A good carry .45

PDA

tackleberry45
April 3, 2007, 03:18 PM
I would like some feedback on a good carry .45. I am not concerned about round count as much as I am concealability/ dimensions/ weight. I played with a Glock 30 but it was a little bulky. I also tried the Kimber CDP Ultra Carry - fantastic....but pricey. Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "A good carry .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
loplop
April 3, 2007, 03:26 PM
I personally won't carry a 3" 1911 anymore, after having problems with a few over the years. So in 45 I'd be looking to the Commander sized 1911's (I'd choose a Colt) or perhaps one of these (SIG P220 Compact):
http://www.sigarms.com/images/catalog/product/220CompactBlkLeft.jpg

Reliability (paramount for any carry gun) is yet to be determined for this P220 variant, but I suspect it will be quite good. If it shoots as well as my P220 Carry does, it will be a great carry gun. I see they will be offering a SAS version; I may indeed look into that one.

The P220 Carry is a good option, too but it sounds like you want something a little smaller.

HK is bringing out the HK45 in a Compact size soon, that should be a fantastic pistol. There is also the HK USP 45 Compact to look at.

Those would be my choices.

BigO01
April 3, 2007, 03:35 PM
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=69064309

Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO .45 ACP I have seen many very good reviews of these weapons , have handled a few and they look like a winner in the compact 45 game .

WeThePeople
April 3, 2007, 04:58 PM
My Taurus Millenium Pro PT145 was a great gun. Light, short, easily concealable, 10+1 rounds of .45.

What more could you ask for you say? A recoil spring that doesn't get jammed through the front of the slide.

It has been at Taurus for a week now and they haven't even checked it in to the system. The rep told me that it would take some 5-6 weeks to get it back.

I'd hate to call it a dud at this point. My S&W also had a defect that revealed itself very early on. It was fixed by S&W and has had no problems since.

obxned
April 3, 2007, 05:19 PM
Ruger P345

The Law
April 3, 2007, 05:24 PM
I have a SIG P220 Carry. Beautiful gun!! :D

longeyes
April 3, 2007, 05:26 PM
Glock 36.

S&W 1911PD.

HKPRO
April 3, 2007, 05:52 PM
You can never go wrong with an HK compact. Alway's reliable and very comfortable. Check it out before you make your decision. You will not regret it if you get one. :)

VARifleman
April 3, 2007, 06:01 PM
Ultra Compact SA. 3.5" 1911.

yongxingfreesty
April 3, 2007, 06:02 PM
if you want something under 375, get a norinco. well made pistol. got mine in chrome, but they do come in blue

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=266698

Outlaw Man
April 3, 2007, 06:19 PM
I really liked my Bersa Mini Thunder other than the first shot DA trigger pull. If you're comfortable with that it's a very good gun. The recoil wasn't as obnoxious as I'd have figured on such a small gun.

Just something a little different to consider.

Whirlwind06
April 3, 2007, 10:59 PM
Does the Bersa have an alloy frame? Or steel?

10-Ring
April 3, 2007, 11:38 PM
Primarily for carry? I'd go w/ the Kahr...nice ergos, nice size & seemingly well made...IMO, the right choice!

CPshooter
April 4, 2007, 12:00 AM
The Kahr P45 gets my vote too. small, 6+1 shots, thin as hell, *nice* DAO trigger, good ergos, simple design.

Some people don't trust the polymer frames, including me after owning an older pm9, but from all the reviews i've been reading lately id say you have a better chance of success these days with Kahr. If your criteria is "carry" and ".45" then i'd definitely give one of these little P45s a look.

