.22 magnum on deer?

PDA

thechosenone
April 4, 2007, 03:42 PM
I asked this on another forum and i got mixed results, everyone here seems pretty knowledgeable so i'll see what you guys think. I know that this is frowned upon, and no one should shoot a game animal with a cartridge that is not adequate for that particular animal. But i personaly know 3 people that have shot whitetail deer using a .22 magnum, all were head shots and all were dropped in there tracks, one being a 200lb 10 point buck. Now what i'm trying to get at is what kind of ammo would be best for head shots on whitetail deer? Would it be FMJ so it would penetrate better or would you use the V-max bullets for better expantion? I don't think i would every use a .22 magnum on deer but in case the need arises what should i use?

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 magnum on deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DixieTexian
April 4, 2007, 03:54 PM
It's illegal in Texas to hunt deer with rimfire, but my grandfather has said he has killed them before with a .22LR (long ago). He said neck shots are good. It would work as long as you know where to hit and can hit it. Dr. James Kroll said he uses a .22-250 for his studies. Shoots them at the base ot the skull I think so that they drop instantly and the stress doesn't cause their body chemistry to change before they can perform a necropsy.

oregonhunter
April 4, 2007, 03:54 PM
30-06

Grumulkin
April 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
There was a post on another forum a few months ago from a guy in Mongolia with an antelope taken with a Ruger semiautomatic pistol in 22 LR. It was taken with one shot and it wasn't a head shot either. In once of his books, Peter H. Capstick relates a story of 2 elephants taken with a 22 LR (both with one shot) and, in another book, tells of a cape buffalo taken with a single shot from a 22 Hornet.

The take home message is, you can take a large animal with a small bullet if the hole is in the right place. If using a small bullet, you need penetration above all else so an FMJ or solid is the way to go. Also, to take a large animal with a small bullet you need to be either very talented in shot placement or very lucky.

A 22-250 Remington is in a class far above the 22 WMR or 22 LR. With this cartridge, you don't need to limit yourself to head shots. It works just fine on broadside heart/lung shots. I've never tried a Texas heart shot with one but I doubt it would work well for one of those.

Jackal
April 4, 2007, 05:20 PM
Ah, the .22 mag, the poacher's dream.....:rolleyes:

Sniper X
April 4, 2007, 06:15 PM
I lived in Texas for a few years, was stationed at Ft. Sam. Anywho, almost everyone who I hunted with on their ranches for deer used .22mag, all of them. Works great if you shoot well, and the Texas heart shot (head shot) wasn't the method, they all made regular vitals shots.

Art Eatman
April 4, 2007, 06:29 PM
The most important point is that one makes a clean, ethical kill. Working on the margin just isn't part of the deal. You use enough gun such that the tissue damage and loss of blood will bring an animal to a stop within a reasonable distance, even if the shot is less than perfect.

Art

koja48
April 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
Why take a chance on NOT making a clean, humane kill?

'Card
April 4, 2007, 08:51 PM
I've got to stop looking at these threads. :cool:

Look, the question shouldn't be: Can you kill a deer with X cartridge?
Of course you can. You can kill a deer with a toothpick if you can get him to stand still long enough.

The question should be: Is X cartridge a good choice for killing a deer?
That depends. Does it allow a margin for error? If the placement isn't perfect, and the conditions aren't perfect, and if bullet has the potential to be effected by limbs and brush in the flight path, and if the deer flinches or jumps just as you pull the trigger - will it still get the job done?

So you've got to consider those factors and come to your own decisions. For me? In the kind of rugged terrain where I usually hunt, a .270 is about as light as I'm comfortable going with. On open plains, I think the .243 is a good choice, but that's about as small as I'd go.

But that decision is different for everybody.

Clipper
April 4, 2007, 09:25 PM
Back in the '60s my granddad bought one of the original Winchester pump rifles they brought out to introduce the .22WMR (I forget what model that was), for the express purpose of some nighttime venison shopping. He took a couple with DRT head or neck shots, and was amazed at the performance. He finally gave up those practices after he found out what I'd been telling him about the modern day consequences of getting caught was true...

22-rimfire
April 4, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'm not aware that the 22WMR or 22LR is legal anywhere in the US for white tail deer. The 22WMR is what some poachers use. These people need to be put in jail.

