Sigma accuracy question

PDA

klingy
March 20, 2007, 04:45 PM
What is the best group that you were able to achieve with a Sigma (caliber irrelevant) and at what distance?

The reason I ask this is that I (a shooter with a strong preference for revolvers) bought a new SW9VE and thought that the heavy Sigma trigger pull would be a non-issue. The best group (15 shots) I was able to get was 3" at 10 yards. I've had the gun since Saturday and put 200 rounds down-range before I could get it to group this well. My first 100 rounds looked like a 12-gauge shooting 00-buck loads. I took my S&W Model 10 to use as a "control" gun and got a 12 shot, 2 3/4" group at that same range with absolutely no effort. I've been shooting for over 30 years and I just can't figure it out. Is it me or the gun?

Thank you, in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sigma accuracy question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Steve C
March 20, 2007, 05:22 PM
This article claims 3" at 25 yds from a rest.
http://www.gunblast.com/SWSigma9.htm

GCW5
March 20, 2007, 06:07 PM
The only Sigma I shot was a .40 with a real heavy trigger that shot about like you said. I think it had more to do with the trigger than the pistol. I would guess that if you could learn to manage the trigger, it would probably shoot OK.

Just my 2 cents worth.

klingy
March 20, 2007, 08:38 PM
Steve C: I saw that article. Got it saved to my PC. I noticed that his trigger weighed in at 9 pounds. My stock trigger weighed 11 3/4#, sometimes over 12#.

I did read about a trigger spring modification on the S&W forum, but didn't like the idea of completely removing springs. I instead clipped one coil off of the mainspring and the resultant trigger pull is now 10.5 pounds. The same as my revolvers.

GCW5: In addition to the above, I think the trigger break is a major component of my issue. The Sigma has a "snap" when it releases, whereas my model 10 almost "rolls-off" in comparison. I can see that no matter how steady I try to hold the sights on target, when the Sigma trigger break, I get a bit of a jiggle. I've been dry-firing the snot out of this thing and it never stays as solid as with the revolver.

Maybe I should just accept what I already know; I just shoot revolvers better than autos. I went through a heavy Glock phase 15 years ago. I was an Armorer and all that. One day I saw a nice, well-worn S&W Model 64 for less than $200. I figured I'd get it for a "car gun" and not risk loosing one of my Glocks. Long story short, after shooting it at the range, I was amazed how well I shot it. Better groups than with my Glocks. Sold all my autos and picked up revolvers instead.

I even used revolvers when shooting in my clubs Bullseye League. Got a lot of funny looks from all but the old timers, but I showed them that I could still be competetive. Subsequently, I earned the respect of all and stayed with the league for a number of years.

I really only bought the Sigma for the 2 free magazine offer that S&W is offering currently. The way I look at it, giving me 2 free mags ($40 each at the S&W website) is like getting the gun for 1/3 off. I play with it for a little bit more and see if there is any improvement in accuracy. If not, I can still dump it and pick up another wheelgun.

O.K.. I rambled about enough, thank you both for you rapid responses.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sigma accuracy question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!