Buying 22 auto soon: Ruger or Buckmark? Recommendations?

PDA

duckjihad
April 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
Also, how hard is it to tear down/clean these?

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying 22 auto soon: Ruger or Buckmark? Recommendations?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wally
April 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
Both are great, We've four Rugers and one Buckmark, the Buckmark is significantly more reliable with all the cheap ammo than are any of the Rugers, could be our Buckmark is atypical, but our Neos is most reliable of all.

As to takedown, both are more trouble than they should be. The Ruger is like a Chinese puzzle and until you've learned the trick no fun at all. OTOH the Buckmark is straight forward but needing two different sized hex head wrenches to do so is ridiculous. Also there are some small springs and parts under the right side grip panel that are easily lost if you remove the grip. -- if the grip screws shoot loose, the trigger bar can come free rendering the gun unshootable, resist the urge to take it apart in the field unless you really know what you are doing so you aren't surprised when these small parts fall out.

I'd say buy whichever you find the best deal on in the configuration you like. More options with the Ruger and spare mags for the Ruger are generally a bit cheaper than for the Buckmark, but my wife is more accurate with Buckmark than with any of the Rugers, but no difference for me.

Which ever you choose, get the "Ultimate Clip Loader" www.mcfadden.com and you'll have a boatload of fun. This tool works with Ruger or Buckmark mags but not the Neos mags and is the only reason the Neos isn't our most frequently shot .22 pistol.

--wally.

duckjihad
April 2, 2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks Wally. How hard is it to tear down the Neos?

wally
April 2, 2007, 12:19 PM
Neos is the easiest of all. Sometimes the "wheel nut" that holds the upper to the lower is really tight out of the box, but once its been loosened the first time and reassembled with reasonable torque its a piece of cake. Just be aware the striker is captive under spring pressure when the gun is disassembled so you need to be careful when you remove it. The wheel nut has a detent to keep it from shoot loose that has to be pressed before you can turn it, but easier to do than describe how. The Neos also wins if you want to mount a Red Dot optic or scope since it comes with a full length rail leaving lots of mounting options to get the balance right (or best). No cool mag loader tools I'm aware of for it, but CDNN has had spare U22 Neos mags for $10 each and still had some last time I looked.

Since the Neos is open on both sides of the slide (Buckmark is too), I find I need to take it down less frequently than the Rugers because more crud blows out rather than accumulate, and its easy to reach in with Q-tips and solvent to remove the crud from the key areas.

My biggest complaint with the Neos is the safety rotates the "wrong" way, Ruger and Buckmark are correct :) but only the Neos has ambi safety

We really like them all, but none are "perfect" although all shoot very accurately. The Ruger and Buckmark have traditional gun looks, the Neos looks like they envisioned a secondary market as a base gun for Sci-Fi movie props :)

--wally.

Geno
April 2, 2007, 01:19 PM
I'll defend the Ruger. Yes, it is a challenge in the first take-down/reassembly. Thereafter, it's not bad. I can't say enough good about Rugers, but I do prefer the Mark II, not the Mark III. My standard Mark II was completely reliable with all ammunition. My Slab-side target Mark II was so tight-chambered that I had to clean quite frquently, yet is was no more accurate than my standard Mark II. I know, that should not be. The target version had a horrid trigger. Which ever you get, enjoy! The .22LR is the best caliber in existence!

Edit to add: Note that there are some extreme quality upper receivers/barrels that can be added to your Ruger as after-market options. I don't recall the company name. They come in multiple colors.

minutemen1776
April 2, 2007, 04:28 PM
I've had two Rugers (Mk. II and 22/45) and one Browning (stainless Camper). All three shot reliably and accurately, but I like the Browning best and, therefore, still have it in the gun safe. Just get the one that strikes your fancy and best fits your hand.

hessy
April 2, 2007, 04:54 PM
Buckmark-it feels great, accurate, reliable and easy to clean. Ruger lacks in "easy to clean" department, gets very dirty and is then unreliable. It is my experience, which may vary.

jonnyc
April 2, 2007, 05:05 PM
+1 on the Buckmark.
You rarely have to disassemble either for normal cleaning. I clean mu Buckmark after each session with a Q-tip and a rag, just holding the action open. Every 2000-3000 rounds I spray-clean the insides with a PLASTIC SAFE spray gun cleaner. Easy as pie.

mrcpu
April 2, 2007, 05:36 PM
My W's Buckmark URX has been great. You can tell when it's getting dirty, the slide closes slower. Few spritzes and back in action.

bestseller92
April 2, 2007, 09:12 PM
Rugers are a pain the first couple times, but then it's not so bad.

I heartily recommend the Ruger.

FXWG
April 2, 2007, 10:13 PM
What about the S&W 22A?
Just wondering.

gandog56
April 2, 2007, 10:29 PM
I found Rugers to be a permanent pain in the patootie to reassemble. Traded mine in for a Buckmark, and never regretted it.

PaladinX13
April 2, 2007, 10:41 PM
I lean towards a new Buckmark or an old/used MK.

nitestocker
April 2, 2007, 10:43 PM
i have a colt targetsman and it is the best 22 ive ever shot i also like the browing ive shot thoes befor

MustangHowie
April 3, 2007, 09:25 AM
The first gun I ever bought was a Ruger MKII. I will never part with it. Bought it used and I have put so many rounds through it that the extactor broke. Easy fix and back to one of my most used guns. I recomend it to all my friends. Accurate and reliable.

