Glock 27 with Pearce extension -WOW

PDA

wiskey lima 2
April 6, 2007, 11:01 AM
Let me tell you about the break-in of my new CCW rig.

All I can say is WOW! My first Glock; a model 27 .40 which I got for LEO pricing of $419 ran without a single hitch last evening! I'm excited and I write this because all other pistols I HAVE EVER OWNED (this is #9 over 15 years) burped at least several times within the first 300 rounds. Some never did come out of sickness hence they were sold. Some would have bad mags, etc. bla, bla. You know.

Anyway, I logged my first range date in the back of the owners manual (I do this with all of my guns) it says: "Break-in, 3-5-07 - 460 rounds - 100%". No Fail to Fire, no Fail to Feed, no stovepipes, no Kb, nothing! This thing went off right out of the gate and did not let up.

I ran 3 loads, all 180 gr. Most were Remington UMC yellow box FMJ, 100 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ and 42 rounds of $peer Gold Dot. The Gold Dot is of course what I elected to carry and try out for function. It's expensive shooting up .85 rounds, but you gotta do it if you want to run it.

I used only 2 mags in continous rotation both with the Pearce PG-2733 +1. I love these because they "wedge" toward the back to maintain stock conceability, but "open" at the grip to give you a pinky rest. Plus they look like they were made for the gun since they have the exact same searations as the front strap.

Groups were not that of any of my 1911's, BUT they were respectable however not very tight. BUT the main point again is the thing is reliable and all but a few hit center mass on a human siluete. After 400 rounds I can make big holes in the paper with my 1911's, but this little pistol (approx. 18 ft.) did not rip out big holes.....just a lot of little ones all over. Sights are good in windage but seem to shoot 3" low at this range. Again, I'm not disapointed. It does what it was designed to do and that's function. I will see this as my primary carry after another 200 or 300 go thru it. (I want to run 20 more of the Gold Dots thru as well, but I got to buy those first).

Although very managable recoil, my strong side plam and loading thumb are sore this morning. But thats alot of shooting for one evening for such a small pistol. Anyway, I'm sold on this gun thus far guys! What say you?

Andy, New happy Glock owner!

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 27 with Pearce extension -WOW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
whitetiger7654
April 6, 2007, 12:00 PM
Congrats I love mine. Just to let you know. The target trigger on mine made my trigger finger sore. So I switched it out with a smooth style trigger from the Glock 22.

MD_Willington
April 6, 2007, 12:32 PM
I have Pearce grip extensions on my PT111, I love'm.

ball3006
April 6, 2007, 01:49 PM
and my extra mags have mag extensions...........chris3

DomMega
April 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
I'm purchasing my first Glock in about 2 weeks or so. I'm deciding between a Glock 19c, a Glock 32c, or a Glock 20c. I already have a .40 XD as well as a Para Ordnance P14 45, so I figured every gun collector should own a minimum of at least one Glock and their reliability is legendary.

However this is one of the first instances I've heard where one needed to be "broken in" haha. From what every Glock owner has ever told me, they function perfectly right out of the box, hence then name "Glock Perfection."

Lastly, I noticed that it's a bit more difficult to shoot tight groups with a sub compact weapon. The barrel is shorter and with a shorter barrel you're sacrificing accuracy for size. If I pull out my P14 Para, I'll hit everything I aim at with dead accuracy, no problems. If I move to a 4" service weapon I notice they're still very accurate but not AS accurate as something in a 5" barrel.

So that being the case, a sub compact should be considered a pretty close range offensive weapon. They're small weapons that pack a punch and are extremely easy to carry, thats about it. It will serve its purpose as you said in protecting your life, everything else tends to be secondary.

