45 Conundrum

PDA

LT 102
March 15, 2007, 09:06 PM
I am looking for a new 45 of the non 1911 type. To be used for household pest control and occaisional CCW. I want it to have a light rail. I have been looknig at a few and want opinions on them. Glock 21, Taurus 24/7 and Ruger p345. I know that I can get either the Ruger or Taurus new at my local store for less than $400 and still have cash left for ammo. But am wondering if the Glock is worth an extra $150 or so

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Conundrum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
March 15, 2007, 09:09 PM
No 1911? Well then, The Taurus 24/7 for sure.

Well, maybe the XD. :)

Depends on what fits you. The XD is a fare bit bigger.

Welcome to THR.

LittleLebowski
March 15, 2007, 09:14 PM
Glock 21 Slim line.

doncameron
March 15, 2007, 09:16 PM
why not a CZ?
Or a Witness?
I have a witness in .45, cost was $325 OTD
10+1.

Geronimo45
March 15, 2007, 09:17 PM
I've heard of the .45 GAP, ACP, Long Colt, and .45-70. Never heard of a .45 Conundrum.

Seriously, though:
"wondering if the Glock is worth an extra $150 or so"
Glocks - whatever you may think of their looks, are pretty darned tough guns - so are the Rugers. Taurus' have a good reputation, too. Handle each one, see which kind fits you better. Some folks find one gun or the other too thick to grip. Sometimes the angle of the Glock isn't conducive to good shooting in some people.

alucard0822
March 15, 2007, 09:19 PM
Sig P220, a little expensive, but probably the best combat sa/da or dao 45 made. If price was an issue I would try to find a used one, but used sigs are hard to find and sell quickly. Just about anyone that fires one will end up buying one.

10-Ring
March 15, 2007, 09:33 PM
My first choice & recommendation would be for the USPc 45

MikePGS
March 15, 2007, 09:41 PM
I to say to look for a used Sig P220.

LT.Diver
March 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
I emphatically agree with the SIG p220. The SIG's are rugged as hell, extremely accurate and they have one of the most comfortable grip frames. Personally, I wouldn't take a Taurus for free.

waynedm
March 15, 2007, 10:30 PM
On budget go for Ruger. If you can handle the handle size of the Glock or like it better for some reason go for that. If you really want to blow a wad go for a USP. Leave the Taurus in the gun shop. Horrible.

Colt46
March 15, 2007, 10:33 PM
Only one complaint. Dry firing it without a magazine may damage the firing pin. Not all that desirable of an attribute and one you ought to be aware of.
If you can live with this it's a fine weapon.

waynedm
March 15, 2007, 10:34 PM
The magazine being in it doesn't have an effect on the firing pin. Also, you can dry fire the hell out of Rugers all day and you won't hurt their firing pins.

prolanman
March 15, 2007, 10:52 PM
You can get a Sig P220 Carry CPO for around $550.

GunNut
March 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
Slightly used 3rd Gen Glock 21 and a you will still have money left over for ammo.

Last week I picked up a 6 month old used Glock 21 w/less than 200 rounds through it for $420 FTF, there are lots of great deals out there.

Steve

briansp82593
March 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
glock or sig... i would say beretta but i dont like the cougars

camper
March 15, 2007, 10:55 PM
You should also check out the Springfield XD 45ACP pistols.

obxned
March 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
Ruger P345 - it hits what you aim at, it eats whatever you feed it, and it is sleek and smooth for easy carry!!!!

ARTiger
March 15, 2007, 11:20 PM
Get a CZ 97!~Same accuracy, reliability, build quality and some would say better ergonomics than a P220 or USP for half the price. Ruger, Taurus, Glock and Springfield are fourth through seventh place contenders in non-SA .45's in my opinion (sure lots of folks like all 4, (many even more so than CZ, HK or Sig) but take a look and decide for yourself.)

tbtrout
March 15, 2007, 11:23 PM
CPO Sig P220, you can not go wrong.