MPanova
April 4, 2007, 12:09 AM
One more vote for the Taurus PT145 ;)

Gordon
April 4, 2007, 12:11 AM
I carry my S&W 1911PD Gunsite Edition instead of my Colt Lightweight Officers (3.5") these days. The Scandium Frame and the smooth exterior combined with wonderful reliability is hard to beat! The real secret for CCW is the Holster. I carry it in a no longer made Mad Dog Taylor Thunderbolt on a Liger belt. Close to that rig is a Comp-Tac Pro Under Cover :
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/COMPTACPROUC
on a belt of your choice (hint: use a Liger belt and you are hooked for life!)
If you want a leather holster the Sparks IWB are hard to beat , I like the Summer Special for a 1911 - for 30 years!

ArchAngelCD
April 4, 2007, 02:27 AM
IMO the Taurus PT145 is exactly what you are looking for.

mdao
April 4, 2007, 02:40 AM
I carry my S&W 1911PD Gunsite Edition instead of my Colt Lightweight Officers (3.5") these days. The Scandium Frame and the smooth exterior combined with wonderful reliability is hard to beat! The real secret for CCW is the Holster. I carry it in a no longer made Mad Dog Taylor Thunderbolt on a Liger belt. Close to that rig is a Comp-Tac Pro Under Cover :
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/COMPTACPROUC
on a belt of your choice (hint: use a Liger belt and you are hooked for life!)
If you want a leather holster the Sparks IWB are hard to beat , I like the Summer Special for a 1911 - for 30 years!

Seconded.

My carry rig is a SW1911PD Gunsite in a Milt Sparks VMII with Wilderness Instructor belt.

Mainspring
April 4, 2007, 03:44 AM
I'm kinda partial to the Dan Wesson CBOB that I ordered a month ago and still haven't received. :mad:

http://www.czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=66

Todesengel
April 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
HK USP45 Compact

Baba Louie
April 4, 2007, 08:42 AM
Glock 36... but maybe too blocky still in the barrel/slide width.

S&W 457... blue or stainless. Not quite as chunky as the G30/36 slide, but close. In my hands, mine points low due to the straight backstrap design (I think... could be the grip angle).

LW Commander? Not cheap, but pretty close to heaven.

I'd like to try a SIG 220 Compact... again, not cheap (what's your life worth anyway?)

I'd also like to try out the little Taurus PT145MilPro, 'cause it is quite compact. Same with a Kahr 45, very slim.

I do like my Taurus PT945 (pre-lock and decock). It's about the same size and weight as a LW Commander and has never failed to go bang. I used to carry it daily.

Having said all that, I do carry a Springfield GI Champion or a Colt Combat Commander (neither are lightweights) that I trust and know to shoot well. Good belt and holster required since they're quite the little tank on the hip... reassuring in a way. As I age, I'll probably be wanting less weight to lug around.

jlh26oo
April 4, 2007, 08:56 AM
Not quite as chunky as the G30/36 slide

but just fyi those slides are not the same width- the 30 is as wide as the 21; while the 36 is actually slightly slimmer than a 26.

ulflyer
April 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
Kahr P45. Despite thier spotty reputation with quite a few having to go back for fixing, and much too high a price for what it is, I wanted one for carry because it just "felt right" in my hand. Bought one recently and so far have put about 500 rounds, mostly reloads, thru it with no failures other than a couple of primers that didn't ignite, or when I downloaded too much for the round to fully blow the slide back. It shoots straight and accurate, but a bit too low which can be fixed with a higher sight. I filed down the sharp ?serations? on the front and rear of the grips to suit me and I've now begun to carry it instead of my Mak.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=264603

MJZZZ
April 4, 2007, 10:04 AM
I carry the Kimber Ultra CDP and you are right about it being pricey. It has proven to be very reliable after some fine tuning, and it's the gun that travels with me. The reason I carry is to protect my family, and they are worth the extra cost of buying the Kimber. Mike

dust_101
April 4, 2007, 10:15 AM
Second or Third for the Kimber Ultra CDP (or CDP II)

Picked one of those up at Gander Mtn and oh dear Lord I found the next gun for purchase. All kinds of sweetness on that one. :D

Joemyxplyx
April 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
IMO the Taurus PT145 is exactly what you are looking for.