P.S.-I'm a little jealous of CCW holders seeing I live in Los Angeles and trying to attain one is like trying to find a mormon in a strip club.

countryrebel
April 7, 2007, 12:48 AM
I had a Glock 27 and still regret selling it,I was more accurate with it than my 23c.

possum
April 7, 2007, 01:05 AM
congrats i am glad that you like it, and that it did well for you. i have the .40 xd sc and the perce grip extenstion was the first thing i bought for mine and it is a great add on to the 9rd mags.

wiskey lima 2
April 7, 2007, 02:39 AM
Yes, the XD's are very nice. In fact I almost bought one, but being a firefighter in Arizona with a CCW permit, I can buy LEO pricing (at certain gun shops only) and the Springfield is not an LEO gun here in AZ, so I had to go with the Glock if I wanted $125 under common retail. I still may wind up geting an XD for home use someday. Plus I had the luxury of "test driving" a friends Glock 27 last month that sold me on this great carry gun.

I currently CCW a Colt Defender .45 that I bought new in 1999 and has 1800+ rounds thru it now and I trust with 230 gr. Golden Sabers and Wilson Combat mags, but is heavier than the 27 and the grip safe has always dug into my side.....I carry CCW at 3:00 o'clock on my hip IWB.

Anyway, I sometimes have to leave the gun in the truck (bars or beer served establishments, which I like beer :) and I could not stand to have an $800 1911 ripped off from my truck...a $419 Glock I could bare to loose, but a trusty high $$$ 1911......no way. The Colt will go to the safe with the others I'm sure once I get a few more rounds thru the Glock. :rolleyes:

pablo45
April 7, 2007, 03:04 AM
Question: Have you ever fired a g26? I am wondering what the differece is between the recoil in the two before i make my choice. I have the g22 and g19. One of them need a little brother I think. Congrat's on the new member. Hope you enjoy.:)

wiskey lima 2
April 7, 2007, 12:02 PM
No I dont know the recoil diff. between the 26 and the 27. This is my first and only Glock (for now). A co-worker of mine has the 26 and says its felt recoil is minimal. However, I believe the 27 has low recoil too.

Someone else here would have to answer that question.

Bottom line for me was I wanted a CCW/defensive gun that began with the number 4 in it's caliber.

pablo45
April 8, 2007, 03:05 AM
Yes sir, I do not blame you. That 4 makes alot of difference. I just want one for defense as a back up and something I can shoot good. The glock 26 I shot was actually not too bad but I was accurate enough with with it. I am wondering if I can get the same reasonable results with the .40 s&w. Thanks bud.

nipprdog
April 8, 2007, 08:00 AM
The target trigger on mine made my trigger finger sore.

Target trigger??????

JMusic
April 8, 2007, 11:36 AM
Recoil difference between the 26 and 27 can be considerable dependent on bullet weight. I carried a 27 for about 10 years and recently sold it and purchased a 26. The 27 was quite a bit snappier. Accuracy with both weapons however is outstanding. I really don't consider the 26 or 27 as a sub compact. In fact my 26 will shoot almost as well as my 17.

Jim

pablo45
April 9, 2007, 08:25 PM
Thanks jmusic that was nicely put. I guess now i just have to decide on where to get my next toy?

fespo276
April 9, 2007, 09:39 PM
I just bought this gun, too. My particular model has a green frame (for fun) and Trijicon night sites. :D I also threw on some Pearce +1's, which turns my "9" rounds mags into 9 round mags (if you know what I mean). I have only shot it once. I am as accurate with it as my G23. I don't mind the recoil at all, as I regularly shot a SW 640 for years. I plan on putting a couple hundred rounds through it this weekend so I feel I have "earned" the right to carry it (proficiency, reliability, etc.) I will tell you, compared to the G23, that missing inch or so off the barrel length, and off the grip length, makes a big difference in my IWB. When I sit with my G23, it seems the barrel hits the bottom of seat, and the bottom the the grip hits the back of the seat. The 27 does not hit in either direction. Very excited about this gun.

wiskey lima 2
April 9, 2007, 10:44 PM
QUOTE: I also threw on some Pearce +1's, which turns my "9" rounds mags into 9 round mags (if you know what I mean).

