WILSON COMBAT MAGS

PDA

target1911
March 30, 2007, 08:08 PM
Is this normal? I used a wilson mag in my Kimber 1911 and the slide didnt lock after last shot. My friend told me it was because of the plastic fallower. Any imput?

If you enjoyed reading about "WILSON COMBAT MAGS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deltacharlie
March 30, 2007, 08:28 PM
i'll be interested to see replies to this...

i use only wilson combat mags in my 1911 (SA Champion), and i've never encountered that problem.

it's possible it is defective.
how well do other mags work? stock mags?

distra
March 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
I use Chip McCormick or ACT-MAG's in my 1911's. Wilson mags are ok, but I find their springs to be a bit weak and not as reliable in my pistols as the others. The plastic follower should still lock the slide back. The couple wilson mags I have do lock the slide after the last round. YMMV.

target1911
March 30, 2007, 08:53 PM
That was the only Wilson I have used and it did it every time. I havn't had probs with any other mag...not even the cheap $10 Colt mags i got at a gun show.

10-Ring
March 30, 2007, 08:59 PM
My Wilson mags have been 100% perfect since round 1 - plastic follower & all ;) So, this comment is a bit surprising.

Dobe
March 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
They work in my Kimbers.

waumo
March 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
I only own one, but it works perfectly in my Kimber Gold Match.

270Win
March 30, 2007, 09:41 PM
I have one that came with my Wilson/Norinco. It's worked flawlessly since day one.

VARifleman
March 30, 2007, 09:45 PM
How is the fit of the slide stop, which wilson mag are you using, and what is the condition of the follower that moves the slide stop into place?

But no, your friend is wrong, while plastic can be subject to more problems in that area, there are a lot of wilson mags that run fantastically.

target1911
March 30, 2007, 10:29 PM
8 rnd SS wilson mag. stock slide stop. I couldnt tell if anything was wrong with mag....looked good to me...New gun...bout 400 rnds so far

Lone_Gunman
March 30, 2007, 11:13 PM
Wilson plastic followers will wear out with use and will not hold the slide back after a while. This has happened with several of mine.

In general, they work flawlessly until this happens though.

Rob96
March 31, 2007, 04:16 AM
I have heard several times before, and experienced it with a prior 1911.

CWL
March 31, 2007, 05:55 AM
How old is the mag? How many rounds have you run through it?

In addition to inspection of the plastic follower for wear, also look at the feed lips to see if they've cracked. (look a the back corner of the feed lips where it is notched at right angle to follower).

Ala Dan
March 31, 2007, 07:26 AM
I use Wilson mags in all of my 1911's, and haven't had any problems at all~! ;)

XavierBreath
March 31, 2007, 09:05 AM
The only way to know for certain is to insert the empty magazine, pull the slide back to slide lock, and examine the engagement between the follower and slide lock. It might be the follower, the mag spring, the slide stop, the notch in your slide, an extended ejector hitting the magazine, or even the ammunition used.

This is a problem of a specific magazine in a specific pistol.

The only way to know for certain is to examine the problem with that magazine in that pistol. All else is speculation.

FWIW, my Wilson magazines work fine in my pistols.

1man
March 31, 2007, 09:23 AM
Change the spring in the mag with a Wolff 10% extra power spring.
How long have you used that mag(how many rounds fired through it)?
Do you clean you mags?

I have the same problem with the my mag(Wilson) in my Colt(I just swapped it out with my other Wilson mags, waiting till 2 more go down before I order the Wolff 3-pack extra power springs).

I don't use any other mags but Wilson(I know McCormick make good mags, but I'll stick with Wilson)!!!!!!!!

Primersinmyshoe
March 31, 2007, 09:54 AM
Not all 1911's need a stronger mag spring or sturdier follower to lock back on the last round, but some do. Several of my 1911's need the extra bit of power to lock back. I have even put in Wilson Bulletproof slide stops to cure lock back problems. IMHO the springs that come stock in Wilson mags wear out quickly, as I shoot a lot. I replace the spring/follower with the kit sold by Tripp Research. The Tripp springs is a whole lot stronger than the Wilson, and the Tripp follower has a metal piece that helps keep it's shape in order to better push up on the slide stop.

George Hill
March 31, 2007, 11:25 AM
Wilson Mags are top notch, but can wear. I also like the Kimber Pro mags.

TexasRifleman
March 31, 2007, 11:28 AM
I use McCormick and Wilson both.

I have had this problem with both magazine makers. The problems were in well used (IPSC) magazines and were fixed with a spring replacement.

target1911
March 31, 2007, 08:54 PM
The Wilson mag belongs to a friend that has shot comp. for some time. It may just be in need of a new spring or follower. I want to get some quality mags for my Kimber but after the prob with that one mag i wanted to ask questions first. Thank you ALL for your help.

Dobe
April 1, 2007, 08:25 AM
Anything will wear out, even a Wilson magizine.

doubleg
April 1, 2007, 08:27 AM
I use kimber all steel 8-rounders and haven't had a problem yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "WILSON COMBAT MAGS" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!