Green Machine question.

PDA

Jersey Devil
April 9, 2007, 06:39 AM
I have a RCBS Green Machine and loading .38 Sp. I just bought swaged hollow base WC. A roll crimp is on the machine. The crimped bullets won't chamber in my Python but will in a S&W. There's a slight diff. in dia. where the roll crimps on the bullet. The seater won't seat flush. I bent/broke the seat assembly rod.

My ques. is will a taper crimp solve my problem? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

jb

If you enjoyed reading about "Green Machine question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ol` Joe
April 9, 2007, 07:33 AM
You might be over crimping, it doesn`t take much. Try crimping just enough to fold the case mouth into the crimp grove in the bullet. The case will buldge behind the crimp if over done and might be part of your problem. You may also be crimping before the seater has finished seating the bullet. The die should be adjusted to seat the bullet without a crimp and then turn the body down minus the seater until you get the amount of crimp you need. Reinsert the seater with the cartridge in it until the seater contacts the bullet and lock everything down. I alway crimp as a seperate step as it is easier for me to get everything adjusted right this way.

Jersey Devil
April 9, 2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks Joe. Part of my problem is that there is no crimp groove in these swaged bullets. One stage seats the bullet and the next stage crimps. Maybe over crimping or under crimping? I'm looking to find a taper crimp. Perhaps that will solve it. The bullet won't seat deep enough to crimp over the top. I broke the assembly trying I think. I think the bullet stopped on the powder charge and the pressure made the assembly break. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Great site.

Ol` Joe
April 9, 2007, 09:44 AM
Both Speer and Hornady, if I`m not mistaken, recommend seating their WC bullet flush. They also agree both roll and taper crimps will work when doing this. These are swagged soft lead bullets and don`t have a any grooves so I would guess the same would apply to the bullet you are useing. It is strange though the bullet won`t seat deep enough. What powder charge are you useing? The data I remember seeing for this type bullet has always been very light, say bullseye or Red Dot at ~3gr or so.

Jersey Devil
April 9, 2007, 10:40 AM
I was under crimping. That problem is solved. I'm using a light load, 2.7 (I think), Bullseye. I'll measure the depth to see if there's enough room or if I have another problem. This machine was a gift and I'm just getting used to it. I've broken several pieces already. RCBS stopped making it because of such problems but still service it. I think I'll change the Dillon over for .38's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Green Machine question." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!