...I know exactly what you mean. To get 9 rounds out of a 9 round mag you have to purchase the extension. So I too have "9 round mags".

I might add that I posted the thread with Pearce in the body of the post so others in the future could search "glock 27 pearce" and hopefully mine would come up with the rest of them. Before buying this pistol, I did several Google searches like this because I read more negitives than positives on the grip extension thing and I wanted everyones thoughts/experience with them. I, as you all know now, I did not have any Fail To Feeds with the 2 I have.

I am planing on going back to the range on the 13th, Friday the 13th, for a another round with this pistol. I will post what I find on my next range visit.....Hell if anything is going to go wrong with the G27, it will happen on Friday the 13th!!!!!

9x19
April 9, 2007, 11:28 PM
Although I have them on all three, the Pearce base-plates really help to control the 27 and 33 for follow-up shots. The 26 needs them the least as it has the least recoil by a good margin.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/G261.jpg

glockman19
April 10, 2007, 02:00 AM
I like the Pearce extenders on my Glock 26 I have one for each mag.. Better grip better grouping. I think the Glock 9mm line is the best made 34, 17, 19, 26. Glocks were made for 9mm. That said I like the Glock .40's but they all have a little more snap than I like.

My problem is the shells are ejecting back into my face making followup shots difficult as I dodge the shells. I've actually had them burn my eye & eyelid as tehy come back and hit me. anyone else have this issue? I'm going to change the extractor and see if it helps.

GARY1911A1
April 10, 2007, 08:41 AM
Agree with you glockman19. Anything that allows me to get more of the meat of my hand on a short grip pistol like the 26 is a good thing.

Storm
April 10, 2007, 10:21 AM
When I buy a Glock or a new Glock magazine the first thing that I do is buy Pearce (or Scherer) grip extensions. I use the plus zeros as my goal is increased grip and not increased magazine capacity. More than a few have reported relaibility problems that can be pinned on the use of "plus one" and "plus two" extenders (not with the plus zeros). If reliability problems arise first go back to the factory floorplate and see if things are better.

The new 26/27/33 extra large plus zero is perfect on my 33. Magpul also makes a unique extension for 9mm and .40 Glocks that I'm trying out.

CountGlockula
April 10, 2007, 01:49 PM
That's great news Andy!!! Congrats on discovering the "Dark Side".

I'm sure you'll be more proficient with your new G27 as time goes by.

I currently have the big brother: model G35 and getting the whole .40S&W Glock family.

Keep enjoying your new G27 buddy!

Slvr Surfr
April 10, 2007, 02:23 PM
If I could conceal my G35 like my 27 Id carry it instead! Its a bit much for IWB!!! :uhoh:

DirksterG30
April 10, 2007, 03:11 PM
Congrats on the new shooter, Andy, and welcome to the High Road.

wiskey lima 2
April 13, 2007, 06:23 PM
Alright guys, as promised, here is the results of my second trip to the range:

4-13-07, 270 rounds, 100%

All I can say is wow again!

This is now a total of 730 rounds with 100% reliability.

Today I shot 50 rounds of some weird brand I got in a blue box that I think was called Premium? 100 rounds of Winchester White Box,100 rounds of Remington Yellow Box and 20 Speer Gold Dot. All 180 grain.

As before, all rounds feed via 2 Pearce +1 mags.

This thing eats everything I have feed it, 4 different ammo combos so far.

I am very happy with this pistol. Again, I have never had a pistol go this far without at least one hitch. I'm impressed.:)

CountGlockula
April 13, 2007, 06:47 PM
That's great to hear!!!

