F.I.E. Titan .25ACP?

PDA

Joe Link
April 9, 2007, 04:07 AM
My dad found two of his guns he hid from us kids back when we were young (15+ years ago, I guess he hid them very well and forgot where they were). One of them is this little pocket auto, which looks like it's made by a company called F.I.E.? I assume Titan is the model name, and it's chambered in .25ACP.

I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about these guns. I've never heard of the company and can't seem to find much information. I'd really like to know how to take the gun down so I can clean it, as the slide is extremely stiff.

http://www.northwestpolitics.com/images/FIE%20Titan%2025ACP%20001.JPG

http://www.northwestpolitics.com/images/FIE%20Titan%2025ACP%20002.JPG

If you enjoyed reading about "F.I.E. Titan .25ACP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
April 9, 2007, 05:27 AM
In compliance with THR rules, I won't bash the F.I.E. Titan .25 auto; but
rather just leave it like this- an inexpensive firearm that may or may not
work most of the time~! :uhoh: :scrutiny: :eek:

Put it in your collection, and forget about it.

lee n. field
April 9, 2007, 09:14 AM
Made by Tanfoglio. They come in steel and aluminum frame versions.

There's one around here somewhere, technically my daughter's. I put a box of ammo through it once, with no failures, so it's not Jennings grade crappy.

Zero_DgZ
April 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
It's a Saturday night special, but believe it or not it's one of the better ones. I owned one for a while. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and it was way too expensive to feed versus a .22... But it looked cool - mine was exactly the same as yours, chromed with the fake pearl grips and in nicer shape than your example - And against all expectations it went bang every time.

It would start to stovepipe those little tiny casings beginning about the last magazine out of a box of 50 rounds... What's that, 6 magazines worth? 7? To clean it, pull the slide fully to the rear and then up. It may take some coercion... When I first got my example I didn't think it came apart at all, until someone else came along and put the requisite elbow grease into it to muscle the slide off. You can clean it without disassembly by removing the grips and applying a can of brake cleaner, also...

And if you take your mag(s) apart, grind about 1/8" off of the legs on the bottom of the followers for a quick and dirty +1 mod that doesn't seem to affect the reliability of the gun any. Numrich still had mags for these things when last I checked, about two years ago.

MJZZZ
April 9, 2007, 10:47 AM
That gun brings back memories. I had one of those 25 years ago, I didn't trust it then and wouldn't trust it now. Mike

Zero_DgZ
April 9, 2007, 11:01 AM
I should clarify that I wouldn't trust it because of the gun but because it's a .25 ACP. In a self defense situation, you may as well stick that bullet in a straw and blow.

Joe Link
April 9, 2007, 08:37 PM
Hmm, I'm still not able to get it apart no matter how hard I try. I just pull the slide all the way back and pull up?

DomMega
April 9, 2007, 09:09 PM
I saw one of those blow up in a kid's hand in the desert once. Like everyone is pretty much saying, its fine if you want to clean it up and put it in your collection but if you're looking to attain self-protection from it I would look elsewhere......and fast.

Joe Link
April 10, 2007, 01:36 AM
Yeah I'm definitely not planning on using this for protection. I don't know if someone with a ton of adrenaline and/or drugs would even notice they got shot with a .25 caliber pistol, let alone the fact that as you guys said this is of questionable quality. Do you guys think it'd be alright to plink with occasionally?

DomMega
April 10, 2007, 06:16 AM
Just about anything is alright to plink with occasionally. Just make sure the internals are in decent functioning order because like I said, these guns are notorious for blowing up in your hand. That's a lot of shrapnel going into your hand and possibly your face, not pretty. So just do some really good maintenance on it before taking it out for a shoot and you should be ok. Bad things happen when they're neglected.

engineer88
April 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
Wow, I really have to disagree with this being a POS or any such. I just bought one today and it is a solid, seemingly well made little pistol. Is it a .45acp, heck no. Is it a neatly designed little pistol, heck ya!

I will be shooting it in a couple of days and see how reliable it is, but I like 'em! :)

NG VI
April 25, 2009, 10:00 PM
Anyone else find the name "Titan" ironic?

turkeythigh
April 25, 2009, 11:02 PM
i may have found a resource for you to strip it down
http://kaiservontexas.blogspot.com/2008/02/fie-corp-titan-25acp-11.html

turkeythigh
April 25, 2009, 11:04 PM
i may have found the tear down info you were asking about.

turkeythigh
April 25, 2009, 11:05 PM
i may have found the tear down info you were asking about.

