Whats the best gun oil for a semi automatic?

PDA

intrepid953
March 16, 2007, 03:37 AM
I'm new to the gun scene and was wondering if there was a certain type/brand of oil that seems to be better for your pistols than others. Thanks in advance for any input.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best gun oil for a semi automatic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
March 16, 2007, 03:38 AM
Remington makes a great gun oil and IMO there is no better.

Also, welcome to THR... :)

Geronimo45
March 16, 2007, 03:43 AM
Another Rem Oil feller here. And welcome.

Remoil says it's got some sort of teflon in it to stick to your parts after the oil's gone away. Extra level of protection on the metals.

WD 40's usually not looked too well upon. Think it tends to gunk up.

lwrnc1963
March 16, 2007, 04:02 AM
Tetra gun grease. Oil runs from where you put it and evaporates.

Richiec77
March 16, 2007, 04:12 AM
I've been having good luck with this new synthetic oil I tried out. It's MCM or MMC. Can't remember how it's suppose to go. I usually just use rem oil or Hopps 9 since I well maintain any piece I use. But this stuff tends to stay put rather well.

Bob M.
March 16, 2007, 04:16 AM
Another Rem Oil feller here. And welcome.

Same here.

Handgun Midas
March 16, 2007, 05:14 AM
FP-10 for coating, Slide-Glide on the rails and lugs (although I've been interested in RZ-50)

mes228
March 16, 2007, 08:56 AM
I have a story about Rem. Oil. and why I use it. I have an aluminum shower curtain rod with the curtain being hung by hard metal curtain hangars. The hangars always "gall" and hang up on the rod. They just will not slide on the soft metal of the rod. I've tried grease and several other lubricants to make it slide easy. Some worked to a degree, none last very long. My wife used Rem Oil on a cloth and oiled the rod. It's absolutely amazing. Months of showers, water, hot steam, etc. and it's still sliding like butter. I can't believe how slick and lasting the lubrication is. I now use Rem Oil on all my guns. I also use Gun Tek grease on my semi-auto slides. The Teflon in the Rem Oil is amazing. I always had it on my gun bench but really never used it until my wife did on the shower curtain. Now it's all I use. Shower rod looks dry as a bone, but it's still slick as owl s#&t!!
I think Rem Oil would prevent galling on alloy frame guns or stainless guns in a big way. Continues to work even when it's not visible and looks dry.

loplop
March 16, 2007, 09:02 AM
mes228, you are the MAN. I am going to try that, I have the same issue!!! I pulled the damn rod down the other day, made so much noise one of my dogs came running in "I'm gonna get 'em" mode. :banghead:

I don't actually use Rem Oil, but I'll try it.

I've been using Hoppe's oil for years now. Seems to work as well as any. I clean (usually after firing!) my carry guns at least once a week, so I don't worry about some magical oil that will work for 10 years. I recently took a "safe queen" (my one and only!) to the range after it had sat for about 9 months. It worked fine through the whole range session. Hoppe's has always done the job for me...

Browns Fan
March 16, 2007, 09:14 AM
I like Rem Oil, too. I even use it on my AR, even though most would recommend CLP.

DawgFvr
March 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
I use Tetra grease (same as on my M1 Garand) on all auto pistol rails and "shiny" spots. Oil goes on other metal parts with a shaving brush...leaves a film.;)

waynedm
March 16, 2007, 11:43 AM
Remoil seems to be pretty good stuff, I use it at work a lot. On my own guns I just put some Amsoil in a little bottle and use that.

Onmilo
March 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
Oh wait, you did say gun oil.
I was going to suggest Tetra Gun Grease but you did specifically ask for an oil so I won't recommend the Tetra Gun Grease.

waynedm
March 16, 2007, 12:21 PM
Everybody knows the best stuff is that Commie cosmoline.