Why even consider what bullet is best when it is illegal to hunt deer with the 22WMR? Use a caliber and rifle that has sufficient power to efficiently take a deer and not one that you have to depend on head shots. You can take lots of game with a small bullet with head shots. Doesn't make it the best choice or even one you should consider.

Matt G
April 5, 2007, 04:46 AM
While the law surrounding cartridges legal for taking deer in thechosenone's vicinity is really pretty liberal ("any centerfire rifle"), it doesn't allow rimfires.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/legalimp.html

Which he should know.

Which he could have found as easily as I just did in 3 minutes.

Which makes me wonder. . . .

Grumulkin
April 5, 2007, 09:09 AM
I'm not aware that the 22WMR or 22LR is legal anywhere in the US for white tail deer.

Actually, in some circumstances they are but I'm not going to say where.

wildfowl
April 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
I am sure it can be done, but why when there are so many better rounds out there, LIKE the .458 Win Mag........

DixieTexian
April 5, 2007, 04:36 PM
Go for a heart lung shot with a .50 BMG. Saves having to field dress it.

Ankeny
April 5, 2007, 07:04 PM
Hmmm...let's combine threads and talk about hunting deer with a single shot 22. :D

Grumulkin
April 5, 2007, 07:42 PM
I think it's clear you can take a deer with a 22 WMR or 22 LR. Now, I believe we need to discuss whether one could be taken with a 17 Mach 2 or a 17 HMR; single shot if you like.

Kimber1911_06238
April 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
Illegal and a bad idea. You could probably kill a deer with a pellet gun, but why? All it does is make the animal suffer for a long period of time.

Bearhands
April 5, 2007, 07:46 PM
Matt G....... "make me wonder" TOO!!!!!!! ***???????//

Oohrah
April 5, 2007, 08:40 PM
Many years ago when I was hungry and had no money, twice low
behind the shoulder were instant kills. The third was a tracking
chore, that it wasn't repeated again, and an oath to never use
anything without the bullet energy to do the job under any circumstances.
The failure for an instant kill was a rib that changed the bullet path.
This took place in a wilderness area and the native Americans used it
also with results that also moved them toward centerfire rifles.

thechosenone
April 5, 2007, 08:48 PM
I know what the law is in my state. I'm asking the question because i sometimes see deer when im hunting squirrels and other small game. I enjoy walking around in back and i like to take along my .22 mag. This would be a situation were i would use this information. I'm not a poacher and i don't advocate poaching. I do realize my 30-06 or mosin would do a much better job on deer than a .22 mag but i don't frequently use either on squirrels or other little critters. The three fellows that i know that have killed deer with a .22 mag have been in similar circumstances. Just to clear everything up. I really enjoy hearing what everyone has to say and i have learned a lot since i have became a member. And i thank everyone that takes the time to answer the question i post. thanks again.

marksman13
April 5, 2007, 10:02 PM
Even if you are "squirrel hunting", I don't think anyone here is going to advocate illegally killing a deer with a rimfire. Laws are laws and they are in place for a reason. Try suirrel hunting with a shotgun and take along slugs or buckshot for any deer you may see, if they are "in season".

BIGR
April 5, 2007, 10:24 PM
Many deer and game animals have been taken with a .22 or .22 mag. Will they kill deer? Yea with the proper shot. Is it a good practice to go out and use one for deer hunting? NO, use a bigger caliber and make a humane kill on the animal.

koja48
April 6, 2007, 08:21 AM
If I'm ever ATTACKED by a deer when all I'm carrying is a .22 mag, I'll let you know, 'cuz that's the only time this old boy would consider using one on a critter that size . . . you'll probably be waiting awhile for the answer . . .

Lonestar
April 6, 2007, 09:19 AM
Back in the '60s my granddad bought one of the original Winchester pump rifles they brought out to introduce the .22WMR (I forget what model that was), for the express purpose of some nighttime venison shopping. He took a couple with DRT head or neck shots, and was amazed at the performance. He finally gave up those practices after he found out what I'd been telling him about the modern day consequences of getting caught was true...

Clipper, just so you know, your grand dads rifle was probably a winchester model 62. A friend of mine bought a taurus copy in .22lr to the range the other day. Neat gun.