MCgunner
April 26, 2009, 02:09 PM
In compliance with THR rules, I won't bash the F.I.E. Titan .25 auto

THR rules prohibit brand bashing? Why am I having to constantly defend my Taurus revolvers if such is the case? :rolleyes:

Actually, a lot of those little zinc alloy .25s worked rather well. Might not be exactly what I'd call accurate (side of a barn accurate if inside the barn), but I even had an RG Mod. 26, .25 auto that fed reliably and always went bang. I no longer have it, sold it, but it served its purpose. It was the only gun I ever had to defend myself with. I didn't have to actually fire it, the sight of it ended the mugging attempt, but hey, it saved me from an armed robber. He'd brought a knife to a gun fight.

Yep, I agree, there are far better choices now days. Of course, concealed carry is legal in Texas now and I no longer have to think about tossing the gun in the bay.:uhoh: Yeah, that might not be "high road" but when the government steps on your civil rights, right to self defense, you gotta do what you gotta do. GW Bush finally made me a law abiding citizen.

Cowboybootnut
April 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
If your town ever has a gun buy-back, the F.I.E. Titan would be a great gun to turn in, then use the money you get for it to buy a better gun........:neener:

mljdeckard
April 26, 2009, 08:26 PM
I giggle a little bit at hearing the word "Titan" used in the same sentence as .25 acp. I hate the .25 just as bad as everyone else in here, particularly the one who recommended blowing it through a straw. (I'm going to use that one in the future.) It's very effective if you can get the bad guy to hold still so that you can put it in the BG's nostril long enough to shoot him.

HAVING SAID THAT, If you got it for free, and you're not relying on it as a defensive gun, clean it up a little and have fun. F.I.E guns aren't terrible, I've had a Nylon 66 F.I.E. knockoff for 25 years that's been great.

jackstinson
April 27, 2009, 10:46 AM
I have the F.I.E. Titan and the QFI SA-25 version....both function flawlessly. The Titan is one of the most reliable inexpensive .25acp's ever made.

Dr.Rob
April 27, 2009, 12:24 PM
I have one, and its currently the only firearm I have not fired in my safe. Need to change that.

ilbob
April 27, 2009, 12:28 PM
once a long time ago, a guy had one at a range and he let me shoot it. i was unimpressed, but was able to hit a paper target set out maybe 10 feet away without too much trouble. i didn't have any problems getting it to shoot.

TIMC
April 27, 2009, 03:59 PM
I have had one of the little Tanfoglio 25's for many years. I don't shoot it much, sometimes years between range time but it always goes bang. I have never had an issue with it. I think it is a nice little pocket pistol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/TanfogliomodGT-27.jpg?t=1240858583

Cannonball888
April 27, 2009, 04:05 PM
Tanfoglio Titans are NOT a POS. Yes, they are inexpensive but they are really well-made using gun steel and no pot metal. My Titan II .380 is my longest-owned gun and it has never malfunctioned even once. BTW, FIE was the big importer for Tanfoglio until they became defunct and EAA took over.

http://herohog.com/images/guns/TitanII380.jpg

geologist
April 27, 2009, 04:06 PM
It looks like an Astra Cub.

Gunfighter123
April 27, 2009, 04:57 PM
I had a Titan many years ago --- it started to GO BANG when I chambered a round EVEN with the safety on !!!

Now , some will say it was a problem with the firing pin being "stuck" out ----- I don't think so.

I used it in a Chicago "buy back" program and got $90 if I remember right. I do remember I paid $70 for it brand new.

Dr.Rob
April 27, 2009, 06:39 PM
I think the grip frame is aluminum, not zinc, but it sure wears fast.

inheritor
April 28, 2009, 02:01 AM
i have one my wife loves it they are very easy to pocket carry yuo can fit them into a large cell phone case to.to remove the slide pull back like you were chambering a load at the farthest point pull back and up at the same time and it sholud come off as you ease it forward be carefull not to let the spring go flying.mine is very reliable havent expierienced any jams or miss fires.good luck

Farb
November 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
Let's bring this thread back. . .