Redhat
March 16, 2007, 12:34 PM
Use CLP on duty weapon and FP10 on my personal weapons.

ugaarguy
March 16, 2007, 12:41 PM
If it slides grease it, if it pivots oil it. Plain white lithium auto grease works well, and any full synthetic engine oil also does the job. I've had RemOil gum up on several guns and now avoid it.

longeyes
March 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
I use Remington oil except on the rails, where I use Wilson's grease.

Arc-Lite
March 16, 2007, 01:17 PM
any quality synthetic.....I like Mili-Tec1, dri-slide, microlon....find something that does not pick up dirt.....and has a treating effect to the metal. lots of snake oils out there.....

mljdeckard
March 16, 2007, 01:18 PM
I use CLP, and recently I spent two days cleaning weapons to make up for a drill I missed in the guard, and I was reminded that it really does work well for all applications. I have been spoiled in my own guns for a long time, using a combination of hoppe's, aerosol scrubbers, and clp only to lube, but you really can use CLP for all of the above if you have to. (The Army doesn't HAVE to, they are just cheap.) I stole a gallon of the stuff 13 years ago and I've still only used about 1/3 of it.

I have had other guys in here swear that synthetic motor oil, (Mobil one 5w30 full synthetic) is the best all around lube for everything. I asked why, and they said it ias detergent properties that make it very resistant to attracting grit the way regular motor oil does. I use the same stuff in both my cars, maybe when I run out of CLP, I'll give it a try.

000Buck
March 16, 2007, 01:29 PM
What kind of pistol? Some guns like oil, some like grease. I know Kahr PM9s run much smoother with grease(I use Tetra), while others dont work any better with grease than oil. As someone else said, Garands and M14s seem to work better with grease. AR15s seem to like oil better. Glocks dont seem to care either way.

Go to Walmart and get some Rem oil and a thing of Tetra grease and try them both on your gun. Rack the slide and see which one is smoother. If you go with grease, it seems to pick up and store grime easier, so you have to keep that in mind.

CountGlockula
March 16, 2007, 01:49 PM
I use Hoppes #9.

kokapelli
March 16, 2007, 04:00 PM
Grease and oil attract dirt and lint!

RZ50 goes on wet and is dry in ten seconds.

RZ50 will not migrate, attract, lint or dirt, will stay put and be effective for years!

Jim Watson
March 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
I am like the top competitive shooter who said "I use whatever came for free in the last match goodie bag." Most recently I got a big bottle of FP10 and a little one of MCM that do very well. So do Breakfree, Miltech-1, milsurp LWO, LSA, and Mobil 1. I still have some of the little tubes of Gunslick graphite grease that the local hardware store used to include with every gun sale, and some Lubriplate lithium grease. They stick to an auto's rails well.
Corrosion-X is a good rust preventative but too thin for lube.

Lots of stuff will work, you just have to put some on the contact surfaces regularly, a gun does not have an oil sump, pump, or filter. As the old time bullseye shooter said of his tightly fitted .45, when it stops throwing oil in your face, it has just barely enough left.

MrAcheson
March 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
CLP and I grease the rails with militec.

GCW5
March 16, 2007, 04:28 PM
I've had good luck with Break Free.

dhoomonyou
March 16, 2007, 04:50 PM
Remoil for lube, EEZOX for cleaning and coating.

spencerhut
March 16, 2007, 06:22 PM
Mobile One oil and Mobile One grease with the occasional CLP.

BAT1
March 16, 2007, 08:04 PM
Gun lubricant for all mine now.

STAGE 2
March 16, 2007, 09:38 PM
FP-10. I would never use grease for any sort of duty/carry weapon.

Fun2Shoot
March 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
Break-free CLP for many years, but lately if I'm a little lazy during a cleaning session, I just blast the gun with Gun-Scrubber and then a quick spray of Rem oil aersol on the internals and a wipe of the exterior.

1911ShooterTJ
March 16, 2007, 09:48 PM
I use both Rem-Oil and Break-Free CLP. No particular favorite, but both work well for me!

Brian Williams
March 16, 2007, 10:29 PM
1911tuner has been testing some stuff that is truly amazing

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=250842

tbtrout
March 16, 2007, 10:39 PM
Let me add another vote for Tetra.

