How do I reattach an AR flash hider?


Steve Smith
June 13, 2003, 10:47 AM
I just snagged a new (to me) pre-ban AR, but the previous owner put some rediculous dingus on the muzzle and lost the flash hider. I want to change it back.

So anyway first of all I have to get this thing off.

#1 Facing the muzzle, which way to the threads go?

#2, to put the FS on, do I need some sort of peel washer? I've heard about this, never seen it.

#3 Do I still need the peel washer if I use the FS without the filled in bottom?

#3 could someone explain how I do this setting the peel washer correctly and how much to tighten the FS?

Now, do you folks have a recommendation of where I can find a FS, peel washer set, and whatever else I need?

Thanks folks.

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I reattach an AR flash hider?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Badger Arms
June 13, 2003, 10:55 AM
The threads on an AR-15 are left-hand-twist. Looking from the muzzle end, you turn counterclockwise to remove. Yes, you need some sort of washer system. What I would suggest is a compression washer. You definitely need a properly sized wrench to do this operation and perhaps a good vice and vice-blocks to grab the barrel or receiver while you install it. The compression washer will allow you to tighten it at least one complete turn after it snugs down. This eliminates the difficult trial-and-error method you have to use with peel washers.

DON'T get the flash supressor which has slots all around. When you fire prone, it will kick up dust, sand, dirt, debris, and everything else into your eyes. BAD.

You can get the parts from DPMS fairly cheap. The parts are: BL-06-A2 and BL-06-CW.

Steve Smith
June 13, 2003, 11:02 AM
What type of compression washer are you thinking of? DISREGARD, a little searching showed me what you were talking about.

Also, what is the wrench for, the flats on the FS? It is a standard size that I will have in a toolbox?

I have the vice covered.

Badger Arms
June 13, 2003, 11:31 AM
You'll need barrel or receiver blocks for the vice. The nut size is standard... 3/4" or something American but one I just take out of my inch set. If you're buying the blocks, FS, and Washer anyhow, you might want to get one of them combination wrenches that will allow you to take off the barrel too if you wanted!

Steve Smith
June 13, 2003, 11:38 AM
Already have access to that. I wonder if I can find this stuff (FS and compression washer) locally and get it done tonight??!!

Thanks man!

Badger Arms
June 13, 2003, 11:40 AM
hehehe, I have the stuff spare around here but that's quite the drive. Trust me, I did it last summer and I'm about to do it again next week.

Steve Smith
June 13, 2003, 11:54 AM
Cool. If you come down CO way give me a shout.

June 13, 2003, 02:22 PM
edited to remove paranoia

Steve Smith
June 13, 2003, 02:25 PM
Came with FH and bayo lug. The previous owner lost the FH for some reason.

Edited to remove paranoia complaint.

Phil in Seattle
June 17, 2003, 12:46 AM
There is a special technique that comes in handy for removing things like muzzle devices and receiver extensions from ARs.
It's called a butt wrench. To properly use you set the rifle on a soft floor, carpeting works great for this, sit your butt down onto the receivers, and apply the wrench to which ever end of the rifle needs it.

This works better for us big fellas then it does the skinny ones. Must be torque multiplier or something. [:D]

If you enjoyed reading about "How do I reattach an AR flash hider?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!