What he said. I've got about 400 rounds thru mine with no problems
at all so far:)

modifiedbrowning
April 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
Does the Bersa have an alloy frame? Or steel?
Alloy.
www.bersafirearmsusa.com

Pk14
April 4, 2007, 11:58 AM
It handles very well and carries great. If you are considering a 1911 as a CCW, it deserves your consideration. 28 oz. 4" bull barrel, accurate, reliable, and out-of-the-box, no mods needed.

Pk

Roadwild17
April 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
Well my pt145 has gone MIA to the Taurus factory. It wouldn't fire WWB, Remington UMC, Magtech, Federal, CCI Aluminum or most importantly, Winchester Ranger SXts & Speer gold dots. It kinda dint shoot anything besides CCI Blazer Brass. When I mean "not shoot" im talking somewhere between 5 to 11 failure to fires out of fifty round boxes.

deltacharlie
April 4, 2007, 12:36 PM
if you can afford the Kimber, get it
else
springfield Champion (their commander size 1911) is an excellent choice, as is the Colt's commander

if you're into plastic, H&K or XD are decent

either way, it's all good with a full mag of 45ACP!!

Lonestar.45
April 4, 2007, 01:43 PM
Glock 36.

I wanted one of the mini-1911's, but decided against one because of a) price and b)reliability. I love my Champion, but the 3" barreled 1911's seem to have a lot of problems. The only one that really appealed to me was the GI .45 in 3" barrel, but because of the weight factor I decided against it. I'm happy with the G36.

DawgFvr
April 4, 2007, 02:03 PM
+1 on the Taurus Millennium PT-145. I prefer the 2nd generation DAO...same uniformity of trigger pull with all my autos/revolvers. A very inexpensive & dependable 10 + 1 pocket cannon. :cool:

flashman70
April 4, 2007, 03:35 PM
Another vote for the H&K USPc .45.

BsChoy
April 4, 2007, 04:27 PM
I am looking to trade my gen 3 G19 towards a G30 as I have fallen back into the "bigger holes=better stopper" crowd even though I know deep down the 9mm in the boiler room will work fine. I had a G36 that was spot on out to 35 yards or so...great carry gun that my little bro owns now.

possum
April 4, 2007, 04:45 PM
check out the xd .45 compact, it is vertually 2 guns in one. it has the same barrel lenght as the service model, but the shortned grip. it has 10+1 flush fitting mags, and with the x tenstions and the 13rd mags it makes it the same dimensions as the service model. i think that would fit you perfectly.

CZ-100
April 4, 2007, 06:14 PM
Taurus PT145...:evil:

SwampWolf
April 4, 2007, 07:11 PM
My carry pistol is a SIG 220 Carry-totes well and is as concealable as a Colt Commander.

clang
April 4, 2007, 07:18 PM
I've got an original Kimber Ultra Carry, the first ones with the internal extractor, and it has performed flawlessly. It wasn't really that expensive either, but it doesn't have any fancy meltdown package or stylish grips or custom color.

mpmarty
April 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
Mine snapped off the front plastic part of the recoil spring also but kept right on shooting with no problems. Sent it to Taurus when I got a temp carry gun and they replaced the old spring, cleaned the gun, installed some trijicon sights I sent along with it and returned it to me in about two weeks with two extra brand new recoil spring assemblies all for no charge. I'm thinking I want to buy some more of these Tauri.:)

Sarge55
April 5, 2007, 12:33 AM
3" Colt Defender. Love it. Great carry gun. Lightweight, super accurate, totally reliable. Approximately 600 rounds through her, no FTF's, FTE, etc, etc. Have read in a few places that the Defender is probably the most reliable 3" 1911 out of the bunch. Doesn't have all the bells & whistles as some of the other brands, but was well worth the $750 I paid for it.

loplop
April 5, 2007, 09:17 AM
Sarge, Defenders are wonderful to shoot, no? I loved firing mine.

