What pistol game do you like to play -- and why?

PDA

faustulus
June 10, 2003, 01:57 AM
I like IDPA and IPSC. I just like shooting and got tired of doing it from the 15 yard line.

If you enjoyed reading about "What pistol game do you like to play -- and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skunkabilly
June 10, 2003, 03:11 AM
IPSC and Mr Twisted's club (SSA) matches. All steel baby! **DING!!**

Navy joe
June 10, 2003, 11:57 AM
IPSC. Going to start some steel and pin matches, so who knows. Never seen a GSSF match, but seems dirt simple after shooting IPSC. Stand there, no draw and just burn it down. The courses of fire don't seem to hard. Too simple.

IDPA is fine, but the low match round counts bug me. I came to shoot!

Trader
June 10, 2003, 02:28 PM
NRA action pistol (stock gun specifically) is the best all around test there is. Trying to find a match that is not 4 states removed is not easy though.

I would like to try Steel Challange matches too. I know of only 1 in the northeast in Pa.

USPSA and IDPA one can shoot every weekend, but generally bore me.

jdkelly
June 10, 2003, 06:05 PM
IPSC, IDPA, Club Combat shoots, Pin and Plates and Bullseye-Gallery matches. And yet I still s***.

jdkelly

faustulus
June 10, 2003, 09:44 PM
I feel you jd, I feel you.

ACP230
June 10, 2003, 10:00 PM
I had a ball shooting bowling pins for 10 years at the old Second Chance Shoot.

Steel plates come in second and IDPA third.

Devonai
June 10, 2003, 10:08 PM
I know this isn't exactly what you mean, but I enjoy force-on-force training with Airsoft pistols. It really puts some meaning into "beating the clock," because the clock is another human. Plus, if you use an Airsoft pistol that is a copy of your carry weapon, you can use the same holster. It is a very illustrative, if often frustrating, kind of training.

Always remember eye protection, kids!

John Forsyth
June 10, 2003, 10:29 PM
IDPA and you know why.

Tractors are moving dirt.

Tacblack
June 11, 2003, 02:09 AM
I shoot IPSC and some IDPA already, but I think some bowling pin matchs would be a blast. I have done man vs man steel before it was great. I also found I suck at man vs man steel!!!

Mil Novecientos Once
June 11, 2003, 08:31 PM
IDPA, I don't like IPSC because of the equipment race. IDPA is the closest thing to reality.

Navy joe
June 11, 2003, 08:42 PM
MNO- Have you ever shot an USPSA(IPSC) match? Are you aware of the stock classes (Limited, Limited 10, Production, and revolver)? Do you realize that IDPA has a timer and a scoresheet too? Or that many of the shooters show up with Wilson and Ed Brown 1911s for the match, but their real carry gear is closer to a P-32 often?

A fun game it is, reality it isn't. Like what you want, don't bash the rest.

Mil Novecientos Once
June 11, 2003, 10:19 PM
A fun game it is, reality it isn't.
I said that IDPA is the closest thing to reality, I did not say it is real because is just a game.
Like what you want, don't bash the rest.
I did not bashed ISPC, I just expressed my opinion.
BTW the thread starter asked: What pistol game do you like to play -- and why?

faustulus
June 12, 2003, 01:42 AM
Don't be too hard on Navy Joe, he is probably like me and has heard the "IDPA is real. IPSC is just a game" line once too often. Truth is neither are anything like real life. But both are good fun and good pratice with live rounds and a little bit of adrenellin (or however you bloody spell it).
Sometimes we get gun shy (pun intended) over the percieved rivalry -- although in my experince most guys just like to shoot and couldn't care what combination of letters are used. :)

Andrew Wyatt
June 12, 2003, 03:01 AM
"shrug" my carry gun when i get my ccw will my my pistol, which is a fullsized 1911.

If you approach competition like it's a game, then you won't get the training value from it you should, even if the competition is "International actually get in gunfights pistol league".

on the obverse, you can increase your ability to survive in a gunfight by approaching all competition as if you're actually in a gunfight, even if it's the "international shoot guns that can't be concealed in a safe with 300 round magazines that shoot lead bullets at 300fps and have compensators and reddots and windspeed meters shooting confederation".

just my opinion.

Quantrill
June 12, 2003, 07:01 AM
Bullseye - National Match - because it teaches the basics and if you can shoot bullseye, with a little practice, any of the other disciplines will come easier. Quantrill

Poodleshooter
June 12, 2003, 05:41 PM
IDPA:
It gives a little variety to my normal bullseye shooting routine.