HK23BEACH
April 14, 2007, 12:08 AM
I would appreciate all info on a GLOCK GREEN 27 NEW!!!!It really seems nice!price too!! Total 475.00 includes taxes complete 2 mags case etc. Fixed sights.I guess the only reason I have never bought one is the safety factor!
Appreciate all imput.Could be my First GLOCK!

nitesite
April 14, 2007, 12:43 PM
I have a Pearce +0 extension on my 10mm G29 magazines, as I'm perfectly content with ten rounds carried in the gun and 9-rounds in the extra mags. It's my CCW piece 98% of the time.

The Pearce extensions make a world of difference!!!!!!!

AZGlock13
April 14, 2007, 03:02 PM
+1 on what everyone has said about Pearce mag pinkie grip floor plate extensions. I use the +0 ones on all my G26, G27, G29 and G30 mags (and now on my new-to-me XD-9sc's mags). I hate having my shooting hand's pinkie either dangling or having to curl it up under the mag when shooting. I also get a much better positive grip when unholstering/drawing my sub-compact pistols from their IWB holsters with the Pearce grip extensions on.

elprofeloco
April 15, 2007, 03:44 PM
Yet another for "pinkie" mag extensions; seems unanimous so far, for short-grip pistols.

I have (+0) mag extensions on my Taurus PT111, Bersa Thunder .380 (ext. came std.), and KelTec P3AT; all these have short pistol grips (as did my Walther PPK).

I've tried shooting all these with and without the mag extension, and there is a definite significant improvement for me WITH mag extensions on these pistols with shorter grips (especially the KelTec P3AT).

Sure, the effect of a mag extension will vary with the weapon and the shooter (hands); but I'd bet that many would see an improvement with the addition of a mag extension on a shorter pistol grip. (If the pistol grip and one's hands enable a full, pinkie-included, grip, then a mag extension is likely not needed).

One slight note of caution: it is possible to cause some mag extensions to break loose (thus spilling all the rounds in the mag) by an accidental impact blow on the mag extension in a given direction - not likely, but remotely possible on some.

copper4262
April 15, 2007, 04:13 PM
Awsom Thread!!! The glock 27 is by far one of the best "little" guns money can buy - sadly i sold mine awhile back and have regretted it ever since. I have never been a glock fan and have never found a glock(other then the 27) that I liked well enough to keep. Now that I have changed jobs I am no longer required to carry a glock every day, I have just sold off my last tupperware wonder - do they work - sure - do i like em - no (Im going to work for a Dept. that allows me to carry a 1911 - so Kimber here I come!! )But honestly - to all those considering a CCW gun I would instantly reccomend the Glock 27 - Its easy to carry and fun to shoot. Not to mention I always shot better with my 27 then I did the full size duty gun(Im not sure why but most of the guys I worked with found they also shot best with the 27 over the 22) I dont have good things to say about the other glocks -but the 27 is AWSOME!! I put a grip extender on mine and carried it IWB and it was easy to carry all day and I never felt outgunned - not to mention there are a ton of 15rnd .40 mags out there for the G22 that can be slapped into the 27 if you need more rounds during a firefight - also - if you have the 22 the 27 makes a great backup gun - its even small enough to carry in an ankle rig or some other out of the way place - Anyway - to all those considering it -- Go out and get a 27 as soon as possible - im saving up again to do just that!!!

Sir Aardvark
April 16, 2007, 02:42 AM
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but...

If you use a grip extension to increase magazine capacity for your self-defense or CCW handgun, you might want to be aware of the following:

Fully loaded magazines with grip extensions will sometimes come apart if you were to drop them onto the ground from about waist level.
Let's say that you are doing a combat reload with a fresh mag and you fumble it and it drops to the ground - the bottom of the mag could pop off and spew its contents all over the place, leaving you in a lurch.

My friend had grip extensions on two of his Glock mags and after accidently dropping one on his garage floor, he found this out. Both of his modified mags would do this and he even demonstrated it to me.

DHart
April 16, 2007, 01:05 PM
I love the grip extensions on my G29 mags....

http://www.legendportraits.com/Images/Guns/G29_L4363.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 27 with Pearce extension -WOW" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!