XD45 or Sig220

PDA

rj112275
March 23, 2007, 01:19 PM
I've been looking for some time at 45ACP's that are not 1911. Just want something else than another 1911 (sorry for being sacreligious).

The XD carries more rounds and is less money. The Sig220 carries less, but about equal firepower as a 1911. Seven or eight rounds of 45 are more than the SP101 that I carry anyway.

I'd like a gun that I can carry, so I'm really not worried about size much. Will I regret spending less on the XD and eventually want the Sig, or will I buy the Sig and regret that I spent the extra money on a gun only marginally better?

Also, I handled the 220 carry, and I like the standard 220 better (only a 0.5" longer trigger). Any comments on a SAO trigger on the Sig?

I have owned a Sig 239 in 9mm in the past and didn't care for the shorter grip... the 220 has solved that issue with a standard grip. I have not owned any XDs.

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD45 or Sig220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
doubleg
March 23, 2007, 01:29 PM
Check out the Ruger P345. Its single stack, DA/SA, and not as ugly as the sig. Not to mention designed and made in the USA!

deltacharlie
March 23, 2007, 01:35 PM
RJ, for what it's worth...

i've owned the 220. excellent engineering, don't recall it ever failing on me, ate all the ammo i ever fed it. never had a problem with the trigger, very consistent, easy to shoot. the only downside: it's a SIG.

i've had the absolute worst experiences with SIG customer service. so bad in fact that from then on, i have to think twice before owning another.

as to XDs: own/owned, several and love them all. just as reliable as the SIG, at a lower price. 2 things to note; for me, i can shoot the XD more accurate than i ever could my 220, ymmv.
and Springfield-Armory's customer service is top-notch!

some would say buy them both...for those who can afford both (plus ammo) that's not a bad idea. just keep in mind that triggers aren't set in stone, they can be adjusted (for the most part) and these are both great choices, you won't be disappointed either way you go, imo.

enjoy your purchase (whatever it is) and stay safe!

tbtrout
March 23, 2007, 10:12 PM
I have an XD and a P220. As much as I like them both, I would choose the Sig between the two without hesitation. I have had it longer and it has proved to shoot anything that I feed it without any failures. Either one is a good choice, so good luck.

Redhat
March 23, 2007, 10:16 PM
I've always liked the SiG single stacks (P220 and P225) but I own an XD45.

Had no problems wit it either.

varoadking
March 23, 2007, 10:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v22/varoadking/DSC03092.jpg

HMMurdock
March 23, 2007, 10:19 PM
Both are great firearms. Personally, I prefer the Sig P220 because of I find it to be more accurate and better balanced. However, the XD is a good price and who can argue with 13+1 .45s? I don't anticipate being robbed by more than 8+1 thugs at a time, so I'm kosher with the Sig.

What do you value?

Sex appeal? Sig.
Mag Capacity? XD.
Accuracy: Sig.
Ambi Mag Release? XD.
Durability: Both.
Reliability: Both.

If you want something nice to carry for defense and shoot paper at the range, I'd vote for the Sig.

If you need a gun you can get dirty, not take care of, beat around and not feel bad about it and the high capacity really makes your pants tight, the XD is a fine choice.

You win either way.

TRL

Redhat
March 23, 2007, 10:20 PM
Hey VA,

Do they make any models without rails or have they gone the way of the DoDo bird?

HMMurdock
March 23, 2007, 10:31 PM
VA might be more sure than myself, but I'm 90% sure all new Sigs have rails. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either. But I ordered a new P220 and the P220Rs are all that were available to order.

TRL

Redhat
March 23, 2007, 10:33 PM
Sorry, I was referring to the P220

10-Ring
March 23, 2007, 10:37 PM
I don't care for the XD & the P220 I had was a lemon...but chosing between the 2, I'd go w/ the SIG...much nicer ergos, always goes bang, longer track record & classic cool factor going for it!

opd743
March 23, 2007, 11:02 PM
I have only had experience with the SIG so I can't say much about the XD. I got rid of the SIG to get a Glock 21 for the extra magazine capacity back before the XD45 came out. That being said, I would go with the XD. The SIG is a great gun and I'm sure you would be happy with it, I would just like to have the extra rounds. Whatever you do, just get a .45 and be happy.:)

bulltaco
March 23, 2007, 11:26 PM
I got my first 45 in 1988. It was a Sig P220 made in West Germany. Says so on the slide. I was going to buy a SS Colt Series 80 1911 for $440 and ended up with the P220 for $550. Shot both of them and really had no decision when it came time to buy. My wife can out shoot me with it and she ain't no pistolero. I think it has something to do with the ability to bear children!