Run&Shoot
March 16, 2007, 03:14 AM
Lots of good suggestions. I too would look for a used SIG P220 or P245. I picked up a used (not CPO) SIG P245 last year for $450. Hardly any wear on it and shoots great. Like already mentioned though they can be hard to find. Mine had been on display 1.5 hrs when I saw it and bought it.

If a used SIG is not available then I'd consider the CZ or Glock. Ruger and Springfield XD do not have any spare parts available. You must send it to the factory for any repairs. The CZ and Glock have lots of spare parts on the open market (at least the CZ 75, not sure about the 97). If this is one of your main fighting irons, then you don't want to have to sendit away for a couple of weeks and pay $80 in overnight shipping.

B yond
March 16, 2007, 03:53 AM
It has lots of safety features (mag disconnect safety, loaded chamber indicator, 8 lb. stacking DA trigger pull, key lock built into manual safety, and the way the manual safety cams the firing pin away from the striker and locks it in position). I feel these features make it safer for use in a home where children may be present, which is the main reason I prefer it over Glock. You can get one in a decocker-only model if you don't like having a manual safety, and all the other features are easily ignored, except of course for the DA trigger pull.

I'm not fond of grip safeties, which is why I didn't even consider an XD.

As for the Sigs, I couldn't tell you if they're any better or worse than the Ruger P345, I've got no experience with them.

It is true that you shouldn't dry fire a p345 without a magazine inserted or the magazine disconnect safety removed. It could cause a failure to fire.

Handgun Midas
March 16, 2007, 04:04 AM
^^ I'm editing for some obvious P345 damage control ^^
I can't believe you brought the mag-disconnect up as a positive feature.

You can remove the mag-disconnect in minutes. All you need is a dowl, a hammer, and a hex wrench.
You should remove the mag-disconnect, because it can do more harm than good for a CCW piece.
No lawyer is going to miss that tiny crumb of steel.

Said crumb is the piece that could potentially break with extended empty-chamber dry-firing.
When it is gone, so is the tiny possibility that your gun turns into a brick.

I always give support to the P345 as a CCW platform.
If you are a big-bore guy, but not a cock'n'lock guy, then the P345 has a lot to offer.

It also helps to think that single stack is sexy.

deltacharlie
March 16, 2007, 11:08 AM
I am looking for a new 45 of the non 1911 type. To be used for household pest control... does that mean it'll double as conceal carry & home defense or conceal carry and something to carry with you out in your backfield - to also be used for groundhogs & such??

the matter of home defense can be best served with a cheap shotgun (imo).

I want it to have a light rail. I have been looknig at a few and want opinions on them. Glock 21, Taurus 24/7 and Ruger p345. I know that I can get either the Ruger or Taurus new at my local store for less than $400 and still have cash left for ammo. But am wondering if the Glock is worth an extra $150 or so
i'll vote for the 3rd generation Glock21. you can get them used for very good price and they'll still last you a lifetime.

waynedm
March 16, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not fond of grip safeties, which is why I didn't even consider an XD.

Only guns these belong on were designed by JMB. The designers at Springfield must have been high when they decided to put them on the XD. Not only did they put it on they made it so you can't rack the slide without it being depressed. Inane.

I've never seen a P345 with a mag safety. If you can pull the trigger and it drops the hammer with the mag not in it won't have an effect on if the firing pin moves or not. I can't imagine Ruger would be dumb enough to make the mag safety only disable the firing pin block. If they did, that would for sure wreck the firing pin block and pin.

fattsgalore
March 16, 2007, 11:25 AM
As for the Taurus no comment.(I'm a Taurus guy, but don't trust there poly offerings) The Ruger felt great when compared to my Glock23. The P345 was so much more manageable when shoot side by side with my 40.
I'm personally leaning towards a G30 so the 21 would be just fine. What about the XD?

Oh I almost forgot. Look into the Ruger P90 which is the 345's grand daddy. It's literally as solid as they come.

Handgun Midas
March 16, 2007, 02:49 PM
I can't imagine Ruger would be dumb enough to make the mag safety only disable the firing pin block. If they did, that would for sure wreck the firing pin block and pin.Er, that's exactly what they did.