Bricky62
April 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
When I used to cut meat for a living we used to shoot cattle with a .22mag. Right between the eyes and 2" higher--It drops them all. I only ever saw one big herford bull get back up but he was so dazed a 2nd one in the same spot did it. However, this is from 10 to 30 ft. Poachers like this round because it doesn't wake everybody up for miles and will definately kill a deer if well placed and within range of thier headlights. Like the guy from Texas said though, it's illeagal there, and it's illeagal here in Wyoming too ( for large game). It's also illeagle in Nebraska, I don't know for sure but I suspect it's illeagal most places as a large game round. Probably not a very good choice anyway for this purpose. In Wyoming you need at least a .243 and this or a .250 Savage is a much better deer round.

Nitram68
April 6, 2007, 02:33 PM
My opinion is that shot placement trumps caliber, every time. A .22 will do the job but for the record, follow your state's laws regarding minimum caliber requirements.

Art Eatman
April 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
The reason ya don't use pipsqueak cartridges is because Mr. Murphy never quits. If you're off the point of aim by just a smidgen, or if the animal moves just a bit as you think, "Press," on the trigger, you have a wounded critter that you might never find.

Poachers don't care. I do.

Art

quatin
April 6, 2007, 05:48 PM
http://www.volny.cz/buchtik/Revo/22mag_us.htm

From a .22wmr enthusiast. Even he doesn't recommend it for deer, although he said he has shot some with it. Good read never the less and some insight on bullet selection.

Sunray
April 7, 2007, 12:21 AM
"...the V-max bullets..." 'V-Max' is a Hornady brand name for their varmint bullet line. They have nothing to do with the .22 Mag. In any case, hunting deer with a rimfire of any kind is illegal everywhere. Even in Texas.
"...This would be a situation were..." That doesn't make it legal. Shooting a deer with a .22 mag while squirrel hunting will get you arrested.

DWARREN123
April 7, 2007, 03:35 AM
I would not unless really needed to survive. It has been done before and will probably be done again.

Zeke/PA
April 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
Once on a winter trapline I encountered a large doe that I dispatched with a .22 long rifle fired from a S&W K-22.
The range was about 10 yards and I shot from a rested position resulting in an instant behind the ear kill.
Stunt? No , I desperatly needed the meat.
I would not recommend ANY rimfire cartridge for deer hunting.
Zeke

351 WINCHESTER
April 9, 2007, 12:49 AM
If I needed the meat for my family and a .22 or .22mag. was all I had and knowing my limitations, I would not hesitate on a head shot. I've killed many a wild hog with a .22 mag. leveraction and with the proper shot placement it's meat in the freezer. I don't shoot any animal with any caliber rifle unless I'm 99% sure of the shot. Can't stand to see anything suffer.

I hunt in Fl where the hog's are big and mean and the deer tend to be on the smallish side. The .22mag. get's the job done.

I've seen it all. Deer hunter's armed with .338 win mags, .300 mags. - too much gun for deer. Actually a 30-30 under 150 yds. will probably kill quicker than the heavier constructed bullets most found on the magnums. My vet hunted plains game in Africa with a 7mm mag. Had excellent results. He goes deer hunting in south carolina and is wounding them. I told him to go to a lighter weight bullet and that would solve his problem. His 150gr. bullets were probably just passing thru with little or no expansion. A 30-30 sp at 2200fps is poison on our whitetails and easy on the shoulder and ears. Besides, the marlin just feels good in my hand and comes up to my shoulder like greased lightning.

Matt G
May 1, 2007, 06:15 AM
The reason ya don't use pipsqueak cartridges is because Mr. Murphy never quits. If you're off the point of aim by just a smidgen, or if the animal moves just a bit as you think, "Press," on the trigger, you have a wounded critter that you might never find.

Poachers don't care. I do.
Art puts it neatly.

45crittergitter
May 4, 2007, 10:17 PM
All rimfires, BB guns, shotguns with birdshot, buckshot or slugs, all handguns and all centerfire rifles are legal for deer in MS during the regular gun season. I have personally witness a DRT lung shot on a small deer with a .17 HMR 17-gr. load. However like the others said, use a better cartridge.

eliphalet
May 4, 2007, 10:50 PM
Seems we're kinda back to the it " because it can", ideas.
That doesn't mean it should be or is responsible either.