Diamondback
March 17, 2007, 12:30 AM
In no particular order..... and whatever happens to be handy at the moment.....I use : FP-10, Tetra, Rem Oil, Break-Free CPL, or Tuf-Glide.
6 of 1, half dozen of the other, to me. I just wouldn't use 3 in 1 Oil.....if I could help it. :)

- Regards

kansas45
March 17, 2007, 12:46 AM
I like Mobile 1 5W/30 for almost everything that needs lube. From door hinges, to fishing reels & my firearms. It stays put & works good. I know everyone has their favorite lube & that is a good thing!

10-Ring
March 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
I have been a fan of Militec for several years now...good stuff!

March 17, 2007, 12:50 AM
I've tried them all, couldn't tell a difference between any of them save one. The only oil I didn't care for over the last 16yrs is Remoil, seemed thin and burned off.

sfhogman
March 17, 2007, 01:05 AM
If it rotates or pivots, ATF. If it slides or needs to stay put to work, Tetra grease. The ATF has mucho detergents and antioxidants, which I like. Plus, it's cheap and easily available...

intrepid953
March 25, 2007, 12:26 AM
Thanks for all the input.
Dan

Mortech
March 25, 2007, 03:47 AM
People please , WD-40 is NOT a lubricant .. its a water displacement chemical originally design to dry out electronics safely .

Pilot
March 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
CLP to clean and lube then Tetra grease on the rails. No Rem Oil nor WD-40.

Chuck R.
March 25, 2007, 10:03 AM
Richiec77: I've been having good luck with this new synthetic oil I tried out. It's MCM or MMC. Can't remember how it's suppose to go. I usually just use rem oil or Hopps 9 since I well maintain any piece I use. But this stuff tends to stay put rather well.

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/images/products/1-oz--Metal-Conditioner.jpg

Itís MMC! Iíve been using it since a little bottle came with each of my Baers, The stuff really does work well, and I use it on everything now.

Chuck

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/products.html

Walkalong
March 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
People please , WD-40 is NOT a lubricant .. its a water displacement chemical originally design to dry out electronics safely .

Water displacement is right, but don't light a match or get it around a spark!!!!!

Buy contact cleaner for live electrical stuff. It won't go Kaboom.:)

Matt King
March 25, 2007, 06:46 PM
I use Break Free CLP.

orionengnr
March 25, 2007, 07:05 PM
I use Hoppes for cleaning the bore, then Eezox all-over.

Howerver, I do look forward to trying "Tuner-Goo" (now you have a name for it:))

ofelas
August 4, 2008, 01:29 PM
Tetra Gun Oil wiped dry & buffed; I'm good for all temparatures & environments.

Noxx
August 4, 2008, 01:32 PM
I prefer CLP for oil, and Mobil synthetic (that scary red glop) for greasing rails.

usp9
August 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
There is no "best". Your pistol will function with any quality gun oil.

RNB65
August 4, 2008, 03:47 PM
I use BF CLP and a tiny bit of Mobile One synthetic grease on rails.

ZeSpectre
August 4, 2008, 03:53 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!
Year and a half dead, and still kicking (apparently) :neener:

M1911
August 4, 2008, 03:56 PM
Frankly, I don't think it matters much. Most any light oil will work. I use Mobil 1 these days.

Eric F
August 4, 2008, 04:00 PM
first off.....People please , WD-40 is NOT a lubricant .. its a water displacement chemical originally design to dry out electronics safely .

PIG @#$%..........it was designed as a fishing additive and its the best one I have ever used:neener:

That being said I have used a bunch of stuff. I have seen stuff atract dust and dirt I have seen stuff evaporate I have seen one lube remove the blueing right off a gun. Brian enos has a lube I think todd Jerrit had one too. Triflo break free pb blaster mineral oil mobile 1 wheele bearing grease. All this stuff and so far the best and cheapest still works and rings true. I get it from the grocery store in a black red and white can called household lubricant. $.99 for a 3 oz can last me 6 months stays flowing in freezing weather does not get too runny in hot weather repells water does the job. Is there better sure but for the price per oz its the best value.