Unfortunately it turned unreliable around the, IIRC, 750 round mark. I could never get it back to 100% functional, and when Colt wanted me to pay a silly amount for a recoil spring assembly (and even went so far as to tell me they needed changing every 750 rounds) I stopped shooting the thing and traded it off.

Too bad, I really loved shooting it. I chose SIG for the replacement and have been very happy; I tossed ~1200 rounds downrange last month with my new carry P239 without one failure. I'm kinda happy to be off the 3" 1911 platform, IMO, and for smaller 45's I'll stick to SIG and Hk from now on.

orionengnr
April 5, 2007, 12:25 PM
Another vote for the Kahr P45. Mine has been perfect. It is thin, small, incredibly light (17.5 oz!) and reliable with any ammo I can throw at it.

I'll also go along with the Kimber CDP, in Ultra (3") or Pro (4"). 24 oz, but nice package, all the nice stuff (hammer, adj trigger, ambi safety, melted corners, nice rosewood grips). Deadly accurate and reliable as can be.

SniperStraz
April 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
+1 on the Sig P-220

TireFryer
April 5, 2007, 01:56 PM
Dan Wesson 1911 .45acp Commander Bobtail = FANTASTIC! :what:

info: http://www.danwessonfirearms.com/product_detail.php?id=66

Joe = great guy to buy from (got mine from him): http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=69509895 (I know this is for a 10mm, but he does have them in .45acp)

Redhat
April 5, 2007, 08:14 PM
I like my S&W Commander PD...28oz's, very accurate, and reliable.

Paints
April 5, 2007, 11:20 PM
If you want the most concealable, I've been happy with an old Kimber Compact (4", alloy frame). It shoots well and it's been reliable for me.

However, I generally prefer not to have a safety so I currently carry a Sig P220. VERY nice gun. Easy shooting and accurate.

I _might_ reconsider the Kimber for summer carry when I'm wearing shorts and a tee shirt. It does conceal more easily.

But I also feel it's not good to switch back and forth between SA and SA/DA action guns.

Ken

Black Snowman
April 6, 2007, 01:31 AM
Me personally, the Glock 36 would be at the top of the list followed by the Taurus PT145 or PT745. The Taurus' would have to prove themselves, the Glock I'd trust out of the box.

loplop
April 6, 2007, 08:39 AM
Paints, you could buy one of the P220 Compact's, or if you're OK with a caliber other than 45, a P239. I have a P220 Carry and a P239 for hotter weather. The P239 is the best carry gun I've ever had the pleasure of owning.

shark3-1
April 6, 2007, 10:07 AM
G36, it fits in a back pocket and WORKS.

HiVelocity
April 6, 2007, 10:12 AM
I too routinely carry my Glock 36 off duty as a police officer.

Its light, accurate, and conceals well. Buy a box of hardball to break yours in [assuming you want to carry a G-36] and then shoot two magazines of Cor-Bon DPX. DPX is what you want in your CWP handgun if things go bad.

Personally, I wish Glock would make both a 9mm and 10mm in a single stack configuration.

Good Luck,

HiVelocity in SC

geterdone
April 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
Hi Vrlocity...Man you have taken the words right out of my mouth. I personally think a single stack 45 and 9 in their line would sell like crazy!

tegemu
April 7, 2007, 09:21 AM
Another vote for the Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail (CBOB). Bobtails conceal better than any other kind of 1911's including the officers size with the shorter grip. My favorite IWB carry 1911 is a Light Weight Commander that I have had Bobtailed and for pocket carry, Kimber Ultra Carry II.

wera72
April 8, 2007, 01:31 PM
+1 - for PT145

Richard
April 8, 2007, 01:43 PM
I do not know why I haven't chimed in sooner; my car/truck/carry gun is a Bersa Thunder 45. This pistol is compact, lightweight, accurate, reliable, and inexpensive. My Bersa Thunder 45 does everything well for me. Regards, Richard:D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p27c390a3876e811336e89e72b5c35532/f98c3089.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "A good carry .45" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!