Springfield 1911 (9mm) guide rod question...

PDA

2bigfeet
March 30, 2007, 03:14 PM
I have a (9mm) SA 1911 model PI9134LP with the screw out guide rod. Is there a non-screw replacement rod/spring(?) so I don't need a wrench to break down the gun, and if so could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 (9mm) guide rod question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
farscott
March 30, 2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, there are one-piece (Full-Length Guide Rod) FLGRs that replace your two-piece guide rod. Several makers offer them, including STI, Baer, Brown, Wilson, and Kimber. Brownells offers many of them.

I actually prefer the two-piece FLGR over the one-piece as it makes turning the bushing out of battery easier for me. This allows me to not damage a tight barrel-to-bushing fit. Once I learned to keep the threads clean and dry I never had an issue with the two-piece unscrewing during a range session. If you would like and yours is for a five-inch pistol, I would be more than happy to trade a one-piece FLGR from a 9x19 Kimber Stainless Target II for your two-piece FLGR.

If you want to eliminate the FLGR, you can also buy a GI spring plug and recoil spring guide to replace the reverse plug and FLGR.

2bigfeet
March 30, 2007, 06:34 PM
Hi Scott,

Being new to 1911's I think I know about half of what your talking about. But if I'm hearing you, I'm better off staying with what I have rather than going for convenience...?

farscott
March 30, 2007, 08:15 PM
Guide rods are a matter of preference; there is no right or wrong.

A few thoughts:

1) Many people only use the GI spring plug and guide in a carry gun. That way the gun can be cycled by shoving the slide against something. Others dislike the additional effort it takes to field strip and reassemble the gun with a FLGR in place. My personal carry guns, all 1911s, do not use FLGRs.

2) FLGRs are a very contentious subject in the 1911 world. Some people swear by them, and others swear at them. A thread mentioning FLGRs usually gets lots of discussion. Personally, I have noticed no issues caused or fixed by them. I have noted that some guns seem to cycle more smoothly with them in place. I have also noted that oil on the threads of a two-piece FLGR will cause the rod to unscrew in a range session.

3) Have fun with your 1911.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield 1911 (9mm) guide rod question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!