Looking for info on 1st autoloader

PDA

bullockcm
April 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
**1st, I know almost nothing about handguns, my experience to date has been shooting 2 .44 mag Ruger Blackhawks.(5 shots from each, owners both left the last hole empty to see if I flinched) I have never even handled or seen any sort of autoloading pistol up close.

My long term plan is to have 2 sets of pistol + carbine chambered for the same ammunition. I have decided to go with 44mag for one, revolver will be either a Ruger or S&W single action and the carbine will be a Marlin 1894SS.

That was the easy part I think...

The primary function for the autoloading tandem will be fun/plinking use, for this reason I think 9mm will best suit my purpose although mag capacity and possibly less recoil are the only advantages I see over .40S&W.

Since there are fewer carbines than pistols I have started by looking at them. As of now I have settled on the Kel-Tec Sub2000, main reason being its ability to foldup would allow me to carry it easily on a motorcycle. I live in the country and my "range" is an open field a couple of miles from home, riding there on my dual sport is much more fun than taking the truck! Anyway the Sub2000 can be purchase to share magazine with the following:

Glock 17
S&W 59
Beretta 92
Sig 226

I will at least handle if not shoot all of them before I buy since some may not fit me or just feel wrong however what can you tell me about the four? Things such as price, features in common or unique to the model, ease of maintenence, things they do good or bad? Concealled carry isn't an issue in this case. Price is a factor but not the primary factor.

Thanks, for your time and help.
Mitch

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for info on 1st autoloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ny32182
April 10, 2007, 01:34 PM
I'm not familiar with the S&W you have listed, but I am familiar with the other three, and I think any of them would make a fine first autoloading pistol.

Glock 17: cheaper than the others, very durable, DAO trigger at ~5.5lb stock. Easy to find, and reasonably cheap 17rd factory mags. 33rd factory mags available. Easy to field strip and clean. With the factory barrel, can't shoot lead bullets. Its already ugly, so you probably won't care much if it gets a scratch/ding or two. Different-than-normal grip angle. Probably the lightest of the bunch. Best finish of the bunch.

S&W: If it is a full size all stainless 9mm you are looking at, the following probably applies (if its attributes are similiar to my 1006): It will probably be the heaviest of the bunch. Built very tough. Not sure about the mag situation. Hardest of the bunch to field strip. DA/SA trigger, with slightly gritty takeup... probably not as nice as the SIG or Beretta triggers.

Sig 226: Very nice pistol, but most expensive of the bunch. Nice DA/SA trigger right out of the box, and only gets better with use. Factory mags are 15rd and fairly expensive. Quality aftermarket 17rd are available. Factory 20rd are available. Easy to field strip and clean. Nice Nitron finish on the SS slide, with anodized alloy frame. Available in many factory configurations.

Beretta 92: Nice pistol currently in use by the US military. Factory mags are 15rd. I'm not sure on their cost. Pistol is priced between the Glock and Sig. Easy to field strip and clean. It is the only one of the bunch with an open top slide, which keeps the top end light, but some say allows debris to get inside too easily. Available in a number of factory configurations.

All four should be accurate and reliable as long as the shooter does his job. Best recommendation, as you stated, is to at least handle and dry fire all of them before making a decision. Since you intend this specifically to share mags with a carbine, that will probably give the Glock a bit of an advantage out of the gate since the factory mag situation is best of the bunch, especially considering that good factory 33rd mags are readily available.

Hope this helps, -ny

CountGlockula
April 10, 2007, 01:53 PM
I'd recommend taking a basic handgun class, once completed, then you can choose those ones on your list more effectively.

RevolvingCylinder
April 10, 2007, 02:24 PM
Best all around wondernine is the CZ-75. I found it to be the most accurate and ergonomic wondernine with an excellent trigger and price.

Black Majik
April 10, 2007, 04:32 PM
bullock,

The 4 firearms you've listed are very good, though I don't have much experience with S&W autos. From what I know and seen they're built pretty much "like a tank."

The Glock, Beretta and SIG all have their different characteristics that can sway you one way or another. All three are durable, reliable and accurate.

But don't stop your seach there, check out some other fine 9mm autos such as the CZ75, XD-9, S&W M&P, USP, and P2000.

There are a LOT of awesome 9mm pistols out there. Go handle and shoot a bunch of them before making your decision.

btw, +1 on a NRA handgun class.

RNB65
April 10, 2007, 04:40 PM
One of the many variants of the CZ 75/P01/SP01 needs to be on any shortlist of 9mm range/plinking guns.

bestseller92
April 10, 2007, 07:50 PM
I'd go with the Glock 17.

FXWG
April 10, 2007, 09:06 PM
My long term plan is to have 2 sets of pistol + carbine chambered for the same ammunition. I have decided to go with 44mag for one, revolver will be either a Ruger or S&W single action and the carbine will be a Marlin 1894SS.

Personally, I would go for a .45 LC pair rather than a .44 Mag pair.
I've owned Blackhawks in .357(.38 Spl), .44 Mag(.44 Spl) and .45 LC,
and the .45 LC was the most enjoyable to shoot out of that bunch.
JMHO, YMMV.

izmarkie
April 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
Just don't let anyone tell you what you should carry. You should go out and try to rent all the ones you listed, and see what you think first hand. At least spend some time at a couple of well stocked gun stores that are excited to help you pick a handgun that fits you. You may find yourself buying something completely different.

Of those four, I would definitely get the Sig.

gandog56
April 10, 2007, 11:44 PM
#1 on the above. I live near a range that pretty much rents about every pistol they sell there for 10 bucks a whack. It's one quick way to decide which gun fits you best.

PPGMD
April 10, 2007, 11:54 PM
I would go for the Sig 226 out of that list. Glocks are good, though I'm not a big fan personally, the Beretta is rather nice gun, and has a nice laser that goes in the recoil spring.

Like the Glocks I'm not a big fan of S&W autoloaders except the M&P's.

surjimmy
April 11, 2007, 12:53 AM
Are u going to use any for self defence? If u are and I maybe out of line but with your lack of experience with handguns I would get a revolver. That is until u get some practice under your belt. Maybe a 357mag that way u can also shoot 38's.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for info on 1st autoloader" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!