S&W 4566

PDA

Thaddeus Jones
March 31, 2007, 03:02 PM
I'm trying to learn more about this semi auto. Would you 4566 owners, please let me know the good and bad on these pistols. I want to find a TDA 45. I have no interest in 1911's so please don't recommend those, thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 4566" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunNut
March 31, 2007, 04:04 PM
www.smith-wessonforum.com

From my experience the S&W semi-auto 3rd Generation handguns are dependable and accurate enough for self defense. Some of them tend to get a little heavy.

Buy one if the price is right, i'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Steve

Coronach
March 31, 2007, 10:35 PM
I carried a 4506, a close cousin to the 4566, for years (wow, that makes me sound like a grizzled veteran!). It is a good gun. Do a search for "4506" under my username and you'll read what I think.

The Cliff's Notes:

It is a reliable, durable weapon. It is honkin' big, generally non-ergonomic, and heavy. It points like training a naval gun on a dreadnought. The trigger, as issued, is sub-optimal. IIRC, the 4566 is a shortened 4506, so balance and pointability will change (hopefully for the better), but everything else (including the inconvenient placement of controls) should be the same.

However, the trigger can be fixed up, and ergonomics are 100% subjective. If you like the way the gun feels, buy it. It's certainly not going to jam or break on you...and if it does, you can use it as a bludgeon.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 4566" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!