WI: Ziegler wins supreme court race

PDA

Monkeyleg
April 4, 2007, 02:23 AM
Annette Ziegler absolutely blew away Linda Clifford in the race to replace retiring state supreme court Justice Jon Wilcox.

Ziegler's win doesn't change the balance of conservative vs. liberals on the court, but does preserve it.

The Left is already wringing its hands over the race. Just read the story here (http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WI_ELN_SUPREME_COURT_WIOL-?SITE=WIMIL&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-04-03-23-07-10).

Next up is Doyle appointee Louis Butler in next year's elections. If we can defeat Butler, we'll have a much better chance of getting favorable decisions from the high court on matters such as concealed carry.

Here's the real irony, though. The Journal Sentinel ran a lengthy, but not surprising, editorial on Sunday endorsing Clifford. They alluded to charges that Ziegler may not have been entirely ethical by not recusing herself in cases that involved West Bend Bank, where her husband worked.

Well, yesterday the Clifford campaign used the Journal Sentinel's editorial words in phone bank calls, without identifying the source of the calls as coming from the Clifford campaign until the very end of the calls.

And the Journal Sentinel had to sic their legal beagles on the campaign of the candidate they touted as "most ethical."

As far as I'm concerned, the biggest loser in this campaign wasn't Clifford, it was the Journal Sentinel.

If you enjoyed reading about "WI: Ziegler wins supreme court race" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MattC
April 4, 2007, 04:53 AM
Yay for Ziegler! I was hoping we could keep the court balanced for now.

The JS is not known for its ethical editorials or top-notch reporters. It's known as a controversial paper that gets people emotional.

mpthole
April 4, 2007, 10:12 AM
I was very happy to hear Ziegler won. I actually got my wife to vote for my choice of candidate for once! (I guess sending her flower's yesterday helped! ;) )

So, what's the next step? Any strategy changes?

AJ Dual
April 4, 2007, 11:32 AM
Even better, the Journal Sentinel had to endorse Crawford in the free (I probably should call it unsolicited trash) copy of the Sunday paper they've been leaving on my front porch. :rolleyes:

It's either a ploy to up their circulation numbers, even if it's at a loss, or a desparate attempt to get subscribers.

Good news in the Oshkosh mayors race I see as well!

Trip20
April 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
Very good news. I talked two co-workers into voting (they were otherwise mostly non-voters). They said they voted for Ziegler.

I'll tell you what I learned in dealing with these two co-workers. Attack adds do make a significant impact.

When asked what they knew about the candidates, each co-worker was only able to name a few items mentioned in recent attack adds. They knew absolutely nothing more, other than, I think, Ziegler having judicial experience.

AJ Dual
April 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
It gives me some additional hope about the state of WI's politics with a view twoards carry.

Doyle's re-election, and the state Senate tipping to the Democrats just seems to be coattails of the overall '06 MSM/Iraq jauggernaut, and not any real political shift. Just the movments of lemmings apparently.

It's the only way I can square it with the fact that the anti-gay marriage amendment passed last fall with an unbelievable 60/40 landslide.

Gene_WI
April 4, 2007, 12:51 PM
Good news.

If you enjoyed reading about "WI: Ziegler wins supreme court race" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!