Black Majik
August 4, 2008, 04:05 PM
I've been using Breakfree CLP, since it's worked fine from the start. Don't really have any other reason to switch. I don't buy into the next wonderlube.

I did get the opportunity to try out Weaponshield, and liked it quite a bit. Maybe when my next bottle of CLP runs out I'll buy it next.

ochmude
August 4, 2008, 04:56 PM
Use the most expensive thing you can possibly find. Just kidding, of course. But seriously, is there really, truly any difference between any of the various lubes/greases. Of course the actual chemical composition is different, but do they vary DRAMATICALLY in performance. I'm of the school of thought that it really doesn't matter. I'm am very open to arguments to the contrary, however. One might run a little, another might attract dirt (but doesn't everything do that?), another might get sticky in the cold. But honestly, will any of them to any of those things in such an extreme way as to make them worse than something else? The way I see it, any lube is as good as any other. If it attracts dust....clean it. If it runs, don't use so much. If you're using it for competition and shooting tons of rounds, I doubt you're concerned about it running or attracting dust, so use lots of it. If you're carrying, and 2 or 3 drops isn't enough to allow your firearm to fire enough rounds to stop an attacker, your firearm sucks. Now, like I said that's just my viewpoint on the matter, and I could very well be totally wrong. Anyone have any other thoughts?

kokapelli
August 4, 2008, 05:16 PM
But seriously, is there really, truly any difference between any of the various lubes/greases.

Am I the only one at this NG that uses Gunzilla?
You bet it's different than the others.

Check this thread at thefiringline.com (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2542658)

floydster
August 4, 2008, 06:48 PM
Dexron 11 ATF the best, can't be beat for lub.
Floydster

johns961
August 4, 2008, 06:54 PM
I have been using Gunzilla for almost two years now. It has been the best
cleaner I have used so far.

John!

ElrodCod
August 4, 2008, 06:54 PM
Lard

kokapelli
August 4, 2008, 06:57 PM
I have been using Gunzilla for almost two years now. It has been the best
cleaner I have used so far.
I was beginning to think I was the only one that used it!

JBP55
August 4, 2008, 08:39 PM
Weapon Shield and TW25B.

Gun Slinger
August 4, 2008, 09:06 PM
Mobil 1.

floydster
August 4, 2008, 09:08 PM
Bear fat

ZeSpectre
August 4, 2008, 09:54 PM
Am I the only one at this NG that uses Gunzilla?
You bet it's different than the others.
Check this thread at thefiringline.com (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2542658)

Well I'm here and I use Gunzilla... but then again that's my thread over on the firing line :evil:

However I mostly use Gunzilla for cleaning and use Weaponshield for lube.

thebaldguy
August 4, 2008, 10:07 PM
I use the LP version of CLP. It works pretty good.

stew38
August 4, 2008, 10:15 PM
Tri-Flow works very good.

bluetopper
August 4, 2008, 10:15 PM
Castrol 20/50

phantomak47
August 4, 2008, 10:28 PM
I would read Grant Cunninghams Blog on Rem oil before I used it. Lots of good info there.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

latively thin oil with the correct properties, and use it very sparingly - most "oil failures" I've seen have been from too much, rather than too little, oil.

Frankly, in terms of mechanical performance most oils "work"; some are better than others, but everything will make parts move for a while. What really gets most oils is lack of corrosion resistance - in a gun, corrosion is a bad thing! There have been lots of claims, but those people who have actually taken the time to run experiments to test corrosion on steel have found that the products with the greatest hype are often the worst at corrosion resistance. Not surprisingly, plain mineral oils, such as Rem Oil, score at the very bottom of the list.

1SOW
August 4, 2008, 10:34 PM
Routine Cleaning: Militec on all hot/high friction areas, rem-oil the rest SPARINGLY.
I clean with Hoppes #9 or Shooters Choice.

gtd
August 5, 2008, 01:24 AM
I used a Hoppes kit (grease, oil, and solvent) for years on my shotgun, and was always displeased.