Troutman
May 8, 2007, 05:21 PM
Since those that say about over-penetration with large calibers, and one knows how some of these scenarios’ can get.
Maybe they feel that the .22 mag. will not over penetrate.
Leaving out the terrain, weather conditions, time of day…..their could be a woman, strolling with a baby carriage in the woods/mountains, for all one knows.

songsofreedom
May 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hey guys, I remember a time when we were walking on our property, and I once saw my father drop a deer with a plain old .22 from a marlin lever action from about 15 yards away. He aimed for the neck, the deer ran about 20 yards, and dropped dead in its tracks. In my opinion, you can take deer with a properly placed shot, up to 40 yards. Anything beyond that, you would have to use a .22 magnum at least. But it will do the job. Personally, I hunt with a 30-06 rifle, because I love that gun, not because of the ammo. Its a matter of opinion, potato, patato, same bull.

gezzer
May 8, 2007, 08:17 PM
I'm not aware that the 22WMR or 22LR is legal anywhere in the US for white tail deer.
You are right you are not aware. The 22 magnum is LEGAL for deer in MAINE.

Not a great gun for deer hunting but they have been taken with one.

Note: NH State hired a so called "Marksman" to cull deer off of an island in the big lake. He used a silenced 10-22 22lr with NO losses of shot deer.

It's not hard out of a tree stand over bait to whack a deer in the head.

GooseGestapo
May 9, 2007, 12:39 AM
The original posters question was a valid inquiry.

Though this issue has been 'cussed and discussed often on this and other forums, his question was actually one of the better ones and deserved a reasonable anwser.

I asked the question once as a rhetorical one and got conflicting answers myself.(long before the days of the internet, however). Unlike the majority, I was in a position to "need" to know for valid reasons. Hence, I set about to "find out". I did so by trying the options available.

As a conservation officer, I often had the function to dispatch injured or nuisance wildlife and as time wore on, due to "people" issues, needed to do it in a more "discreet" manner than torching off a .300RemUltMag to put down a 75lb doe caught in a barbwire fence near a community playground, or one that was bleating incessantly at the scene of an automobile accident it had caused; and 20-30 bystanders and rescue workers were compounding the situation.

The reality came to light after I was called because a deputy who was not such a good shot, fired 7rds from his 9mm into an injured doe that proceeded to jump up and run across two lanes of an interstate highway and run in front of another car causing ANOTHER ACCIDENT !! All the while, a superior court judge and county commissioner looked on! (there had been a "stink" about the deputies going to the 9mm. This poured "gas" on the fire !!! But it really was an ammo issue. This got that resolved !!!) Needless to say the single shot from a "Hunter Ed" gun..... a single shot Stevens .22lr (I had it in the truck because I'd just left a Hunter Ed course I'd taught and couldn't get to the .22Hornet) of discussion too. My captain once did the same with his Mod. 36 S&W, much to the chagrin of the onlooking deputies.............

Anyway..................
The best .22mag round for dispatching DEER, is the Winchester 40gr jhp.(or similar rounds from other manufacturers). The FMJ and TMJ's WILL completly penetrate and can cause an additional hazard to bystanders with headshots, and most usually will completely penetrate with a broadside chest shot. Ask me how I know....BTDT. Also, the jhp's will expand giving better shock and trauma rendering the animal much more quickly incapacitated. (shatters the cranium on headshots). (See episode involving the 9mm FMJ above).

For "poaching", I saw much better effect from the .22Hornet in rural settings. But it's not as quiet as you may think. In more settled areas, even the .22mag was unmistakeable. The .22rf was much more desirable from the poachers point of view, but, it's hard to "escape" when you are being watched and videotaped with nightvision gear which is now ubiquitous with even the most cash strapped agencies. We even had remote sensors to include seismic and infrared motion sensors and remote computer downlinks on our covert units........ but I again digress............

