folding stock for ar-15

PDA

dwwhite
March 24, 2007, 07:04 PM
Been lurking for a while now, seems that I've finally got a question that I can't answer by searching old threads...

Does anyone know of any manufacturers making folding stocks for AR/CAR-15's?

I would be interested in either a new stock, or a mechanism to convert an existing collapsible stock to a folder.

Please let me know, esp. if anyone has experience (good, bad or indifferent) with said products.

Thanks all,

dwwhite

If you enjoyed reading about "folding stock for ar-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Quintin Likely
March 24, 2007, 07:06 PM
I dunno how you'd make an AR folder, I guess you could except that it wouldn't be operable when the stock is folded since there's no buffer/spring in place.

dwwhite
March 24, 2007, 07:19 PM
That hadn't occurred to me, but it makes perfect sense,

However, I don't think I'd ever have an occasion to fire with the stock in the folded position,

The idea was a more compact size for storage etc.

Quintin Likely
March 24, 2007, 07:26 PM
Hm, well, if you're wanting a compact package for storage, I guess some kinda folder would work just for that purpose, but then there'd have to be some method to cover the rear of the bolt carrier to prevent debris and stuff from getting into the action while the stock is folded. You'd also need a positive locking method to keep the stock from folding back while firing/carrying in a ready to fire position. As far as I know, no one offers a folding stock for an AR15 though.

10-Ring
March 24, 2007, 07:34 PM
I believe ACE makes an AR folding stock for use in conjunction w/ the new gas pistol style uppers

Glockfan.45
March 24, 2007, 07:39 PM
I dunno how you'd make an AR folder, I guess you could except that it wouldn't be operable when the stock is folded since there's no buffer/spring in place.

10--Ring beat me to it. I have seen folders for AR style rifles with the piston uppers. Can't remember who makes them though.

PAC 762
March 24, 2007, 07:44 PM
I believe there used to be a folding stock rifle version of these: http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/oly_oa-98.jpg

PAC 762
March 24, 2007, 07:49 PM
Here you go: http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/oa93.htm

Quintin Likely
March 24, 2007, 07:58 PM
Hadn't thought about the piston operated guns.

dwwhite
March 24, 2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the quick replies,

But, looks like this proect may not be meant to be,

I had intended to install this stock on a Stag Arms 15-L / 2L

A visit to the ACE website indicates that their folding stock kits will not work on guns with conventional recoil systems, however, some look like they are using a standard M4 adjustable stock with a "hinge" for the lack of a better term.

Oh well, I guess this means I can spend the money on ammo instead :)

rbernie
March 24, 2007, 08:15 PM
Oly makes one : http://www.olyarms.com/?rootView=browse&view=dtl&ids=OA-93-CAR

They use a non-standard recoil spring assembly flanking the bolt carrier assembly in place of the Stoner-design buffer tube and spring. I've been kicking around the idea of trying it, but I've heard too many concerns in the past with Oly QC to make the leap just yet.

http://www.olyarms.com/images/products/oa-93-car-full.jpg

DoubleTapDrew
March 24, 2007, 08:17 PM
If you want it compact you could put a CAR stock on it and SBR it.

DMK
March 24, 2007, 09:25 PM
How exactly does replacing the gas tube with a piston allow you to replace the buffer tube, buffer and spring?

:confused:

The Ace folding stocks are for setups like the Rube Goldberg Olympic Arms design above or for 22LR kits like the Ciener (which has it's own recoil spring inside the receiver).

I don't see why someone couldn't come up with a design like the PARA FAL though, although it would require a custom upper receiver and bolt carrier. DSA has a really slick setup that they use in their custom railed top cover.

pbhome71
March 24, 2007, 10:07 PM
DMK,

I believe that the tube on the top of the Oly is a combination of gas piston, and buffer spring - similar to the system used by Keltec SU-16.

-Pat

If you enjoyed reading about "folding stock for ar-15" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!