But, once removed...

LT1coupe
March 16, 2007, 10:02 PM
I'm very happy with the PT145SS

another okie
March 16, 2007, 10:07 PM
All the guns you mentioned are reliable and tough. The main way to differentiate them is by action type. Most of the pistols mentioned are DA/ SA with a decocker. If you like that, great. If you want the same trigger pull every time, Glock or Springfield XD are the best choices, though most of those manufacturers do make DAO guns as well.

I like my Glock 21. Based on your criteria, I think you should also look at a Smith or Taurus .45 ACP revolver, which allows you to shoot very light loads, snake shot, and has some other advantages.

longeyes
March 16, 2007, 10:21 PM
Glock 30: will do it all.

ajax
March 16, 2007, 10:25 PM
I will throw my vote for the XD. I would also like to say grip safetys are a non issue unless you don't know how to properly grip a pistol.

CZ-100
March 16, 2007, 10:27 PM
Taurus PT145SS is what I now carry. A little smaller than the 24/7

LT 102
March 16, 2007, 10:37 PM
Went back to the gun shop today and got firm prices....Taurus 24/7 380.00 Ruger 345 400.00 and Glock 21 505.00. After reading all prior posts and spending way too much time thinking about it I am really leaning toward the Glock. I already carry a Glock 27 as my primary CCW and shoot it well and am comfortable with the Glock Safe Action. so it looks like a K.I.S.S. type of thing And I really don't mind paying a little extra to get what I want

waynedm
March 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
Er, that's exactly what they did.

I stand corrected. I took one apart at work today and looked. I can't believe they made a mag safety work that way. They're just asking for problems with that design. If I owned one I'd be pulling that second firing pin block out, it's just going to cause problems. I'm sure somebody will have bad to say about that idea though.

Geno
March 16, 2007, 10:45 PM
For non-1911, I suggest perhaps a Sig.

jman74
March 16, 2007, 10:49 PM
Sig P220. Get the SAO model if you're not opposed to cocked and locked. I've got both a SAO and a DA/SA and the SAO is a completely different animal....

boldkharma
March 16, 2007, 11:57 PM
The S&W M&P 45 will be out soon, like this month or next. I am going to get one for sure as I love the three 9mm M&P's I own right now. I am sure it will be worth the wait.

LT 102
March 17, 2007, 07:23 PM
Thanks for all the other suggestions but I wanted opinions on the guns I listed. Others have been already ruled out because of size or weigth (sig220) or they just didn't feel right. Anyone who wants to discus the Glock 21, Ruger 345 or Taurus 24/7 .45 ACP feel free to comment. Also guns that aren't in shops NOW don't work as I will be purchasing in the next 7-10 days

GunNut
March 17, 2007, 07:33 PM
Since the Glock 21 fits your hand, I would choose it over either the Ruger or Taurus.

Glock has an awesome warranty and will stand behind their product, something Taurus has not done well in the past(may be better now).

For me the thing that tips it over the top for the Glock are tons of aftermarket parts and the plethora of holsters for the 21. Plus, Glock factory 13rd magazines are reliable and reasonably priced(less than $20).

Steve

LT 102
March 17, 2007, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately I live in a "neutered" state, we can't be trusted with any more than 10 rd mags

GunNut
March 17, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'd still go for the Glock.........:D

MPanova
March 19, 2007, 03:06 AM
My vote is for the 24/7 Pro

You already have a glock so why not try something new. I owned a glock 21 and sold it. I own 2 24/7 Pro .45's now :D one of which has over 5000 rounds through it with out one single problem. and for accuracy I would put it up against any glock or 345 any day of the week. I own a P90 also and I will say it is built like a tank, and I have well over 40,000 rounds through it over the last 10 years, and its still going lol not sure how the new poly rugers hold up verses there older brothers.

12 shots at 14 yards.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/gallery/122_15_01_07_5_34_12.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "45 Conundrum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!