Explosive/incendiary ammo

PDA

Combat-wombat
June 12, 2003, 11:40 PM
First, let me start this thread off with one question. Is it legal to buy explosive/incendiary ammunition?

If you enjoyed reading about "Explosive/incendiary ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Arkady
June 13, 2003, 12:27 AM
As far as i know, incendiary is fine.
API (Armor Piercing Incendiary) ammo is pretty popular among .50 BMG shooters, it seems :)

I'm, reasonably sure that truly 'explosive' ammo is a no-no, though.

Combat-wombat
June 13, 2003, 12:28 AM
Okay nevermind I thought it wasn't legal. Where can you get incendiary ammo?

50 Shooter
June 13, 2003, 01:02 AM
Try
www.rvow.com
www.patsreloading.com
www.watsonsweapons.com
www.hi-techammo.com

Orthonym
June 13, 2003, 02:52 AM
As near as I can remember from my last look at the statute (NOT a lawyer) anything which flames or goes boom after it leaves the piece is forbidden to all except cops in this state. Shoot, we're not even allowed to have BLANK cartridges! As the man said, you can look it up. Wonder how they start foot races.

Ian
June 13, 2003, 03:22 AM
Explosive is ok to buy as well (assuming your state doesn't ban it). The most common "explosive" ammo I know is spotter ammo for old bolt-actions. The idea is that it'll explode on impact and throw up a nice big puff of dirt, allowing the shooter to see where rounds are falling. I have some .30-06 of that type that I found at a cartridge collectors' show. The other "explosive" is .50 BMG 'Raufoss' ammo. It has an AP core, some incendiary filler, AND an explosive charge. Can be identified by a white tip and green band, as well as a price of $25+ per round. The explosive charge is just under 1/4oz, so it's not legally a destructive device.

If you enjoyed reading about "Explosive/incendiary ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!