Removing TT33 imported safety?

PDA

Laughing Man
April 5, 2007, 12:24 AM
Have a norinco 9mm tokarev pistol want to remove cheesy safety, but dunno what or how to do it. also what could i use to fill the hole up with? or does anyone know of any grips that can cover over the gap left behind?

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing TT33 imported safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sara bellum
April 5, 2007, 12:35 AM
Glad you brought this issue up. For a couple of reasons it is important:

1. Antique pieces lose their C&R status when a safety is added (check ATF C&R Guidelines for discussion of safeties).

2. Collectors may personally want to restore a Norinco 9mm Tokarev to recognize its historic configuration. Even if the arm itself is not 50 years old it is still in use today/manufactured in many nations (in private and public use) in either 9mm or 7.62 x 25.

Closing up the safety hole is a step in the right direction to restoring the arm to its historic configuration. However, how to do it? Silver solder?

If anyone has any thoughts on how to close up that safety hole and cure the channels gouged into the frame for safety movement, let us know!

Laughing Man
April 5, 2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah no kidding we need to know as i hate this safety its simply RETARDED!:cuss: :banghead:

Mortech
April 5, 2007, 01:19 AM
According to a friend of mine this calls for welding a filling in the areas to be restore , then grind it down close to tolerance , then polishing and then reapplication of the blueing / coating . It will coast approximately twice what a Tok normally cost to do this :what: The hard areas are the internal ones apparent , he said its a pain to get in some of those spots with a little dremal to grind n buff them .

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing TT33 imported safety?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!