What gun in Firecreeek (Jimmy Stuart)?

PDA

steveracer
April 8, 2007, 09:32 AM
In the end of Firecreek, starring Jimmy Stewart, there's a gunfight in the streets of the town, and JS's character has a revolver in hand that from it's outward appearance, it's another SAA, but then he opens the cylinder like a double action revelver, and loads it and sings it shut again. What is this gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "What gun in Firecreeek (Jimmy Stuart)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TN Trapper
April 8, 2007, 10:31 AM
steveracer, I was also curious as to what type of revolver Johnny Cobb was using. That movie includes a favorite line of mine, "The day a man wakes up and decides not to face the world is the day he'd better step out of it". A true classic.

Ron James
April 8, 2007, 12:00 PM
The first time this thread came up I posted that it looked like a period S&W. Recently I had someone taped the movie for me and lo and behold Jimmy is useing a revolver that never was. Yes he's using a double action revolver alright, with a Colt Single Action ejector glued on to give it a profile of a single action. You've gotta love those special effects guys.

Jim Watson
April 8, 2007, 12:18 PM
Yes, Stembridge rentals and studio prop departments would fake up DA revolvers to look sort'a like SAAs for ease of use by non-enthusiast actors.

The basic approach was to just hang an ejector rod housing and maybe a SAA style front sight on a Colt or S&W DA. I have seen pictures of the next step in mockups with the butt altered to "plowhandle" SAA shape so as to look right in the holster. There were a lot of DAs and even SAAs with a web added under the barrel to resemble an 1875 Remington, too.

Steve C
April 8, 2007, 03:52 PM
Movies often do not show a consistant firearm. The actor will be shooting a double action revolver one scene and whe next camera angle will be holding a single action. Often the continuity director doesn't think such things are important. There are plenty of technical mistakes and its kind of fun to notice them. It is after all, fiction and a story about people, not their guns or equipment.

Leanwolf
April 8, 2007, 06:21 PM
JIM WATSON - "Yes, Stembridge rentals and studio prop departments would fake up DA revolvers to look sort'a like SAAs for ease of use by non-enthusiast actors."

Yep... although I would add that it was mainly to enhance the action of firing very, very rapidly with a single action.

I.E., in SHANE, Alan Ladd used a "tricked out" double action revolver in the final shootout with Walter Jack Palance at Grafton's Saloon, in order to get the rapid shots off for camera.

Alan Ladd was a shooter and hunter, in real life... but he nor any other actor could fire a single action fast enough to "look good" on camera.

Stembridge's gunsmiths could do just about anything with firearms for film. :)

FWIW.

L.W.

Jim Watson
April 8, 2007, 07:21 PM
but he nor any other actor could fire a single action fast enough to "look good" on camera

Sammy Davis, Jr. could. He was a high level fast draw shooter. Didn't look the part of the typical westerner, though. There were/are a few other actors who could make a real sixgun run. Hugh O'Brian reportedly learned how to really handle a gun for 'Wyatt Earp.'

Sistema1927
April 8, 2007, 07:36 PM
S-T-E-W-A-R-T.

Leanwolf
April 8, 2007, 08:07 PM
JIM WATSON - "Sammy Davis, Jr. could. He was a high level fast draw shooter. Didn't look the part of the typical westerner, though. There were/are a few other actors who could make a real sixgun run. Hugh O'Brian reportedly learned how to really handle a gun for 'Wyatt Earp.'"

Well. Jim, as long as you're bringing up those guys, in Hollywood, NOT ONE of those guys could "shade" Jerry Lewis. He was faster on the draw than any of them.

Funny story about Hugh O'Brien. He was always bragging about how he could beat anyone, and would sometimes bet this or that actor $100 he could beat them. And he did beat several of them.

Once, he got on Audie Murphy's case, bragging he could beat Murphy. Murphy said okay, let's do it.... but let's bet $5,000.00... and we use real ammunition.

O'Brien did not take the bet. :uhoh:

L.W.

hksw
April 8, 2007, 08:32 PM
I was watching Firecreek too but jumped in half way into the movie. Thought that was odd too with the swing out cylinder but I was guessing that possibly they said something in the first part of the movie I missed alluding to it possibly as being a 'new fangled gun'. It was pretty wierd that it had the nearly full length ejector rod shroud.

It's curious that if they did want to fool the audience into believing that it was a traditional SA revolver that they show Stewert's character load it a few time by swinging out the cylinder.

steveracer
April 8, 2007, 09:34 PM
Corrected.

Jim Watson
April 8, 2007, 09:48 PM
I figure they just wanted him to have something to do with his hands while delivering dialog. Don't learn too much firearms expertise from the movies.

DrLaw
April 8, 2007, 11:59 PM
Flipping around the channels tonight, I came across the sled chase scene in the Shirley Temple (don't laugh) movie "Heidi". A Swiss police officer was holding a Colt SAA as he was riding his horse and threatening to shoot.

(Which leads to another thought of Uh-huh, you are going to shoot at the driver and risk hitting the little girl in order to save the little girl?)

The Doc is out now. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "What gun in Firecreeek (Jimmy Stuart)?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!