Desert Eagle problems

PDA

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
April 4, 2007, 10:53 AM
I recently bought a Desert Eagle Mk VII in .44 magnum. I love the gun, it shoots great and feels good in the hand. But I have a problem.

The first time I shot it, I wound up with a sliver of hot brass in my left eye(I'm left handed). A trip to eye doctor fixed me up as good as new, and it was partially my fault for not wearing glasses. I 'forgave' the gun, thinking it might have just been a fluke. So I shot it again this weekend(with glasses), and it seemed like every shot I took the brass was landing on my head; leading me to think that the sliver was not a fluke.

What I would like to ask you all is if any of you have had a similar expirience? Is it something that can be fixed?

Thanks,
DI

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert Eagle problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hawk
April 4, 2007, 11:21 AM
Magnum Research FAQ suggests you're letting it torque to the left - they suggest a Weaver "push-pull" grip.

I may chafe over their "limp wrist" remarks but the "brass in the face" issue I'll have to grant them.

However, and this is a big "however", is that the reference is to empty brass - not pieces of empty brass. Are you getting pelted with "slivers" routinely?

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
April 4, 2007, 11:28 AM
I can't tell. When I first shot it and got the sliver, I put about three mags through it with only one sliver. As for the second time, I haven't detected any slivers in my face or any obvious scratches on my glasses.

As for the push-pull grip, that is what I normally employ on larger handguns such as this. I don't recall feeling any sort of tourque on my wrists, though I'm sure it would be hard to detect.

Hawk
April 4, 2007, 12:33 PM
Probably not grip-related then. Their reference to "torquing to the left" implies a sufficient twist and rotation that your head is the normal path of ejection. One would assume that degree of twist would be noticable.

DE FAQ is here: http://www.magnumresearch.com/

Can you tell what part of the original case the sliver came from?

THE DRILL INSTRUCTOR
April 4, 2007, 03:21 PM
No. The sliver was barely visible to the naked eye; but big enough to be very irritating.

Whoah, reading that FAQ I found out that mine is a MK1! It's in 95% condition, custom sights, 18XXX serial, polygonal bore. I can't seem to find a website to gets it's value. Can you help me there?

MachIVshooter
April 4, 2007, 11:24 PM
Getting brass faced by the Desert Eagle is a well known phenomenon, especially with .50's. I had to work through it with mine. You just have to make a concerted effert to keep recoil going straight up, rather than allowing the gun to twist in the path of normal wrist rotation.

RevolvingCylinder
April 5, 2007, 12:11 AM
Desert Eagle Forum:
http://p088.ezboard.com/fthedeserteaglefrm1

If anyone knows the value or a solution to your problem, it will be them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert Eagle problems" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!