Polymer logivity

PDA

tango3065
April 3, 2007, 08:36 PM
I am doing a college research paper paper on the evolution of polymer, specifically polymer handguns and polymer shotgun receivers (benneli) and want to find a source or some opinions of polymer life span. Also I am not really talking round count just life span in general such as break down and brittleness. I know that 20 or so years is all we have to go on but they have to be some real world facts or even personal opinions on the longevity of polymer frames.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer logivity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
April 4, 2007, 12:58 AM
Have you tried e-mailing or writing Glock about this? Many companies are very happy to help students.

VA27
April 4, 2007, 01:18 AM
I've got a G17 made in 1988 and it's still going strong!

Mad Chemist
April 4, 2007, 01:27 AM
Polymer is a broad classification. Your question is similar to asking how long "metal" takes to rust. What type of polymer are you refering to? Polymers can be anything from polyethylene gloves, polystyrene coffee cups, not to mention the thousands of polyester variants.

If it helps any, I do believe that Glock frames are manufactured from a nylon polymer. Most common polymer plastics are fairly stable, some disolve in the presence of solvents some don't. Nearly all will be degraded by UV and thus sunlight as well. This can range from a matter of weeks (shopping bags) to decades (automobile dashboards).
BTW, in your thread title longevity is misspelled.

tango3065
April 4, 2007, 09:34 PM
So would around 100 years be to much to say for current gun manufactured polymer in you opinion, or would that be pushing it?

Mad Chemist thanks I hadn't noticed.

ZeSpectre
April 4, 2007, 09:57 PM
How interesting, never even gave that a second thought.

lee n. field
April 4, 2007, 10:06 PM
I've read somewhere that Ruger expects their plastic P series pistols to last better than the metal ones.

If you enjoyed reading about "Polymer logivity" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!