Tennessee carry permit.

PDA

Im283
April 8, 2007, 10:00 PM
Can anyone tell me what is involved in the shooting qualification part of getting a carry permit in TN?

Please say if you are a TN resident, I dunno but maybe qualification is different from state to state.

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Tennessee carry permit." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
amprecon
April 8, 2007, 11:04 PM
The shooting part consists of shooting your firearm at a standard pistol target at different ranges up to and including 15yds(?) under the instructor's supervision. Yes, I am a TN resident.

Im283
April 8, 2007, 11:14 PM
How is it scored, what do you have to do to pass:confused:

Can you go into more detail about the whole thing?

I do not go until June 9 but I am curious and would prefer to not pester the man in charge if possible.

bpsig
April 9, 2007, 02:58 AM
the basic qualification is 300 pts =100 max score value
Which depending on your area or election year of the local Da or some defense attourney will cause you problems . Saying your shooting perfect you should have / could have shot to wound . etc hollywood bs pay attention to laws and be sure of your reason to us your carry gun. Must shoot I believe 70 % or around 210 pts etc. Basic is 5 rds a time fire reload fire then move next stage. at various ranges from 3 - 25 yds, until 50 rds expended. , reload
The point value is scored from hits in center to outside of black outline. Point value lowers by the location of the entry holes if you going to take a 44 mag pick up a few boxes of 44 special and practice with them , Also take them easier to qualify . Similiar for 357-38 etc in auto 22lr or 9mm/ 40. /45acp ball ammo will due but practice with whatever you carry before put in you weapon to see if it works.
Depending on the weapon your choice to carry it should be no problem to shoot out center with most good quality arms today if you use the sights or have a set placed on your chosen carry gun. Stick with a major manufacturer on brand of weapon generally will be ready to go out of box . Pocket calibers 22-25-32-380- are that will put hole in something and can stop someone but it may annoy or take a while depending on where it impacts. 9mm minimal caliber 38 special. autos generally easier to shoot but depends upon your skill set. Minimal break in is 250 rds to have general idea if going to work. Even new guns may not work so if you buy one try it out remember your ear muffs / glasses.
Night sights are worth it.
And then wait on state of Tenn, Send all forms in certified and return recept. To prove you did enclude all paperwork.
I have had my permit for about 13 yrs now. It took me about 9 months to get my okay back, It took even longer for other permits . Now is less than 2 months now or easier.

Im283
April 9, 2007, 11:39 AM
What kind of target is used? Is is a grid type target like for typical practice or is it a body silhouette <sp>? I know I need to continue practicing and knowing the target type would be helpful. I have been practicing with grid target mostly from 10 to 15 yards of distance. Sometimes i shoot well, other times not so much. I will adjust my practice to the distances you have said.
The confirmation letter i got stated that 48 rounds were required for completing the shooting test, but I could bring two 50 rounds boxes of ammo if I wished. Dunno what that is for but maybe i will get to use the facility after qualifying.

I do not take the class and test until early June. There are a lot of classes offered around here that I could take any weekend but I am taking it through the County Sherriff's regional training center. Their classes are limited due to the fact that they use the facility for their practice. It was hard to get into and costs a little more but I was assured that it is the best out there and worth the wait. I am hopeful I will pass and also hopeful that they offer other training courses as well.

Thanks for the info you are very helpful.

rchernandez
April 9, 2007, 11:58 AM
Took the safety class at RangeUSA.com a few years back.

Test portion, conducted in an indoor range, is shot distances of 3, 7 and 15 yards. You shoot 48 rounds (based on 6-shot revolver course). Target used is the TQ-19.

6x @ 3-yards, one shot at a time;
6x @ 3-yards;
6x @ 7-yards; again, one shot at a time
6x @ 7-yards;
6x @ 15-yards;
6x @ 7-yards; finally,
6x @ 3-yards.

Passing is a score of 70%.

Oops, I believe there is another 6-shots at 3-yards at the end...early signs of alz...what was I saying?

marshall3
April 9, 2007, 12:01 PM
I took my class in Chattanooga. Here's my target.

http://www.mouseguns.com/permit/target.jpg

It was easy to shoot a good score. Only a few shots at the farther distance.

Carl N. Brown
April 9, 2007, 12:31 PM
Our target was basicly a green colored version of the
typical cop range silhouette with the center of mass
(COM) in white. Same size but not as elaborate as the
generic "FBI" target. Fifty shots at various ranges,
loading five at a time, 35 out of fifty COM "kill zone"
hits to qualify.

This handgun does not have to be your intended carry gun.
While a number of folks qualified with the Ruger Mark II .22
I figured I ought to qualify with my Auto Ordnance 1911 .45.
It does pay to practice with the gun you intend to qualify with.

The classes to get certified as eligible to make application
for handgun carry permit include:
4 hours on the laws on self-defense and a written exam
4 hours on firearms safety and pass a written exam
and a qualifying score on the firing range
all under the supervision of a state-certified instructor.
Cost about $75.00

You must use the certificate within six months else you
must re-take the course and get re-certified before you
can file a application for handgun carry permit.

Under the Tennessee state constitution, the citizens
have the right to keep and bear arms for defense of themselves.
The state reserves the power to regulate the wearing of
arms in public with a view to prevent crime only. This means that
carrying a gun outside your home or in public for defense is a
privilege requiring a permit, while there is an "absolute right" as
one judge put it to have a gun at home for defense. Also,
the state law on "going armed" does not limit the ordinary
uses of guns, such as hunting, protecting livestock, target
practice, etc. (This is unlike the NY Sullivan Act which has been
interpreted to restrict handgun possession to self-defense
ending the special target shooters license in NYC.)

Personally I think the self-defense law and handgun safety classes
ought to be in the public schools.

Im283
April 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
Thanks so much for the replies.

After reading these posts, especially Carl's and RCH's I feel fairly confident I can pass with a higher score than 70%. I am definetely going to continue practicing though.

Like I stated earlier I mostly practice at 10 and 15 yards. At that range I pretty much hit where I am aiming 70% of the shots. I have never shot at 3 or 5 yards and am very curious now as to how well I might do with that.

Thanks again you all have eased my mind considerably.

I wish June was tomorrow. I hope I do well enough to exercise my 2nd ammendment rights.

redbearde
April 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
When I took my permit class, no one failed.

We had to shoot 48 rounds, and 33 of them had to be in the dark part of the paper.

12 @ 3 yards
12 @ 5 yards
12 @ 7 yards
6 @ 15 yards
and 6 @ the instructor's discretion (which could even be 2 yards)

The instructors offered a prize to anyone who could get a perfect score, and no one got it, but if you have even the smallest understanding of how to aim properly, and you have a decent pistol, then you will have ZERO trouble actually passing the shooting "test".

Just think of it as recess with a box of ammo.

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Tennessee carry permit." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!