Ethereal
March 23, 2007, 11:46 PM
Go for the SIG, it's better overall compared to the the XD, unless capacity is very important to you right now. I personally have a very low opinion of XD's since I'm a Glock fan, and I would recommend the model 21 also.

tango3065
March 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
SIGGGGGGGGG

GunNut
March 24, 2007, 12:44 AM
My preference would be an older W. German P220, as they seem to have been one of the best .45's produced.

The P220's with the aluminum frames are actually very easy to carry and shoot.

I've owned both in the past and if I were to ever own either again it would be the Sig P220.

Steve

rj112275
March 24, 2007, 12:47 AM
I was leaning Sig, although I'd much rather buy something Made in the USA. i'll check out the Ruger 345. I don't like Glock, because the grip. I did don't care for rails, but I guess that's the new "must have."

i did notice that Sig's webpage added the P220 Compact (looks like the old 245), in addition to the P220 Carry and regular P220.

Thanks for the input. Anything else I'm missing?

GunNut
March 24, 2007, 12:52 AM
By a used pre-rail P220 from a gun store, that way you're supporting American business and getting a quality gun.:D

Since you are looking for other options, how about a good old made in the USA 1911? Something like one of the S&W guns with the scadnium alloy receivers would make an awesome carry gun.

Steve

marksman13
March 24, 2007, 02:58 AM
I have an XD .45 Tac and love it. I can't say enough good things about it. That said, the above poster made a good point about the new S&W 1911s. A friend of mine bought one yesterday and it is a very light, very good looking pistol and is also one hell of a shooter. The S&W may be my next purchase.

BamBam-31
March 24, 2007, 03:10 AM
I have an XD45 Tactical and a 220ST. Of the two, the Sig is far more accurate. In fact, if I had to choose only one .45 in a non-1911 platform, it'd be the 220 without question.

Ala Dan
March 24, 2007, 08:03 AM
Another vote for the SIG P220~!:scrutiny: ;) :D

jlh26oo
March 28, 2007, 06:01 AM
Do they make any models without rails or have they gone the way of the DoDo bird?VA might be more sure than myself, but I'm 90% sure all new Sigs have rails. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan either. But I ordered a new P220 and the P220Rs are all that were available to order.

TRL

Yeah most of what you see now have rails, but good news for those of us who prefer the non railed version, they are a bit cheaper when you find them.

Bud's has p220 non railed, with night sights and three mags (7rds) for $699 I'm getting on if I can talk myself out of an Elite (just for the short reset trigger).

usp_fan
March 28, 2007, 09:58 AM
I had to make the same decision about this time last year. I ended up with a 220R. Someone on this forum had one and we were able to make a good trade. Since then, I've added a short trigger (to fit my stubby fingers) and replaced the houge grips with factory (thinner). Honestly, I'd have been happy with either, but some things have stuck out to me that make me think I got the right one. 1. The grip is shorter on the 220. For CCW this makes a difference. 2. Parts are easy to come by. Springfield may be changing their policy, but they have been reluctant to sell parts to the public. 3. Very Subjective--Pride of Ownership. The SIG is a beautifully engineered pistol. The XD is great to--in a throw it, hit it, shoot it insanely dirty--kinda way, but the SIG can do these things also and still come out looking very classy.

Ultimately you've got to get the one that fits your hand, your budget, and your mental picture of the perfect pistol.

--usp_fan

cookekdjr
March 28, 2007, 10:14 AM
I dunno. the p220 is one of my favorite handguns ever, as it feels tailored to my hand and is silly accurate even for a horrible pistol shot like me.
OTOH, if a carload of thugs came shooting I'd rather have the higher capacity of the XD, and it is a reliable weapon.
I guess if you're cool with the lower capacity, get the SIG.
-David

If you enjoyed reading about "XD45 or Sig220" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!