I also have the Beretta Neos and the Sig Mosquito and although I do like them I don't shoot them near as much.

I have never tried the Colt or the Browning but with the price of ammo I am starting to collect more 22s.

Ohioan
April 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
MKII Target with 6 7/8in tapered barrel. Mine is extremely reliable and accurate even with the cheap remmington bulk pack stuff that looks like the bullet is painted gold. I love the gun.

My first pistol was a buckmark sillouhette. Itwasn't what i was looking for at the time. So I sold it and got a ruger. It was accurate also, but it was just sooo big and heavy.

hounddog
April 3, 2007, 09:47 PM
I have had the Buckmark, MkI,Mk2, 22/45, s+w 22. Liked them all. The browning and rugers are difficult to reassemble at first. The rugers are heavier, followed by the buckmark, smith was pretty light. My rugers were not very ammo sensitive, not the smith. My buckmark is very ammo sensitive. All were very accurate. With the Rugers, there do tend to be more aftermarket "stuff" out there. The "colored uppers" referred to earlier in this thread are made by pac lite. All of them are fun, just depends on your personal preference.

plexreticle
April 3, 2007, 09:49 PM
I really like the Rugers and they are not too hard to take down once you know the trick.

gandog56
April 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
The "colored uppers" referred to earlier in this thread are made by pac lite. All of them are fun, just depends on your personal preference.

They also make barrels for Brownings called Trail-Lites. The company is called Tactical Solutions by the way. My Buck Mark sports a 10" fluted one. That gun is like a little mini rifle, it's so accurate. Added a holo sight, and one ragged hole targets are the results.

Ethereal
April 4, 2007, 12:58 AM
Sig-Sauer's Trailside is very shooter friendly, not at all picky with ammo. If you're a CZ guy then the Kadet is right up your alley. I have to agree about the Mosquito though, the one I had was a huge headache. How about .22 conversion upper for a service model?

Headless
April 4, 2007, 01:07 AM
I'd go with the Buckmark. The trigger on it is simply excellent for a factory gun. It doesn't get dirty and really, to get it 'clean enough' to function very reliably doesn't require 2 hex wrenches, just one...take off the top site rail, run a bore snake through the barrel and clean everything i can reach, then re-assemble the entire slide assembly after cleaning it all up. If you want to go all out and take off the barrel entirely it does require a second size hex wrench...but i haven't done that yet and i've put ~4000 rounds through mine now. It digests cheap ammo quite well, though the winchester bulk stuff has noticeably more 'random duds rounds' than federal... i found the same thing to be true with my s&w 22a though so i suspect the ammunition quality vs. the guns. The buckmark trigger and grip feels worlds better than the S&W 22a for my hand and i had 10 times the problems feeding ammo in the 22a - so i sold it ;)

I'd also add to previous recommendations on the ultimate clip loader. You will literally not need more than one mag if you buy that thing. It's pointless to have even 3. I've got two, and my friend can load mags full faster than i can rapid-fire empty them downrange. We fired as quickly as we could swap mags and i could empty them downrange for 300 rounds in a row the other day -- in less than 10 minutes. Just for the hell of it. Coke cans beware.

Ghost Tracker
April 4, 2007, 03:48 PM
I've had several of both & enjoyed them all very much. If FORCED to choose between the two...I would go Buckmark. The grip angle is less radical, the controls are generally smoother to operate & easier to use, I like the weight & balance just a bit better.

Honestly...the accuracy & reliability are practically the same. The Buckmark is usually only a few dollars higher. Brownings traditionally hold their value a little better than Rugers (no flame intended).

Here's an idea. Put them both on the gunshop counter in front of you. Grip a pistol & pick an aiming point across the room. Close your eyes and aim the pistol at the chosen point, then open your eyes & note how close you came to your target. Do the same process with the other model. Buy the one that aims most "naturally" for you. Either way you decide, you can't go wrong. Enjoy!

bdutton
April 4, 2007, 05:17 PM
If you own a 1911 you should consider getting a .22 conversion.

http://www.22lrconversions.com/

or

http://www.marvelprod.com/beauty.htm (I have one of these).

Or this:

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_22_conversion.asp

aerod1
April 4, 2007, 05:24 PM
My vote is for the 100% reliable Ruger. Mine has been perfect in every way.

Nil
April 4, 2007, 05:36 PM
I have a Ruger MkIII Target with a 5.5" bull barrel and the thing is completely reliable. I had a few stovepipes within the first ~200 rounds but even since then (maybe another 500 through it), I've had no problems at all with various types of ammo through it.

Hawk
April 4, 2007, 06:34 PM
...the Neos looks like they envisioned a secondary market as a base gun for Sci-Fi movie props

Speaking of movie props, anybody got any input on this?

http://www.olyarms.com/images/products/ww-full.jpg

Vern Humphrey
April 4, 2007, 06:54 PM
I like Rugers, but a while back I picked up a Colt Woodsman made in 1938. That gun and my Colt Officers Model Targer revolver (made in the same year) have pretty much retired my Ruger MK II to the safe these days.

What I like about the Woodsman is you don't have to strip it -- everything is open.

If you enjoyed reading about "Buying 22 auto soon: Ruger or Buckmark? Recommendations?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!