I utilized the .22mag and equivalent loads (cast bullets in a .22Hornet) on a number of occasions. One that particularly stands out was a smallish 8pt buck that had been chased (witnessed) by a larger deer and jumped into an empty concrete holding tank at the local municipality water treatment plant. The staff wanted the deer (alive but with two broken legs) "euthanized" but didn't want a round busting the concrete and causing $,$$$,$$$ damage and further repair cost to a unit already down for maintainance. The "hornet" with the cast bullet load did nicely. I had the deer out and was leaving and the plant manager wanted to know why I was leaving so soon, already................

On another occasion, a yearling buck (small spikes) had gotten over(under?) a "deer-proof" fence into a backyard-community/swimming pool compound. Efforts to flush the deer out had been unsuccessful and the residents were leaving for the weekend and didn't want the deer getting onto a pool that had been covered for the winter and were afraid the deer would damage the cover. The "lady" practically swooned when I removed the bull barreled and target -scoped 10/22 from the pickup. 5minutes later as I was driving off with the dispatched deer, the husband wanted to know what I was going to do about the deer. I said I was taking it to the County jail where they would make hamburger of it. His puzzled look was sufficient for me to point to the bed of the truck. He looked in and asked "how did you do it?" I stated, "head shot". He said..... I didn't hear you shoot! I stated...... its just a .22!" He replied "WOW", I didn't know a .22 would do that! (CCI minimag hp to the left ear at 50' -not much noise, >>>>>> but a lot of blood !) (What, no earth shattering Kaboom............... there was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom..............) (.22lr)

shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but: do use "enough" gun.

However; "Enough" can depend on the circumstances.
And, know your equipment and it's limitations.
My choice of a survival rifle would be a takedown .22mag with an assortment of ammo.
Cost, weight, power, compact size, accuracy.
Ammo is only slightly more bulky and heavy than .22rf but ~3-4x more powerful. Only ~1/2 less powerful than much more expensive .22Hornet.
And, in a pinch (survival situation- aircraft forcedowns, for instance) CAN take larger than "small" game if neccessary.

phantomak47
May 9, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thats like trying to frame a house with a toy hammer.....use enough gun.

quatin
May 9, 2007, 12:57 PM
.22wmr is LOUD. What's the pressure of this thing? There's only been 3 known calibers that has set off my car alarm. 22-250 from a 20'' barrel, .460taylor and a .22wmr from a 4 5/8'' revolver.

eliphalet
May 9, 2007, 01:56 PM
Though this issue has been 'cussed and discussed often on this and other forums, his question was actually one of the better ones and deserved a reasonable anwser.

I agree with you but "dispatch" but "hunt with" are two completely different situations. I kinda think thats what was being ask.
I carry an American Arms 1 1/2" barrel 22 in my pocket when big game hunting for coup de grace (SP) if needed. A 22 LR will works great up close even in that tiny revolver. I have used it on a couple of deer one elk and a 150 lb dog I was ask to "put out of it's misery" because the owner could not afford to have the vet do it( not fun). Almost instant for all death if not.
Dispatch, or perfectly placed head shots are a whole different ball game than big game hunting. At least any big game hunting I have ever done. 22's are about right for cottontail rabbits.

shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but: do use "enough" gun.
Very correct.

.45Guy
May 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
You can use anything you please in OH when filling crop damage tags.

bclark1
May 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
"Overpenetration" is not a problem. There is no such thing as too much gun, except the gun you can't shoot well. If your bullets aren't expanding or are zipping through and you're not killing them, your shot placement is what's off. I've killed a few deer with 165gr's that zip right through both sides, never seen one take more than a couple steps, they're dead long before I'm poking them.

I think these "brown bear w/ 2mm kolibri" threads are sort of worn out. There's a lot of good questions out there about what is and what isn't possible, but in caliber questions I think the answer is always "No, if you have to ask you're not using enough gun."

libertyfirst
May 17, 2009, 10:35 PM
I'm pretty late with a response to the question, but here goes. It is legal to hunt deer with a 22 mag. in my home state and I have done it a lot. All of the deer I've taken have been from a tree stand and the longest shot I've ever taken was just over 40 yards. I've shot 6 deer to date and none have gone anyplace. I've always used the 40 gr. jhp Winchester. I only shoot absolutely broadside shots and would pass on any deer that doesn't present that shot. I've never poached a deer or shot a deer under the lights and have never considered this a stunt. I would never recommend this cartridge to anyone but a knowledgeable and careful hunter. It's odd that I enjoy hunting with this round so much, I have 23 high power rifles that haven't been out of my safe in quite a long time. Not for everyone I guess, just adding information.

