Q for those that carry a Makarov

PDA

Trempel
April 10, 2007, 03:54 PM
What ammo do you carry in it? What holster? What made you choose either one? :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Q for those that carry a Makarov" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jonnyc
April 10, 2007, 04:20 PM
Barnaul 95 grain JHP; cheap, accurate, reliable, good speed.

Milt Sparks IWB; not outrageously expensive, comfortable, holds the Mak perfectly.

jon_in_wv
April 10, 2007, 05:37 PM
I usually carried the Hornady XTPs and carried it in a JIT slide holster in the summer and a Fobus paddle in the winter.

I chose the XTPs because they were the only hollowpoints available in this area other than the 115gr Silver bear which made the slide slap the frame a bit for my taste. I shot some water jugs with the xtps and they hit pretty hard for what they are.

Trempel
April 10, 2007, 09:00 PM
Jonny,

Which Milt Sparks IWB? How was their turn around after you ordered?

Mak Maven
April 10, 2007, 09:16 PM
Barnaul HP or Brown Bear HP.
Nemesis for my cz 82, altho too big for pocket carry.

jonnyc
April 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
Sorry Trempel, but I don't remember the model name. It has the higher protective back, double-changeable belt loop, smooth horsehide, internal sight rail. A step or two above the Summer Special. I paid about $65 10 or 12 years ago. I got it in about 5 or 6 weeks, IIRC. I still use it when a HP is too much, but a P32 is too little.

HorseSoldier
April 11, 2007, 11:45 AM
Hornady XTPs seem to work well in mine.

Don't have holster issues, I only use it as a truck/glove compartment gun when I'm headed somewhere where CCW is prohibited and it's in a location where I don't feel good about leaving a more expensive firearm in my car. (No disrespect meant to the Mak -- mine runs reliably, is accurate, and recoil is mild for a blowback gun from all that steel.)

steveracer
April 11, 2007, 12:28 PM
In the TAKMAK with a Galco IWB for Colt officer's model.
(Pics of the TAKMAK coming soon. Just got it back from it's recent surgery)

nathan
April 11, 2007, 01:18 PM
Barnaul 95 gr HP in my Russian mak. Blade Tech UCH .

dasmi
April 11, 2007, 01:19 PM
Barnaul 95gr HP, Fobus paddle holster.

joneb
April 11, 2007, 02:46 PM
Fiochhi 95gr fmj , IWB

Trempel
April 11, 2007, 06:43 PM
Jibjab, interesting choice. Why the Fiochi FMJ? If going with an FMJ, than why not S&B, Barnaul, Silver Bear, etc? My thought would be to feed it what's more commonly available. Is Fiochi any different from other ball ammo?

Richard
April 11, 2007, 07:30 PM
I have some older Corbon but if I didn't I would still look at Corbon offerings. Regards, Richard:D

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/images/pbproduct.gif

alamo
April 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
I have some older Corbon but if I didn't I would still look at Corbon offerings. Regards, Richard

I use those as well for carry. I stocked up a few years back when Cor-Bon discontinued 9x18. I am slowing shooting them up though and will be out after a while.

nwilliams
April 11, 2007, 07:54 PM
I carry a Russian Makarov with Don Hume IWB holster. As for ammo I carry Hornady HP 9x18.

At first it wouldn't feed HP, but with a round file and a couple minutes of light work I had the feed ramp modified and now it feeds HP fine. Oh and thanks to the THR members who informed me on how to fix that problem:D Before that I carried S&B in it which I felt pretty secure with. Personally when it comes to carrying I like HP and Hornady makes a fine round.

The holster wasn't designed for a Makarov but I find that it fits it perfectly. This is the only gun I've ever owned that I can carry IWB without issue.

If you enjoyed reading about "Q for those that carry a Makarov" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!