SDC
June 13, 2003, 10:35 AM
I've shot all of the "named" events above (except for IDPA; no local club shoots it), and I've enjoyed them all tremendously. Bowling pins are like "plinking under pressure", IPSC is "try to shoot as fast as you can think", and GSSF is "oh boy, I sure hope I don't mess up THIS run". Shooting is good, and the more flavours you try, the more you'll find you like.

dev_null
June 13, 2003, 10:46 AM
Other: SASS (Single Action Shooting Society).

-0-

Archie
June 14, 2003, 03:07 AM
Bullseye, as Quantrill said: It is the basis for all pistol shooting.
PPC, similar to bullseye and I like revolvers.
Cowboy Action. Because I really did want to be a cowboy.

3 gun
June 14, 2003, 01:42 PM
I play all the games you list but I carry a card for USPSA. My outlook is if I have ammo and a pistol I'm in! Equipment (in most games) only gets important when you start out shooting your gun. I can't so I find fun in all the games.

Fed168
June 14, 2003, 02:23 PM
PPC is my game. I like the challenge- it still is after several seasons.

Jeeper
June 14, 2003, 06:43 PM
Like many of the people here I have shot all the various types of competitions: USPSA, IDPA, Bullseye, Pins, Steel, Sihlouette. FOr me the biggest challenge is USPSA. I shot sihlouette for a while including doing good in the nationals one year but it became rather boring since it is the same all the time. I really like the competition and USPSA has the most skilled shooters IMHO. Hell the first IDPA national had Rob L. winning them even though he rarely ever shot a IDPA match.

Fatelvis
June 28, 2003, 04:12 PM
IHMSA. I like long range, steel silhouttes, and iron sights!

Billll
July 6, 2003, 04:44 PM
Our club will be trying something new Aug 2: Duathlon featuring mountain bike riding and pistol. That's the kind of bike you pedal, and any pistol with open sights and pistol caliber bullets. Targets are 1 sq ft steels at 50 yds. Other than that, it's just like winter biathlon. Hazards include prarie dog holes, rattlesnakes, and dry gullies. Guns will not be carried this year, but maybe next year if I can be convinced that a header off a bike with a loaded handgun presents no risk of AD. Maybe we'll make 'em carry unloaded.

wildman
July 6, 2003, 06:51 PM
IPSC. Lots of rounds, my way

Dr.Who
July 6, 2003, 07:15 PM
IDPA. SASS. Trap and Skeet.... In that order

Prodigalshooter
July 7, 2003, 09:22 AM
IDPA for me presently, I'm planning on trying the steel plates soon too.

taoshooter
July 9, 2003, 09:32 AM
Haven't been shooting (handguns) for very long but.....

First I tried Bullsey: Nice people, nice guns, like watching paint dry.
Then IDPA: Nice people, nice guns, and fun.
Then USPSA: Nice people, guns to drool over, and FUNNER.
Had one try at Steel: Nice people and the best sound I ever heard.

Think I'll be primarily sticking with USPSA since its very available in my area and Steel whenever I can although I need LOTS of practice.
:D

10-Ring
July 9, 2003, 11:52 AM
IDPA so far...until I find the time to join Skunk at a IPSC match!

Skunkabilly
July 9, 2003, 11:55 AM
Dr.Who
IDPA. SASS. Trap and Skeet.... In that order
With .45 shotshells? :p

10-Ring
IDPA so far...until I find the time to join Skunk at a IPSC match!
What you doing this Sunday? (c'mon I'm skipping church too) :D

Owen
July 9, 2003, 12:30 PM
how could you leave out bullseye!!!! and International Rapidfire, and IHMSA, and Cowboy, and and Steel challenge, and PPC!!!!

taoshooter...bullseye will work wonders for your headshots

faustulus
July 10, 2003, 01:37 AM
Now, now I didn't leave them out, I just lumped them together. ;) Yeah, that's the ticket.

batangueno
July 11, 2003, 01:10 AM
IPSC and IDPA :)

stipilot
July 11, 2003, 09:15 AM
IDPA, I don't like IPSC because of the equipment race.
Mil Novecientos Once,

Aside from being an IDPA promotional cliche' commonly used by a few gun rag writers who have vested interest in the success of IDPA, how does the USPSA PRODUCTION division constitute an equipment race? USPSA has 5 divisions which accomodate everything from stock to anything goes. Competitors only compete within the division and each division has its own separate match results. Combined results have not been valid for years.

taoshooter
July 16, 2003, 12:34 PM
Owen:
Your absolutely right! Sorry, didn't mean to sound critical of what it's (Bullseye) taught me - just said on the 'fun scale' its.......well, work. But, I agree, its necessary work.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "What pistol game do you like to play -- and why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!