longevity of reloads v. factory loads

PDA

yhtomit
March 23, 2007, 01:32 PM
Hi there!

I'm still a long way from actually getting into reloading, but I have a practical question about reloaded ammunition. Namely, are reloaded cases just as resistant to the ravages of time as are factory loaded ones? I know that commercial ammo has an impressive (to me, "amazing" might be a better word) shelf life.

Assuming that the reloading was properly, carefully done, would you expect a similar shelf life for cartridges you have reloaded? Is commercial ammo somehow otherwise treated (invisible lacquer? :)) to make it resistant to humidity etc, or is a properly seated / crimped cartridge just inherently prepared for the 88pct humidity that too many parts of the U.S. seem to slog through part of each summer?

Sorry if this is a repeated question ... my searching hasn't gotten me a proper thread, though.

Cheers!

timothy

If you enjoyed reading about "longevity of reloads v. factory loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
USSR
March 23, 2007, 03:27 PM
Assuming that the reloading was properly, carefully done, would you expect a similar shelf life for cartridges you have reloaded?

Assuming proper storage, Yes.

Don

Car Knocker
March 23, 2007, 04:39 PM
is a properly seated / crimped cartridge just inherently prepared for the 88pct humidity that too many parts of the U.S. seem to slog through part of each summer?
For long-term storage of both commercial and reloaded ammo, you can't beat a vacuum food-sealer. Bag it, drop in a dessicant pak, suck the air out, seal the bag and drop it in an ammo can.

If you enjoyed reading about "longevity of reloads v. factory loads" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!