Need Help With Colts. Delta 10mm & Commander 38 Super

PDA

DogBonz
April 9, 2007, 11:43 AM
So, Saturday old Bonz and Mrs. Bonz took a little trip to the local “toy store” to dispose of some hard earned cash. I had decided on a wheel gun so I was standing at the counter trying to decide between a Blue 6” GP100 and a Ruger single action4.5” 45 colt, when Mrs. Bonz said, “Oh honey, look at this” I walked over and she was pointing at a beautiful, early Colt Commander in 38 Super and right next to it was a spotless Colt Delta 10mm in stainless steel. Now I only have 1 permit left. What to do?

Can I put a 45 slide and barrel on a Delta 10mm frame? Will it fit? Also what would be a fair price for the Delta and for the Commander?

Thank you in advance,

Fred

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help With Colts. Delta 10mm & Commander 38 Super" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tbu61
April 9, 2007, 12:01 PM
Ain't life grand in Jersey? (I grew up there).

Shame you have to make a decision like that when other commodities are far more dangerous, (Cars, Smoking, Alcohol...)

Personally, I would spring for the Delta unless the Commander is pristine.
I haven't tried my Delta Goldcup with .45, but did put a slide/barrel on it once. Everything fits fine. I believe that you do have to change the Ejector and of course springs too. You can also get a .22 kit for even more versatility. I am sure that someone else here can answer that question.

Delta's seem to be popping up on Gunsamerica in the $900-1,000 range.

.38 Commanders can be considerably more $$$, (or less) depending on vintage and condition. They do have the nostalgia factor to consider too.

Not exactly sure which one is more scarce, but it seems demand for the Delta is higher. Collectors will probably be looking for a Commander first.

The 10MM round is really stomping, but you gotta reload if you want to afford to shoot either. Both calibers are equally easy to find brass, but the 10MM has a better selection of Lead on the market.

my 2 cents
tbu

DogBonz
April 9, 2007, 12:09 PM
I do reload, so I would just have to pick up a set of dies.

The other thing is that I have heard of the frame cracking on the Deltas. Is there anything that I should look out for?

Thanks again,

Fred

TexasRifleman
April 9, 2007, 01:00 PM
The other thing is that I have heard of the frame cracking on the Deltas.

Some of the VERY early BLUED Deltas had some frame cracking around but those should all be long gone by now. The stainless models never had that issue.

As for putting a .45 "upper" on a Delta, that cannot be done. The frames are different sizes.

DogBonz
April 9, 2007, 01:02 PM
That's exactly what I was looking for.

Fred.

DHart
April 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
I'd take a close look at that Delta and if it is nice that would be my choice!

10mm is an awesome caliber and Deltas are great, reliable guns... getting harder to find as time goes by also. And, yes, to really be able to take good advantage of 10mm you should reload... then you ca n tailor make loads ranging from mild 40 in potency right on up to very potent hunting loads... my favorite 10mm loadings are scaled back somewhat from max. I like the 175 gr. Silvertip and 180 gr. Golden Saber moving along at about 1200 fps... very potent, but a little easier on the gun and the shooter than the max loads.

http://www.legendportraits.com/Images/Guns/Delta2916.jpg

surjimmy
April 9, 2007, 02:07 PM
Delta all the way, if not just to put it up for investment reason's. If u change your mind and want to go blue there's a D.Elite custom by Ed Brown at randgfirearms.com(shameless plug for a friend) for under $1000.00. Let me know what u think of his web site. DHart great looking pistol.

Chad
April 9, 2007, 08:19 PM
The other thing is that I have heard of the frame cracking on the Deltas. Is there anything that I should look out for?
No...early production problem that went away easily.
I've seen a lot a Deltas...kinda a hobby...and have never seen one without the cutout in the rail that fixed the original problem.

My philosophy is to never pass up a Delta for a good price.
They are still stolen now and then for $500-$700.

Tbu61
April 10, 2007, 03:18 AM
Frames cracking?
Yeah, I heard that too. My Stainless DGC has about 1,500 rounds through it and shows no appreciable signs of wear. I load some STIFF 185 (MAX loads).
There is NO WAY you can compare them to a .45.... period! More like a super hot .357

I haven't had any issues, besides most of my brass going into orbit. I have heard that it's a good idea to replace the buffer (every 1000 rounds?) and I am going to do that very soon.

I just tried the 45/10 swap and like before... the slide fit, I just had to change out the ejector, that was a 3 minute job. As far as shooting is is concerned... I would ask a Colt Rep. about that.

Get the Carbide dies. Brass is available on E-bay... 10MM/40 lead abounds, even in the Garden State. My DGC prefers 165 grains and up... lighter springs would probably accommodate 155's

tbu

pinotguy
April 11, 2007, 12:55 AM
Holy cow, this is a tough choice. These are two of the greatest 1911 platform/caliber pairings of all time. In all seriousness - are both out of the question? At the end of the day, I'd probably opt for the DE.

It would be relatively difficult in converting the Delta to .45 ACP - probably more headaches than it's worth. In addition to the ejector, you'd need a new extractor, slide stop, and possibly a firing pin/firing pin stop. Factory DE's came with a standard, non-ramped barrel so the feed ramp on the frame would be smaller which could pose some problems with feeding the larger round.

only1asterisk
April 11, 2007, 01:53 AM
beautiful, early Colt Commander in 38 Super

Like there's a choice...

David

HorseSoldier
April 11, 2007, 12:52 PM
Now I only have 1 permit left. What to do?

Immigrate from New Jersey to America? ;)

I think I'd go with the 38 Super of those two choices.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need Help With Colts. Delta 10mm & Commander 38 Super" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!