S&W M&P 9mm first time out

PDA

axeman_g
April 5, 2007, 08:57 PM
Ok, I laid my hands on a new M&P 9mm yesterday. I was looking for a .45 something, but since I could not find anything I just needed to have in the .45 case, I started browsing the other cabinets. I had tried a M&P on for size when they first came out and liked the size and shape, but held off on purchasing. So I picked one up yesterday while looking at a XD and really examined it this time. I liked the low bore axis feel and the slim outline. It feels so much nicer then a Glock 17 in width and feels more balance (TO ME) then a XD. It felt very much like a Steyr M1 I had about 6 years ago that I traded and should not have.
I picked one out of the three 9mm he had that had no mag disconnect and a much better triger then the other two and left home with my first new hand gun in over a year. I took it apart and lubed it up, tried the different grips (went with SMALL) and readied it for the range.

I shoot 100rds of Aquilla 115gr and 100 rds of Fiocchi 115gr. Target was at 15yds. Lets say I was less then stellar in the accuracy department today. I shot barely minute of paper plate. I was mainly testing the guns reliability then accuracy at this time. The recoil was sharp without being too jumpy. Recoil was no worse then my Hipower, and fast follow up shots are very possible. Front sight post is maybe a tad to thick. About the gun itself, it shot without a single hiccup, not even a slight one. One thing I did notice was how cool the shroud felt after firing a clip, for some reason that stuck with me. It was very comfortable to shoot 200rds, not tiring at all.

Thought, I think I will polish the sear and bits to smooth out the trigger some. Maybe some pro trigger work in the future.

Anyway, those are my amateurish thoughts. The guns is so far dead solid reliable, but it's accuracy bites in my hands. I am going to try the larger grip panel, should have brought it with me, but left them at home. Maybe a more solid, "filled in" grip feel will help the accuracy deficiency.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W M&P 9mm first time out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ront
April 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
I have read quite a reports of guys that have had some trigger work done here, http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/ . They have all been very good reports also. I would do it if I had the $$,
You could get more info about this over at the M&P forums, http://mp-pistol.com/boards/ .
I look forward to seeing you there!

Ron

loplop
April 5, 2007, 09:23 PM
It usually takes me a few range sessions to get up to speed on a new pistol. Changing the grip may help, but sometimes some range time helps even more. A little wear will probably smooth things up, too, increasing trigger control.

Enjoy the piece.

SWModel19
April 6, 2007, 04:40 PM
feels more balance (TO ME) then a XDMe too. Some time back, I bought an XD40 (only because I was too impatient to wait for the XD45) but it became a safe queen when I finally got the .45. Then I bought an M&P40. While the XD45 is a keeper, and might even become a CCW piece if I can find a decent holster, the purchase of the M&P40 made the XD40 rather pointless to me. They're both comfortable and they're both reliable. I shoot just a bit better with the M&P than the XD, and quite frankly, the M&P is a sleek firearm while the XD is a blockhead.

In the end, I traded the XD40 for an M&P40c, and I've been very happy with the trade.

tydephan
April 6, 2007, 04:50 PM
If you had waited a couple more weeks, you could have had an M&P AND a .45! Supposedly they are shipping out now!

I have the full size 9mm as well. I love it. Accuracy will come. My first trip to the range was messy too. I shot my little Glock 26 much much better than the M&P at first. I'm much better with the M&P now though.

Congrats on a fine new weapon!

Blackadder
April 6, 2007, 04:51 PM
As a certified "Glock-freak", I find myself strangely attracted to the M&P. A .40 w/ a 357 SIG bbl. may be in the not-to-distant future.

I'm glad to know how functional it is, but I'll be honest and say that (for a polymer pistol) it is a damn fine looking gun. Believe me, I own 9 Glocks, so I know what ugly is.

tydephan
April 6, 2007, 05:04 PM
As a certified "Glock-freak", I find myself strangely attracted to the M&P. A .40 w/ a 357 SIG bbl. may be in the not-to-distant future.

I'm glad to know how functional it is, but I'll be honest and say that (for a polymer pistol) it is a damn fine looking gun. Believe me, I own 9 Glocks, so I know what ugly is.

Consider yourself among friends. I own Glocks (4) and love Glocks.

But the M&P is a damn fine handgun. My G22 hasn't spoken to me since it hit the gunsafe when the M&P was promoted to home defender status.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W M&P 9mm first time out" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!