Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure?

PDA

DWS1117
June 12, 2003, 05:07 PM
What is the difference between this and the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure? Other than about $10 at Natchez.

http://www.natchezss.com/ecat/125f.html

Is the adjustable charge bar worth the extra cost?

I will be ordering the Lee 4 hole turret soon and I can't decide on the measure. I am sure either will be fine.

I found some helpful information on a previous thread but it wasn't quite enough.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19065&highlight=Lee+Turret+press

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bogie
June 12, 2003, 06:15 PM
Spend the extra $$ - worth it for the charge bar.

bedlamite
June 12, 2003, 09:26 PM
I've got the adjustable charge bar, and it won't throw consistent charges, plus or minus up to 1/2 grain variation is common. This is not good when that's 10% or more of the charge weight. The Pro Auto Disk is easier to change disks, it has a shut off on the hopper, and thumbscrews to hold it down. The standard Auto Disk is a PITA to change the charge disk. The Auto index on the turret is worth getting too.

Nero Steptoe
June 12, 2003, 11:07 PM
Using ball powders, I got really accurate results with the adjustable charge bar. It's the Dillon system in miniature an in plastic.

Mike Irwin
June 13, 2003, 02:12 AM
I was not at all happy with the adjustable charge bar.

I mentioned it here some months ago, and someone said that for some reason, with ball powders, it won't throw a consistent charge below about 5 grains.

I was loading about 19 grains of 296 into .357 mag rounds I was prepping, and decided to use the adjustable. Very repeatable weight throws.

MoNsTeR
June 13, 2003, 12:04 PM
The adjustable charge bar sucks.

If you want one of the disk measures, get the Pro. The main difference is that you can twist the hopper to shut off the powder flow, empty the last bit by throwing a few charges, then loosen two thumbscrews and remove the hopper. Makes changing powders or disk cavities very quick.

oldfart
June 13, 2003, 01:05 PM
I use one of their turret presses too. I've rigged a way to mount a Perfect Powder Measure on the turret. It's pretty easy when you're adapting it to one of their 'Powder Through Expander' dies for handgun ammo but a bit more of a challenge when dealing with rifle cases. I still have to dump the powder by hand, but I know it's the right amount of powder when I do. After the usual break-in period, the Perfect lives up to its name.

bogie
June 13, 2003, 03:25 PM
Well, I haven't had any problems with the adjustable charge bar. I sorta like it. And I've used it with Unique, Bullseye, AA5 (several different lots) and W296.

E357
June 13, 2003, 03:53 PM
I think I have or have had all the Lee stuff. The adjustable charge works great with some powders and not so great with others - usually the smaller the grain size the better and the larger the weight thrown the better. I have enough "disks" that once I find the exact charge I want - if a normal disk dosen't have the correct hole - I "open-up" a smaller hole to my requirements.

Get the "Pro Auto Disk" and use the "Lee powder thru expanding die", the Perfect powder measure is Ok if your still loading one case at a time. I use it for rifle stuff.

In any event Please Buy a Scale!!!!

Elliot

VOD
June 17, 2003, 07:20 PM
The only problem I've ever had with the charge bar is trying to get consistent, light loads (.38 Special wadcutters). Other than that, it's worked fine for me. BTW, my usual powders are 231, Bullseye, and several of the VihtaVuori powders.

Sisco
June 17, 2003, 08:21 PM
I use the charge bar, as mentioned before light loads are inconistant but anything 5 grains or more works really well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!