I now used Break-Free exclusively on my shotgun and two semi-auto pistols and a revolver, with remarkable results.

xd45gaper
August 5, 2008, 01:30 AM
Graphite :)

ltetmhs
August 5, 2008, 01:35 AM
Rem Oil or Lucas

chrissmallwood
August 5, 2008, 06:55 AM
Ive got a can of silicone oil that Ive used a few times. It seems to stick pretty good. If you rub it on your fingers it kinda feels like a thin corn syrup, kinda sticky but real slick at the same time.

71Commander
August 5, 2008, 07:39 AM
CLP and Slide-Glide.

greg531mi
August 7, 2008, 03:50 AM
Marvel Mystery Oil, great for the car and guns.......

MTMilitiaman
August 7, 2008, 04:35 AM
I've seen Breakfree CLP do enough amazing things to absolutely filthy, sandy, gritty M16s and SAWs that I am convinced there is few better choices on the market. It and lately a little specific application of Tetra Gun Grease, which I originally started using with my M1A but now use in limited quantities elsewhere (bolt lugs on semi-autos like the M1A and the AK, as well as bolt actions, and occasionally on frame or receiver rails of rifles, shotguns, and automatic handguns) is about all I use any more.

But when pulling back the bolt of your M16 feels and sounds like the bolt is wrapped in sandpaper, and the application of a couple drops of anything gets it running almost like new again, that something is pretty awesome and can take care of pretty much anything else you care to use it for. That makes CLP pretty awesome, and I almost what to try it on my nachos now.

RemOil never impressed me. It always seemed to evaporate, along with its protective properties, far too fast for my liking. And the only time I've ever used WD-40 on a firearm is on the extremely rare occasion that I have a firearm get wet without having access to even a makeshift cleaning kit in my pack. Usually such a kit is present when I hunting, for example, but not always in some special circumstances. Then, if I can find a can of Whiskey Delta Forty, such as crammed under the back seat of the pickup truck under half a dozen empty Monster cans and Snicker bar wrappers next to the tire iron or by the paper towels in the cubby of the boat buried by life jackets, I'll spray the gun down in WD-40 as a rust preventive measure as it is stored, relatively short term, until I can gain access to a proper gun cleaning kit. I've never used a firearm after applying WD-40 to it, and have only applied WD-40 to a firearm on a small handful of occasions.

P97
August 7, 2008, 09:51 AM
I haven't used anything but Eezox on any of my guns for several years. Use it for cleaning gun, barrel, and lubrication. Guns don't show excessive wear and work good. It does the job for me. :)

Delija
October 26, 2009, 06:00 PM
old thread, but I came across it looking for something else...and figured I'd put in my 2 cents.

Didn't read all the posts, but got the gist of them and agree with not much new to say other than I've been using synthetic fishing reel grease on the rails of my semi-auto guns for years. It is cheap, it's easy to find (any sporting goods store) and it does the job.

I specifically use "South Bend" brand....pretty sure I found it at Sports Authority....no idea if the brand makes a difference. Only important issues to me are that it is synthetic (I believe using petroleum based grease or oils on anything with polymer may be harmful whether my belief is valid or not). I also use it since it has teflon in it which can't be bad for reducing friction, and I like knowing that a very little bit is enough to do the job...unlike using oil (especially on my 1911), I don't feel the need to have a "wet" gun (and get oil on me and my clothes at the range).

For where I use oil (as someone said in this thread.."if it slides use grease, if it pivots use oil"), I use whatever is handy. I usually use CLP, but only because I bought a big bottle years ago. Since I clean my guns each time I shoot them, I don't see how any one oil can really be significantly better than another. Mobil One would seem a good choice since even though it's expensive for motor oil, for a gun oil it's cheap and a quart should last anyone several lifetimes. I'll be sure to try it if I live long enough to run out of what I have.:):):)

Peace,
D.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats the best gun oil for a semi automatic?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!