where to get knurling done?

PDA

trickyasafox
April 3, 2007, 03:17 PM
okay if i wanted to get the frontstrap on one of my pistols knurled, who would you guys recommend? whats a fair price to pay?

also, this might sound silly, but i like to throw darts too, do you think the same person could cut new knurling on my darts as well?

its a stretch, but i don't know where to look for either.

If you enjoyed reading about "where to get knurling done?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
April 3, 2007, 03:44 PM
Front straps tend to get checkered, usually by hand, rather than knurled. Knurling is done on a lathe with a special tool. It's actually pressed in as opposed to being cut. Haven't a clue who does checkering.
Re-knurling your darts wouldn't be easy. Matching the existing knurls with the right sized tool would be touchy. You could clean it up with jeweller's files though.

ilcylic
April 3, 2007, 06:07 PM
Knurling the darts would be possible though. Worst case scenario: the darts could be turned on a lathe to cut the old knurling off, then have new knurling applied. Don't know what that'd do to the balance though. Also, probably cheaper just to buy new darts.

CWL
April 4, 2007, 12:06 AM
Having your frontstrap checkered by a good gunsmith will cost at least $200 + shipping costs.

Depending on the brand of gun you have you can also send it back to the manufacturer's "Custom Shop" to have this done but costs will still be the same.

Believe me, you want someone who is really good to do this for you because there is no way to correct any mistakes.

RCouch
April 4, 2007, 01:41 AM
Could you put your darts in a vise and carefully use a Dremel Moto tool on them?

rockstar.esq
April 4, 2007, 01:55 AM
Brownells sells both knurling tools and checkering tools. Steel parts are typically checkered with a file when done by hand. Brownells also sells a jig to keep the checkering file aligned properly.

If you enjoyed reading about "where to get knurling done?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!