SIG 220 or...?

PDA

Liberty1776
March 18, 2007, 01:36 PM
Well, here's my choices - only .45 will do

SIG 220; TAURUS 24/7; GLOCK 21; SPRINGFIELD XD; RUGER 97...

Comments? -- Reliability, accuracy, shootability, etc. For the purposes of this decision, please let's just assume they are all priced the same. The right gun is more important to me than saving $50.

Purpose of gun - mostly just range shooting, but my carry gun at least half the time.

Thank you for your considered opinion...:D

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG 220 or...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
prolanman
March 18, 2007, 01:49 PM
IMO go with the Sig P220 Carry. I have one and it is reliable, is more accurate than I am, and you shouldn't have any problem concealing it. The top end is the same size as a P229 and it will fit in a holster made for a P229R. I also don't care too much for plastic guns. I had a Glock that I got rid of because it just didn't point well for me.

Try to find a range where you can rent and try out the gun you choose prior to buying one. You'll also find that folks at a range ususally won't have a problem with letting you try out therir gun (as long as you pay for your own ammo).

BsChoy
March 18, 2007, 02:26 PM
I have a glock 21 and love the way all glocks point ( I have the 21, a 19, and a 17 and will prob buy a 30 someday) I did handle the P220 single action and that trigger is nice. Wasn't a bad price either 799.00 where I am in NY. I vote the G21 with the 220 a close second

Ala Dan
March 18, 2007, 03:35 PM
SIG P220 ;) :D

Texfire
March 18, 2007, 03:46 PM
I've got a Springfield XD45 Compact and use it as a carry gun. Very happy with it, and haven't had any teething problems. The 10-round compact mag and compatibility with 13-round full size mags was a major selling point for me, along with the grip angle and safety.

I'm also in the process of paying off a very nice used P220, which will be my first Sig. It feels "right" in my hands, something that double stack Sigs never have felt like, and has a nice trigger both in single and double action. I'm not sure if I'll be using it as a carry gun or not.

Haven't carried or shot any of the others, but that's beside the point. What is the point is what shoots well for you and what feels right in your hands. Some criteria that you didn't list that are important for me in a carry gun, but not very important in a range gun; size, weight and concealability(which is really a combination of size, shape and weight). Of your listed criteria, reliability is paramount, shootability is a very subjective criteria and at the very bottom of my list is intrinsic accuracy. I expect that in the case I am actually required to use my carry gun it will be at short range, and at short range most guns have enough accuracy to do the job. Do I ever foresee a situation where I would have to take a long range shot? Possibly, but not enough that I'll choose long range accuracy over daily concealability. My observation has been that tight groups are harder to achieve as size/weight goes down and concealability goes up.

But, these are my criteria, not necessarily yours. Your best bet is to beg, borrow or rent as many of these candidates as you can and see which is best for your purposes.

HorseSoldier
March 18, 2007, 03:53 PM
On your list of options, and if you really don't mind the price differential, then definitely the Sig P-220. I'm with TexFire, the P-220 fits my hand much better than the Sig doublestacks (used to own a P-226, still own a P-220), and has a good trigger and good accuracy straight out of the box.

10-Ring
March 18, 2007, 04:33 PM
The P220 I had was a lemon so recommending them is tough for me. But, with so many fans & a reputation for excellence, I would think that for the most part, they make good stuff!
My first choice in 45 acp is the HK USP 45...so I'll just make things more confusing by adding more variables to your question instead of eliminating them :scrutiny:

Sir Aardvark
March 18, 2007, 04:36 PM
I'm a big SIG fan, so I would have to say get the 220. You will not be disappointed with whatever version of this gun you get. I'm sure you'd end up getting one of the lightweight models since you state you will also be using this for carry.

I do not like Glocks! The only Glock I believe worth considering is the Model 30. I use this as one of my CCW handguns, and it is rather "thick", but it is kinda hard to argue with something that holds 10-rounds of .45ACP and is about the size of my hand.

I also do not like Taurus - there are better guns out there than a Taurus for self-defense.

The XD would be a great choice!. Very comfortable, lightweight, and holds a lot of ammo. If this was just for carry purposes only, I would recommend this.

I also believe that there are better choices than a Ruger.

Master Blaster
March 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
Get the Glock 21 relaible accurate, higher capacity, and doesnt weigh as much as a freighter anchor like the SIG P220 ST I own. And it wont rust and doesnt have a built in lock like the USP.

Try to go to a range and shoot them all, before you decide, whats right for me may not work well for you.

J32A2
March 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
SIG P220:cool:

tbtrout
March 18, 2007, 08:40 PM
Sig P220, without hesitation.

High Planes Drifter
March 18, 2007, 08:47 PM
For the last 2 years I've been pushing the 220 on anyone asking opinions regarding .45's. I've been in more than 1 argument on this site, and over on the Firing Line standing up for the 220. The last 2 times I've been to the range, I could not go through 250 rounds (per visit) without 2 jams (per visit). I bring 5 boxes of Wolf 230fmj with me, and like I said, the last 2 times the gun jammed a total of 4 times. Thats poor for a gun that cost me as much as that Sig cost me. Im using factory Sig mags, the gun and mags are less than 2 years old. As for now, my confidence in the 220 is shaken:uhoh:

The Canuck
March 18, 2007, 08:52 PM
I say try the SIG P220 SAO.

full metal
March 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
I have a question.a saw a llama max 1 at my local gun store,for $200 dollers when i had made up my mine and went back to get it,it was gone. anyway any info on that gun good or bad appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG 220 or...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!