MCgunner
May 17, 2009, 10:46 PM
I'm pretty late with a response to the question

Yeah, no kiddin'. :D Hell, this ain't bad, though. I've seen threads dug up from 2003.

I've seen hogs shot with a .22 short and killed instantly, but that don't make the .22 short a great hog gun. :rolleyes:

moooose102
May 17, 2009, 10:57 PM
when we were young and dumb, i had a family member shoot a deer with a 22 magnum. it was deer season, and he was convinced he could do the job with it. he shot it in the head at about 80 yards. it collaped right where it stood. the only problem was that about 2 minutes later, it came to and got right back up. it was stunned, and kind of staggering. i shot it in the shoulder with my 30-30 and it dropped again, this time, it did not get back up. anyway, the 40 grain fmj bullet hit it right above the eye, and bounced off. it knocked that poor deer for a loop, but it certainly did not kill it. bottom line is when hunting, BRING ENOUGH GUN! it is your responsibility to make a quick humane kill, so the animal does not suffer unnecessarily. a 22 mag, is not enough gun!

jimmyraythomason
May 17, 2009, 11:06 PM
Illegal in alabama. I wouldn't deer hunt with a .22mag but if my survival depended on it I would only make head shots.

Mokwepa
May 18, 2009, 12:13 AM
In South africa, all/most of the game farms use 22lr's with a silencer at night(spotlight for Culling impala. They are effective if you can shoot straight.

MCgunner
May 18, 2009, 09:17 AM
Rimfire is illegal for deer in Texas. I think that might be in part due to the fact that it's the poacher's favorite tool.

Folks sometimes ask me what I think of a kid using a .22-250 for deer. Now, the .22-250 is a heckuva lot more gun than .22 mag. I tell 'em if the kid can't handle a .243, he's got no business deer hunting, JMHO. When I was 11 years old, I was already head shooting squirrel out to 50 yards with a very accurate Remington bolt .22, but I killed my first deer that year with a .257 Roberts, on the run at 75 yards partially obscured by the ridge of a ravine. I couldn't have shot that deer with a rimfire.

Modern times, there are better bullets for .22 centerfire guns and our deer aren't that big down here. I've mellowed on the .22-250. Now, I have no use for one, don't want one for deer hunting, but a well placed shot from a .22-250 in the lungs with the proper controlled expansion bullet can do the job on Texas whitetail, especially hill country deer, more the size of a big coyote. LOL Another reason I'd rather be in the stand with that old .257 or my .308, though, is that we have a lot of hogs down here and I like to shoot 'em and they're a lot bigger and tougher than a deer.

geologist
May 18, 2009, 09:54 AM
In Northern Ontario, some subhuman poachers I knew used .22 magnums to poach moose. They knew the best spots for the moose to bed down. They'd go out on rainy days and shoot them when they were bedded down. Disgusting.

shaggy430
May 18, 2009, 02:07 PM
Look, it's illegal. Why are we still talking about this?

MCgunner
May 18, 2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think it's illegal everywhere, but it probably should be.

Titan6
May 18, 2009, 06:15 PM
You can but should not.

bang_bang
May 18, 2009, 06:39 PM
You can but should not.

Exactly. I've done it. I'm sure there are one or two other people here that have done it. There are better choices, but, now some of us know when SHTF that a .22 Mag can take some decent sized game. :D

KBintheSLC
May 18, 2009, 06:42 PM
Respect the animal enough to kill it with an adequate round. Even if the shot costs you $1+ for one round of ammo, is that not a fair price to pay for many meals from mother nature?

I would use my .22 to hunt deer in a survival situation where I had no other choice. But you do have another choice... many.

