.308 and Hornady New Dimension Dies

PDA

Nickotym
April 2, 2007, 01:44 PM
My brother recently got a set of Hornady New Dimension Dies in .308. Compared to the Lee Dies I use for .270 and the RCBS dies I have used in the past for .222 the Hornady Dies are very difficult to use. When using once fired cases, I have to pull the handle down and stop 2-3 times before it sizes the whole case. Is that normal for these dies or do I need to have them sent in to Hornady to be checked? Even on never before fired cases, it sometimes took 2-3 pulls of the handle to size well. They seem to stretch the case a lot as well.

Let me know if you have questions or need more info to help solve this.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 and Hornady New Dimension Dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nickotym
April 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
Come on, anybody had any experience with the Hornady New Dimension Dies?

Ifishsum
April 2, 2007, 04:26 PM
I haven't had this problem with my New Dimensions die sets. Maybe you got a bad one or it's mislabeled. Have you measured a resized case and compared it with SAAMI spec for .308?

Call them, I'm sure they'll take care of you. I had a lot of trouble with my .204 set pulling the decapping pin out of the die on the upstroke. I couldn't get it tight enough, even lubing the inside of the neck it would pull out often. They were nice about it and sent me a replacement pin, which works better. I mostly use a neck sizer now though.

I really like the New dimension bullet seating die.

Walkalong
April 2, 2007, 04:31 PM
Hornady makes good dies. If there is a problem they will take care of it. Call them.:)

MarshallDodge
April 2, 2007, 04:39 PM
I have used Dimension dies in 30-06, 6mm, and 30-30 without any problems using them with Midway spray lube.

The ammo I loaded on the 30-06 dies is very accurate... 1/2 MOA out of an old 03-A3 sporter.

Nickotym
April 2, 2007, 06:21 PM
I will have to try some spray lube before I send it back. We checked the specs and all were within normal. Maybe I will have to double check a sized case again to be sure.

Thanks guys.

Nick

ClarkEMyers
April 2, 2007, 06:53 PM
Easy enough to gage the cases before and after and see how much reduction is taking place - better yet gage a new cartridge, fire it and gage it again then resize it.

I use Imperial wax for tough jobs on bottleneck cases, spray lube for pistol cases.

Lots of ways to play around including a Cerrosafe casting of the resizing die but trying other dies with the same cases may be easiest quick check.

Then too I'd be curious what the press is as well as whether the shoulder is being shoved back -some presses have more leverage than others.

In sum if starting with machine gun fired cases in light duty press I'd figure it's not the dies - if starting with brass fired once in a 40X and resizing with Imperial wax and a Rockchucker I'd be very suspicious of the dies. In any event I would not look first to the dies and I trust Hornady's name on the dies to be right or make it right.

I'd also be very nervous about sticking a case with all this playing around - I might well leave out the decapping/expander rod for some tests.

Nickotym
April 3, 2007, 02:07 AM
I think some of the once fired did come from a machine gun, but we had just as much trouble with the 6 or 8 we fired from his lever action .308.(These were unfired Winchester brass prior to the testing we did.) These cartridges were loaded with 4 different amounts of powder and all were difficult to resize. I am using an old Hornady press similar to the rockchucker style, but can't remember the name.

I have been using the Hornady paste lube on every 2 or 3 cases.
The decapper did catch on a couple of the cases fired from his own rifle. Will have to do some measuring of before and afters tomorrow evening and post that info here.

Thanks for all the help.

joneb
April 3, 2007, 02:44 AM
I have been using the Hornady paste lube on every 2 or 3 cases.

I would lube every case, I have tried to skimp on the lube :banghead: , but sooner or later you are gonna stick one.

Nickotym
April 3, 2007, 11:09 AM
I'm not trying to skimp on lube, just have experienced putting too much lube in and that is not fun either. I don't like bent cases.

Nickotym
April 3, 2007, 12:34 PM
I was home for a few minutes and a buddy who does a lot of reloading popped by. We got it figured out I think.

Jibjab was spot on. I was afraid of lubing too much and getting bent cases, but my buddy set me straight there and said not to lube the neck and shoulder. I lubed the case walls up and after that they went through like a knife through butter.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. That'll teach me to not be a cheapskate.

If you enjoyed reading about ".308 and Hornady New Dimension Dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!