Got to try a S&W 642LS the other day

PDA

priv8ter
June 11, 2003, 05:52 PM
When my wife and I went to try our new Firestorms the other day, there were several friendly folks at the range, and it turned into a pleasent opportunity to try each others guns. This one gentleman and I swapped...he got to try my 2" SP-101 with magnum loads, and my wife and I tried out his 642 Lady Smith.

First of all...I was gratified to see another macho-type guy using a Lady Smith. I kind of like the look of the 60LS, but was afraid folks would question my masculinity.

Using that 642 made me realize what a tank my SP-101 really is. At 14.5 ounces, it's over half a pound lighter than the Ruger. I didn't try any +P loads in it, but in my Ruger, there is very little difference in felt recoil between standard .38's and +P's. Noise difference yes, but no recoil difference.

The 642 was snappy, but not painfull. It might just have been I was not used to the wood grips. That trigger...wow...it was much smoother than the trigger on my Ruger. My wife is usually having a hard time with trigger on my Ruger after 5 or 6 rounds. The Smith she was able to do 10 rounds without a problem.

All in all, I liked the Smith. But...I think I liked my Ruger better. I own guns for two reasons: Self-Defense, and I just plain like to shoot them. I can see the 642 being 100% easier to carry than the SP-101, but I like the Ruger's flexbility of ammo, and the way it fit's my hand better.

The experience has left me jonesing for a lighter snubby though. That Ultra-Light Taurus .32 H&R Magnum is looking better every day.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to try a S&W 642LS the other day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sw442642
June 12, 2003, 01:50 PM
642s are for your pocket. That's were they shine.

cslinger
June 12, 2003, 01:52 PM
If anybody makes fun of you having a Lady Smith just do what I do.......................hit them with your purse.

Signed
Another Proud Male Owner of a Model 60LS
Chris

I didn't know that they made a 642LS.....mmmm maybe it's time to invite another lady into the mix so to speak.

:D

Steve Smith
June 12, 2003, 02:18 PM
Last time I was at home on vacation I carried my mom's 60LS with a wad of rubber bands 'round the grip for a make-do holster. I think I fell in love with it.

Serpico
June 12, 2003, 07:12 PM
What makes them different than a regular 642 other than smooth wood grips?

chaim
June 12, 2003, 08:27 PM
What makes them different than a regular 642 other than smooth wood grips? Don't know about the 642 specifically but the other Ladysmiths have lighter springs for a lighter and smoother trigger and action. The stainless guns have a beadblasted matte finish (something I personlly perfer).

cslinger
June 13, 2003, 09:08 AM
Ditto what Chaim said. I really like my M60LS.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got to try a S&W 642LS the other day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!