He dialed 911 that he was being carjacked.

PDA

AZTOY
January 6, 2003, 11:12 PM
January 2, 2003
Fatal Carjacking in Downtown Area

by John Donnelly

Memphis- A body and a
car were dumped behind a vacant building next to Shereka Lawson's home. "It's sad. It's bad and it's sad," she said. It's sad because the victim had called police as he was being carjacked. Sad because he couldn't give them enough details to find the 2002 silver Buick Century before someone shot and killed him. "We need information...description...direction of travel...make...model... try to remember the tag number, " said police spokeswoman LaTanya Abel. It's sad because this area has seen decades of decay and hard times. But it could rebound with the new arena. Business owner Anthony sharp thinks it could happen if crimes like this don't scare away prospective customers. "It's not cool. With us trying to establish a business here. We got downtown coming up. We got the new arena. I mean, he says." Lawson hopes the development will mean more police attention, and fewer crimes. "They put a lot of money into downtown...they're going to stop a lot of this," she says. Police have not identified the victim. If you have any information call Crimestoppers at 528-CASH.http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=1069232

If you enjoyed reading about "He dialed 911 that he was being carjacked." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
January 6, 2003, 11:19 PM
I put more faith in my Mod 27 than I do in 911 when my life is in danger!

Blackhawk
January 6, 2003, 11:22 PM
But it could rebound with the new arena. I've seen some disgusting stretches in news coverage before, but this has got to be the no-taste prize winner.... :fire:

sm
January 6, 2003, 11:45 PM
Arena, yeah we heard that cock and bull story here too, and the Klinton library,and rebuilding downtown. Money is all they want. We can't carry here in Arena, were alcohol served (downtown rebirth area , lots of places serve) and can't carry in Library--and swore never to attend Klinton's.

Thieves know this -guess whereBG's hang out?

Lady the other day CJ-ed outside Memphis, tossed in trunk, called daughter on phone, daughter gave 911 description of mom's car--she survived.

MitchSchaft
January 7, 2003, 01:20 AM
Memphis- A body and a car were dumped...

Gotta love Memphis.:banghead:

Double Naught Spy
January 7, 2003, 10:45 AM
911 would not have worked even if he had all the proper information. It isn't as if the Starship Enterprise is orbiting overhead with police ready to beam down directly to a specific location every time 911 is called.

It isn't the fault of 911 either, but of the system in general and I don't know how the system can be improved short of having cops on every corner. When you call for help, any time of help, people must react to your call. That alone tells you that you are behind the curve.

In most of the carjacking situations I have read about, I really have to wonder why it is the victims seem to have enough time and ability to dial the phone but don't seem able to try to drive their cars away?

Carlos Cabeza
January 7, 2003, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a push for CCW to me !!!!! But the kind where your state doesn't try to make its budget balance !! i.e. FREE !

Daniel T
January 7, 2003, 01:26 PM
In most of the carjacking situations I have read about, I really have to wonder why it is the victims seem to have enough time and ability to dial the phone but don't seem able to try to drive their cars away?

I have to wonder that as well. What the hell? Was he stopped at a red light and so much of a sheep he couldn't drive through it? Was he trapped between two stopped cars?

sasnofear
January 7, 2003, 01:33 PM
lifes cheap!

2nd Amendment
January 7, 2003, 01:50 PM
That is a good question. Stoplight? Too bad. Cars blocking me? I'm glad I always drive big cars, easier to shove the ones in my way to the curb 'cause folks, I am outta there.

Daniel T
January 7, 2003, 02:10 PM
I agree. I would have been causing some serious property damage in order to get the hell out of there.

Double Naught Spy
January 7, 2003, 03:11 PM
In the words of the comedian Ghallager, "I have gas and first gear enough for me and the car in front of me."

By comparison to the concern on why people take the time to dial a cell phone, but not try to drive away, most people who end up on fire will not stop to dial 911 on a phone. They may do all sorts of screaming, running, dancing, rolling on the ground, etc., but they never stop to use the phone. Go figure.

jimpeel
January 7, 2003, 04:37 PM
Should have dialed M1911A1.

http://jpfo.org/dial911-small.jpg

80fl
January 7, 2003, 05:03 PM
"It's sad. It's bad and it's sad

It's bad because the dumbing down and PC of the sheeple by the lefties have cost another life. A life that potentially could have been saved by the proper use of, and the willingness TO use a firearm.

It's sad because I don't see any future improvements.

TheOtherOne
January 7, 2003, 05:48 PM
Blackhawk:
I've seen some disgusting stretches in news coverage before, but this has got to be the no-taste prize winner.... Yeah, half way through it I was wondering if I was reading the same story. How did it turn from "murdered carjacking victim" to "revitilizing dowtown"?!

If you enjoyed reading about "He dialed 911 that he was being carjacked." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!