using locktite on firearms

PDA

Smiley
June 11, 2003, 03:38 AM
In the past I have used loctight on a replacment trigger for my Savage 10FP and also for the scope base mounts for the same. I was hanging out witha friend of mine who was complaing of his scopes coming loose during a recent range visit. We both concluded that using some loctight would be a good idea.

I figured I would also run it by the THR crowd. I was planning on using the blue loctight for the scope bases and mount on my rifles. Is there anything that you suggest doing or not doing in this endevour?

If you enjoyed reading about "using locktite on firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
juicy
June 11, 2003, 04:46 AM
i have loctite on my threads on my m1a

hell the arms manual tells you to use it, remember just on the threads... no need to cover the entire screw with it, take your time, you'll be fine
:)

Steve Smith
June 11, 2003, 11:13 AM
Moving to gunsmithing.

Erich
June 11, 2003, 11:19 AM
Personally, I'd go for blue loctite, not red.

Walt Sherrill
June 11, 2003, 11:51 AM
Blue, not red.

And if you ever have to remove a "loc-tite"ed part, heat it with a soldering iron or other source of heat (if possible), and it'll break loose.

Erich
June 11, 2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the tip, Walt! Hope I never need it!

mete
June 12, 2003, 07:44 AM
No problem ,it's used often. Loctite and epoxy usually breaks loose when heated to 400F.

If you enjoyed reading about "using locktite on firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!