MCgunner
May 18, 2009, 06:49 PM
There are better choices, but, now some of us know when SHTF that a .22 Mag can take some decent sized game

Yep, in a survival situation, a .22 or .22 mag is nice in that you can stuff several hundred rounds into a pack at it takes up less space and weighs less than a box of 12 gauge. I even have a little take down AR7 with a scope on it that weighs maybe 3 lbs total, scope and all. It shoots accurate enough to head shoot a deer at 50 yards. Heck, yeah, I'd shoot a deer with a .22 if it meant I didn't have to die of malnutrition. :D That's a little different than sport hunting, though.

noob_shooter
May 19, 2009, 05:15 AM
i think someone is planning on shooting deers with a 22wmr. haha

libertyfirst
May 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think that we have become too fond of huge powerful cartridges, to the point where we feel that anything that doesn't generate enough power to penetrate both side of a army tank is inadequate to destroy the lungs of a game animal. I've lost one deer in my life and that was a ill advised shot with a bow at a very young age. Every deer that I've shot with rifles from the Winchester 300 Mag. on down to the 22 mag. have been one shot kills and all have died very quickly. Taking carefully placed shots at close range and passing up on shots that have the potential to fail is the key to successfully harvesting venison. My family once hunted with a fine gentleman from New York state and he owned a beautifully made custom rifle in 7mm Mag. He hit a running doe way to far back and then took another shot at her ass end and connected low in the ham. Over an hour later my brother dispatched her with his 30-30 Win. He was never invited back on our land. The hunter has to know his games anatomy and have the resolve to pass on some shots.

hockea
May 31, 2009, 11:58 AM
The 22rf is still legal for caribou in Alaska (p18)
http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regulations/pdfs/general.pdf

Dixie Slugs
May 31, 2009, 05:38 PM
The Winchester that was a 22 Magnum was the Mod 61 (also made in regular .22 rimfire). The Mod 61 was hammerless, while the Mod 62 was a hammer model. I think the 22 Magnum Mod 61 was made for only two years and are worth a mint now.....Regards, James

libertyfirst
May 31, 2009, 08:40 PM
The 22 mag. that I've used most of my life is the Win. M61Mag. that you mentioned. This is an excellent rifle! I've never had a failure to feed or to eject with this fine little hunting tool. This is the same rifle that I've used to harvest 6 deer. I have two other 22Mag. rifles but the Win. rides in my truck with me everyday. I'm not much of a collector but I think that you time line is about right.

.333 Nitro Express
June 1, 2009, 04:33 PM
What Art said.

Any caliber will kill--given certain conditions and/or eventually.

What should guide our choice, however, is what gives us the best chance to take game humanely.

1 - Arm yourself with a cartridge that has plenty of power for your game, but that you still shoot accurately and confidently. Going out with a cannon that makes you flinch is not much better than doing so with an underpowered pipsqueak you shoot well.

2 - There's no virtue in getting lucky--even if you get lucky all the time. Luck is just luck, and can turn on you at any moment.

3 - There's virtue in knowing which shots to pass up in light of accurate assessment of your shooting skills and your equipment's limitations. It's easier to brag about your self-restraint than to explain your having lost a wounded animal. ;)

4 - Every time you're about to pull the trigger, remember that your goals are to kill and not to wound. They go together. Always.

Tom

~z
June 1, 2009, 05:04 PM
There's virtue in knowing which shots to pass up in light of accurate assessment of your shooting skills and your equipment's limitations. It's easier to brag about your self-restraint than to explain your having lost a wounded animal.

Sage advice, you would be welcome to hunt with me any day.
~z

thunder173
June 1, 2009, 07:29 PM
Back in another lifetime,..when I was young and hungry, ...yep,...more than a few times. Head shots only,...usually 25-35 yards max. Could ya? Yep. SHOULD ya? I'd say only in dire circumstances where it was all you had. Otherwise,...no.

Girodin
June 2, 2009, 01:42 AM
V-Max' is a Hornady brand name for their varmint bullet line. They have nothing to do with the .22 Mag.

Hornady offers a WMR load with a 30 grain v max bullet.

http://www.ammo-sale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=50594

Girodin
June 2, 2009, 01:49 AM
While the law surrounding cartridges legal for taking deer in thechosenone's vicinity is really pretty liberal ("any centerfire rifle"), it doesn't allow rimfires.

I guess a 5.7x28 could be used to test the effectiveness of the 22WMR. BTW I am being factious and not really advocating that. It is too little gun IMO. I know it can and has been but I wouldn't recommend it

If you enjoyed reading about ".22 magnum on deer?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!