I was 'gifted' a Quality Firearm, Inc. SA 25 some time around 1994-95. Keeping with THR tradition, this thing shoots .5 M.O.A at 1,000 feet. OK, maybe not as I've never shot it! It's been sitting in my closet all these years and now that I'm more involved in screwing up guns that (may) work, I ask. . .

What should I do with this thing? I'm interested it making it a project gun. It looks like it's coated with lacquer with a brown finish underneath. It's a bear to break down as the slide really, really does not want to slide far enough back to release said slide. Either way, what would all those that frequent THR do?

MICHAEL T
November 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
Made by Tanfoglio They have made a lot of good guns I have a Titan They are not Junk Is it the quality of my Beretta 950BS no but not a Zinc wonder either . Lots of people including Police have been killed by 25 auto It will in ball ammo go 13 to 16+ inches in the Jell That meets FBI min. numbers. I had a 25 on me one night and the sight of gun was enough for the would be robber to beat feet.
Don't, insult a Titan by comparing with a Jennings or such.

vellocet
November 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
I had a chrome f.i.e single .22 revolver with a mag cylinder many years ago. I always wondered who made it. I learn so much from this site.

Pyro
November 22, 2011, 09:16 PM
Wow this is an old thread.
My Titan .25 I actually carry. Small, light, and goes pop pop pop when you need it to.
The parts are made in Italy and the frame is made in America..I think. The quality is far better than a Jennings. Carry it condition 1 too, only goes pop pop when you pull the trigger.

tranders
November 23, 2011, 09:07 PM
If anyone is still curious to field strip- engage safety, pull slide to rear and lift up back of slide off of frame and slide off the front of frame.

The Titan I have belonged to my Grandfather. Haven't shot it yet,but might remedy that soon.

Farb
November 23, 2011, 09:58 PM
So what can I do to improve the appearance of this piece? Or should I just leave it alone?

tranders
November 23, 2011, 10:55 PM
Sorry,I'm not much help. Mine is ugly also,but have no problem taking slide off.

On mine, the safety must be on or the slide will not release from frame.

ditnoj
December 29, 2011, 03:03 PM
Hello.
I just got one of these from my dad. This one is marked Titan Mfg. Corp Miami Fla.
When taking down you have to also cock the hammer, if you hadn't tried that.

Pyro
December 29, 2011, 03:09 PM
The FIE Titan E27b is essentially a Tanfoglio GT27 isn't it?

Joe Link
February 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Wow, that was quite the thread resurrection! To this day I still haven't fired this gun. I was concerned with the safety of it so I made sure there were 50 miles between the gun and our only magazine, which I found in a move this weekend :)

GCBurner
February 17, 2012, 12:20 PM
Wow, that was quite the thread resurrection! To this day I still haven't fired this gun. I was concerned with the safety of it so I made sure there were 50 miles between the gun and our only magazine, which I found in a move this weekend :)
You started the thread in 2007, and as of 2012 you still haven't at least tried it out? They're safe enough, as far as being unlikely to come apart when fired. The barrrel and slide are solid machined steel, made in Italy by people who know what they're doing. As far as being a safe gun to CARRY, I wouldn't trust the half-cock notch on the hammer not to break if dropped or hit too hard, and I'm not sure the manual safety blocks the firing pin, so I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a round in the chamber. The fixed barrel shoots the .25 ACP more accurately than you'd think, but I still think of mine as more of a range toy than a serious defensive gun.

tranders
February 17, 2012, 01:07 PM
Shot mine a few weeks ago. Kinda surprised how well it did shoot for such a tiny pistol. I could keep all rounds in the chest area of man sized target at 7 yards fairly easily. Only problem I had was keeping my fat hand out of the slide. lol

Won't shoot it much due to the ridiculous price of 25acp ammo.

jdietz
February 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
I bought one brand new for $35.00. I still have it and carry it from time to time. Across the room a 9" pie plate is easy to hit.

It tears down easy, is very concealable, and the safety is NOT dependable at all. Carry it with the hammer down. Knocked it off the dresser one time and about shot myself in the ankle.

Joe Link
February 17, 2012, 05:19 PM
You started the thread in 2007, and as of 2012 you still haven't at least tried it out? They're safe enough, as far as being unlikely to come apart when fired. The barrrel and slide are solid machined steel, made in Italy by people who know what they're doing. As far as being a safe gun to CARRY, I wouldn't trust the half-cock notch on the hammer not to break if dropped or hit too hard, and I'm not sure the manual safety blocks the firing pin, so I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a round in the chamber. The fixed barrel shoots the .25 ACP more accurately than you'd think, but I still think of mine as more of a range toy than a serious defensive gun.
Thanks for the reassurance! I'll take it out soon.

