Handgun Bayonet...Why?

PDA

nwilliams
March 14, 2007, 06:04 PM
What's the practicality of having a bayonet attachment on a handgun? There's a store in town selling the CZ-SP01 with Bayonet tac-rail attachment and I just wonder why is that worth an extra $100? Maybe its just me but when I see stuff like this I immediately think "mall ninja". But if there is any practical reason to have this option on your pistol I'd love to know.

Here's an image I swiped off an earlier THR post:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Bayonet...Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Deer Hunter
March 14, 2007, 06:11 PM
Because the CZ Is the only handgun out there manly enough to weild a bayonet. :evil:

I say it's just "for the hell of it".

CountGlockula
March 14, 2007, 06:11 PM
I'd rather have that than this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/W111D002.jpg

There's a little Mall Ninja in all of us.

RNB65
March 14, 2007, 06:13 PM
1. Anything for a buck.

2. There will be a few people dumb enough to buy one.

Need I say more?

p.s. The SP01 (*without* the blade) is a darn fine weapon. I've got one!

CWL
March 14, 2007, 06:14 PM
Looks dumb to me too.

Can you remove the bayonet blade and keep the attachment? This could be useful by itself because it will keep the pistol from being pushed out-of-battery if you are ever in an encounter where the BG has rushed into your gun.

Vern Humphrey
March 14, 2007, 06:14 PM
I can think of two reasons:

Because they can.

To really jerk Sarah Brady's chain.
:neener:

RNB65
March 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
What's missing is a front hand grip. The SP01 is a heavy gun with 19rds of 9mm ammo. Add that blade, the mount, and a Surefire and you're talking one heavy mother.

On the positive side, follow-up shots should be a breeze cause that muzzle ain't going to budge. :)

CountGlockula
March 14, 2007, 06:36 PM
If you put that on a Glock with a 30+ round magazine, you can use it as a tomahawk.

Texfire
March 14, 2007, 07:47 PM
Can you remove the bayonet blade and keep the attachment? This could be useful by itself because it will keep the pistol from being pushed out-of-battery if you are ever in an encounter where the BG has rushed into your gun.

Yes you can. I thought of that very same advantage when I first looked at one. If I remember they are a little pricey however, in the $180 range. As far as why? Why not.

I've heard some claim that they wanted one so they could imagine the expression on the first anti-gunner who sees it, but that's a little childish... :neener:

Tex

MikePGS
March 14, 2007, 08:37 PM
Because its funny:)

MICHAEL T
March 14, 2007, 08:42 PM
For a walking drive by.

Smith357
March 14, 2007, 08:47 PM
They have been doing it for centuries with good reason. In close quarter combat when you run out of bullets you already have the knife in your hand.

Geronimo45
March 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
So you don't mar the finish on your gun by pistol-whipping somebody.
I think it's a bit silly, but anything that increases your chances of survival can't be a bad thing - let somebody try to disarm you with a bayonet on the end of your weapon. Might be a little more intimidating to an attacker that way, to boot.

ARTiger
March 14, 2007, 09:29 PM
Best be careful re-holstering that thing . . . ouch!
Definately not for IWB carry.

SoCalShooter
March 14, 2007, 09:31 PM
I would definetly mount a bayonet on my HK if they made a mount for the HK.

Phaetos
March 14, 2007, 10:00 PM
Count,

Is that a video camera attached to your gun?

briansp82593
March 14, 2007, 10:02 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ hahahahahah god on a 35 that thing sticks off a inch or so :barf: :neener: put it on a 30! hahahah

jwerlc
March 14, 2007, 10:03 PM
:what: NO Mexican Carry:what:

P5 Guy
March 14, 2007, 10:04 PM
No Mexican carry for that one:what:

briansp82593
March 14, 2007, 10:23 PM
Handgun Bayonet...Why? why you ask? because we are americans we must have everything tacticool :evil: (my thoughts) hmm i wonder if i can mount a dremel on my pistols ???

jlbraun
March 14, 2007, 10:52 PM
That is the CZ bayonet. They also make a holster for it! :what: !

waynedm
March 14, 2007, 10:55 PM
because we are americans we must have everything tacticool (my thoughts) hmm i wonder if i can mount a dremel on my pistols ???

I can't wait for this tacticool fad to be over with! Dremel really should think about making a holster though, at least that has a purpose.

As to the why on the bayonet though, I'd say because we can. Yes, that's my answer. You're not a liberal or something are you? J/k

tank mechanic
March 14, 2007, 11:06 PM
If you put that on a Glock with a 30+ round magazine, you can use it as a tomahawk

ROTFL!

Eightball
March 15, 2007, 12:52 AM
Why not? I want that getup just to irritate every anti on earth.

cold dead hands
March 15, 2007, 02:10 AM
now I know some aren't gonna like my response, but the first that came to mind was that as soon as the blade comes to the hilt in the stabbed SOB you pull the trigger. If that combo move dosen't end the threat immediately you are so screwed. we now return you to the regular program.

JDGray
March 15, 2007, 12:53 PM
No ones gonna try to grab your gun, thats for sure:D

Teufelhunden
March 15, 2007, 01:17 PM
Holster, or scabbard? :neener:

-Teuf

SniperStraz
March 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
They have been doing it for centuries with good reason. In close quarter combat when you run out of bullets you already have the knife in your hand.
Its crazy for a carry gun, but for HD I could see the sense for the very same reason. If you practice using the blade in that form I suppose it might be useful. I'd prefer to just carry a knife seperately, but some might like it for a nightstand gun. In reality its probably just for guys to show there friends.

peteinct
March 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
You never know when you will be messing wth the undead.
pete

doubleg
March 15, 2007, 01:47 PM
Because no matter what you make and try to sell there will always be someone dumb enough to buy it.

raz-0
March 15, 2007, 02:38 PM
It was initially made to be something funny and to catch people's attention at shot show.

Then people asked where they could buy them.

So they made some, because there were interested customers.

JDGray
March 15, 2007, 03:56 PM
This CZ looks more practical:D
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/cz75fa.jpg

atomd
March 15, 2007, 04:22 PM
I would prefer the rail mounted chainsaw model with a coke machine and mp3 player installed. That way I can cut some firewood, have a soda, and listen to some tunes while defending myself.

Master Blaster
March 15, 2007, 05:07 PM
Arrrgh Me Bucckos, Captain Master Blaster here.

All Me pirates on the SS Mall Ninja, need a Bayonette when we are boarding the SS diarreah in the food court. A cutlas is old fashioned when ya can shoot em and Guttem soos ya can eatem while their warm. Now show me a Cutlass with a glock on the handguard and I'll show ya a real pirate weapon.

Obviously none of you have raped and pillaged like the scurvy dogs I work with or you would see the value:o .

DrDremel
March 15, 2007, 05:10 PM
Originally it was a joke at the ShotShow. Enough people asked where to get one and there it is. I think it would be great for a joke but i can't see buying one.

Correia
March 15, 2007, 05:17 PM
It was initially made to be something funny and to catch people's attention at shot show.

That was what I was told by Angus (CZ's pro shooter) at the SHOT booth the first time I saw this thing. Some of them did it as a joke, but then bunches of folks wanted to buy it. I'm trying to remember, but that was probably about three SHOT shows ago.

If you enjoyed reading about "Handgun Bayonet...Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!