.308 Win / 7.62x51 Ammo questions

PDA

Andy Stedman
June 12, 2003, 02:55 PM
I bought a C91 (G3, HK-91) as my SHTF gun. I plan on buying close to 1000 rds, preferably in battle packs. I see a big variety of prices on places like auctionarms and gunbroker, for surplus NATO stuff. I got some Spanish 1980 from my local dealer where I bought the C91, and it was pretty nice. I see Indian and Chinese pretty commonly online, anyone know of countries to avoid as "crap"?
Also, I think it may be prudent for me to have a small supply (under 100 rds) of "AP" ammunition. I see a lot of this in 7.62x39, but not in 7.62x51. Is steel-core/AP available and legal in this caliber, or should I forget about it?

Thanks,

Andy

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Win / 7.62x51 Ammo questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ian
June 12, 2003, 03:01 PM
I would look for Portuguese battlepacks and avoid the Indian stuff. Also avoid Malasian (if you run across any) - it's machinegun ammo and not very accurate.

As for AP, it is legal to own and to buy from a non-FFL, but illegal to "maunfacture." I have so far been unable to find out if "manufacture" means making the AP bullets or reloading existing bullets into .308 cartridges. FWIW, I have never seen any AP .308 around. Lots of WWII surplus .30-06 and a bit of .303 British, but no .308. YMMV.

Redlg155
June 12, 2003, 06:41 PM
I second the vote for some Port Surplus. Very good and reliable stuff. Just make sure they allow it at your range. Port Surplus is brass cased but steel jacketed ammo.

I never knew this until the subject was brought up a while back and I checked my ammo with a magnet. Sure enough, it sticks to the bullet.

Good Shooting
Red

Handy
June 12, 2003, 06:50 PM
Steel jacketed! Crap, I'm not shooting that through a good barrel!

Nightcrawler
June 12, 2003, 07:20 PM
Steel jacketed! Crap, I'm not shooting that through a good barrel!

It might not be good for a match grade .308 rifle, like a commerical bolt gun or a tuned AR-10.

It's NATO spec, though. It won't hurt a FAL, and I'd be suprised if it'd hurt a G3 clone or an M14 clone.

The Portugese is good stuff, as is the South African.

AVOID CAVIM. It's not NATO or military surplus, it's crappy Venezuelan commercial stuff, really bad, by all accounts.

clarkg
June 12, 2003, 09:00 PM
I have used the Portuguese in the battle packs and the Spanish
milsurp in my FR8 without any real problems.The Port is more consistently accurate,but the Spanish isn't bad.Occasionally the Spanish will be a little hard to extract,but only when the chamber is dirty.

J-Man
June 12, 2003, 09:18 PM
Ditto on the Port ammo. Clean, good looking stuff and I love those heavy plastic battle packs. I personally only use it for plinking however as it's FMJ, non-reloadable, dates from the 70's and 80's, and is really low velocity (under 2200 fps I believe). Not the best for SHTF ammo.
As for AP the 30-06 heads are exempt. Hard to find .308 AP heads anyway. Besides, I believe that all the restrictions are on manufacturing the bullet only- not completed rounds. That's why they talk about the construction of the bullet. Nothing ever comes up about brass....

Andy Stedman
June 13, 2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The guy at the gun shop where I bought the rifle is selling the Spanish 1980 stuff for $3.65/20. I will probably go and buy him out (he has most of a case left.) Since this isn't sealed up, it will be my practice ammo.

I'm not interested in reloadability, as I'm not set up for it, and the rifle does quite a number on the brass anyhow as it ejects it. Big dent on every one, plus the marks from the fluting.

If I find some battle packs, how long should they keep if I don't open them, and the plastic looks good?

On AP, are you guys saying it should be possible for me to buy some 30-06 AP's and load the bullets into .308 brass? I have a buddy with reloading equipment, so I may try to make 20-40 rds if this seems like an option.

Thanks again,

Andy

Dizos
June 13, 2003, 12:17 PM
AIM surplus has 980 rounds of South African for $147 delivered. Which is $3 per 20. South African shoots great. I have ordered several cases of Port from AIM with no problems.

-- Jeff

Midnight
June 13, 2003, 12:52 PM
A guy on the FAL Files had some AP 7.62x51 a while back. It was $1.50/round, and he would only sell it in 20 round+ lots.

I like the South African surplus, its very reliable and very accurate. I've also heard nothing but good things about Port.

Andy Stedman
June 13, 2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the tip, Dizos. Just ordered the 980 rds. of S. African.

Andy

Edward429451
June 13, 2003, 01:49 PM
We went through the AP ammo 'rules' awhile back in a thread and someone posted a link to the rules. Dont have the link but the gist of it was;

Its ok to have loaded or to reload AP ammo, and to use it and possess it. What you cannot do is manufacture the actual bullets yourself. You can load them into cartridges, but not make the slugs.

You can buy 30 cal AP's which have been pulled from 30/06 black tips for 12 bucks per 100, or 500 for 55 bucks from Hi-Tech ammo.

http://www.hi-techammo.com/

Many other goodies there also.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 Win / 7.62x51 Ammo questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!