Tomcat47
March 17, 2012, 03:47 PM
I suspect that the frames one assumes to be Aluminum on the Titan .25 is actually "zinc"........ or is it "up to" or "after" a certain serial number is "zinc" / "potmetal"??

which brought me to the conclusion: in SC...I need to keep it out of my vehicle and in safe, and take it back to NC put in dads safe!

I traded a hand held tool box for it about 20 some years ago. Just always went bang, never a hiccup...knew it was cheap and invaluable, but solid built at same time.

So better to keep it! :)

dcarch
March 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
Wow, this thread has been around a long time...

lil dragon
March 18, 2012, 09:31 PM
Wow. And I thought I was the only one to own one of these. Mine was my grandfather's. It shoots every time I pull the trigger...even with the safety on! Its expensive to play with, but definitely fun.

GARMASTERS
March 25, 2014, 08:43 PM
Bought one in 1978. Has gone bang every time ( except with some defective Sellier & Bellot ammo). I found mine to be amazingly accurate (shooting shotgun shell boxes at 25 yards). Has been my pocket carry gun for 35 years. And it can "take a swim" if it ever needs to.

AnthemBassMan
March 25, 2014, 09:18 PM
-I'll add to the old thread resurrection. I still have my Titan 25 that I bought used probably back around '90-'92. It's one of the later ones before FIE went out of business. From what I understand, the better models were still stamped Made In Italy. Took it to the range about 6 weeks ago along with my new S&W SD40 VE. Still had most of a box of Made In USA .25acp ammo left from years ago! The ol' .25 is a little rough, but still goes bang with every pull of the trigger. Here's my not so good target from that trip. It was only about 15-20 feet away, but this little gun did ok. If you can see it, that is two mags worth of shots. 14 shots total. Sorry for the bad pic, but I used my not so smart phone...

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/AnthemBassMan/0222141708_zpsf138aa61.jpg

L8R,
Matt

Kiln
March 25, 2014, 10:06 PM
The Titan was made in both steel frame/slide versions and zamak frame/slide versions. The earlier guns were all steel and the later versions were zamak. The ones with zamak slides are known for slide failures up front where the slide is very thin. They are decent guns but are plagued by the cheap mags that often require adjustment to get them to feed correctly. Adjusting the mag to feed properly requires test firing and may require several mags, which can cost you $20 or so because of the pricey ammo.

The Titan 2 pistols were chambered in .32acp and .380acp. They were all steel but were known for frame cracks, fragile firing pins, and safety lever issues. They were however fairly reliable but being SAO and medium sized limits their usefulness as a carry weapon in modern times.

Carl N. Brown
March 25, 2014, 10:42 PM
FIE Miami, Florida was a firearms importer active back up to 1990. F.I.E. stood for Firearms Import/Export and were importers of Arminius revolvers (German I believe) and Italian Titan automatic pistols, mostly known for the .25 ACP that looked kinda like a Beretta (it was made by Tanfoglio). They went out of business in 1990. I believe they also imported cheap Italian black powder replicas and a clone of the Nylon 66 made by Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos (CBC) in Brazil on equipment bought from Remington.

AnthemBassMan
March 26, 2014, 05:01 AM
-I remember that Nylon 66 clone, now that you mention it. I also had an FIE single shot, 20 ga. shotgun that I could have bought an extra barrel chambered for .30-.30.

L8R,
Matt

TanklessPro
March 28, 2014, 12:49 AM
I have my grandfathers that is stainless. I have shot it several times and has been flawless. You would think a 25 would be a breeze to shoot but recoil is stout.
I doubt I will ever sell it just because it was my grandfathers.

MedWheeler
March 28, 2014, 02:17 AM
This thread has a surprising number of resurrections, probably more than any other I've seen. I won't even call it a "zombie thread" because a zombie dies at least once. :D

To stay on thread-topic, though, those guns are neat. Wish I could see one in the flesh..

Waveski
March 28, 2014, 10:01 AM
(... its currently the only firearm I have not fired in my safe...)

Firing a gun in your safe must scare the heck out of your pets!

If you enjoyed reading about "F.I.E. Titan .25ACP?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!