anyone ever had a problem with an xd

PDA

Tinmancr
April 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
I might be getting a security job which requires me to get a smaller gun..
.44 is too heavy they say?
Well I got an xd ok'd and I just wondered if anyone has even heard of a problem with them.
I saw they tend to stovetop if clips are slammed in but I am not an idiot who would slam a plastic gun.
I watched a video of 5 people put 500 round of .45 through 5 guns simultaneously.
So I am guessing it is a good choice.

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone ever had a problem with an xd" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hogfan1911
April 10, 2007, 08:11 PM
Have 2 friends who own 3 between them, no problems of any kind reported. Have fired a couple personally for approx. 100 rounds, no malfuctions. Not the most scientifically relevant sample, but hope it helps!

Hazzard
April 10, 2007, 08:14 PM
I have an XD45 that I've fired many thousands of rounds through without so much as a hiccup when using 230gr RN ammo. It does not like semi-wadcutters, though. It is accurate and really a pleasure to shoot. Several of my range buddies also have them in various calibers and report similar results. I went through nearly 2000 rounds between cleanings and still no failures to feed or fire.

Ala Dan
What? a stovepipe caused by driving home (fully seating) a magazine~?
That seems too be a problem that doesn't exist, as stovepipes are not
caused from improper insertion of a magazine; but rather from failures
to extract/eject.

Tinmancr
personal exp is better in my opinion thanks

Ndenway
I carried an XD40 service model since 04', no problems aside from the slide rusting, I've fired over 8k through it,

only jams that have occured have happened twice with lead reloads, no failures have occured with any jacketed rounds.

Tinmancr
April 10, 2007, 08:17 PM
maybe used wrong word could have sworn was what agi said,
clip was slammed to simulate anxious combat reload if slammed hard the top round unseats and is set vertical.
Which would be a mild failure probably but hey failure is failure

Ala Dan
April 10, 2007, 08:20 PM
I have "combat reloaded" various handguns many times, under varying
circumstances but NEVER encountered a round coming ajar and standing
up in the breech. Thats a new one on me~! :uhoh: :eek: :scrutiny:

Tinmancr
April 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
My ruger mkiii 22/45 does it really easy because of the new clip style,
I can't find my video to check wording but he friggin' slammed it.
And of course they used demilled ammo I imagine that is a factor

XD Fan
April 10, 2007, 08:30 PM
2500 -3000 rounds through my XD9. Nary a misfeed. One failure to fire, but I have chalked that up to a bad round. Sold it though. Bought an XD 45. Got about 250 rounds through it. Lovin life so far. Has shot all the hardball and JHPs that I have put through. Really accurate with Remington Golden Sabre 230 gr. JHP.

Hazzard
April 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
I haven't had the "round unseating" problem in mine and I'm not exactly gentle with it when I change mags. Sounds like the feed lips on the one he was using may have been spread a bit, but I'm no gunsmith. I have 4 mags and all of them hold the rounds securly.

Catsailor
April 10, 2007, 08:43 PM
I havent experenced any problems with my xd45. Granted its only two weeks old with 300 rounds through it but it was able to fire 4 (bad) rounds that misfired from my friends High Point. :neener:

Tinmancr
April 10, 2007, 08:51 PM
yeah and the gun did still loaded the first few times and then jammed later on also gotta be bad for the feed ramp my .22 was much more serious.
it is a s&w m&p problem but I don't care for their autos

physics
April 10, 2007, 09:28 PM
I have an XD45, and I've had a problem. For one, the slide likes to lock back mid-clip, which tends to make me nervous, and then there's the resultant failure to feed that has occurred twice now, right after the slide locked back. After one lock back, I looked down on the ground, and there was a casing with a tear in it. As I am more familiar with rifles, (This is my first handgun) I'm not sure if this could be caused by my grip or not, although I have made sure to not hit the slide release while firing. I am actually sending this one back to SA to get fixed. At least they have good customer service.

Gameface_XD
April 10, 2007, 09:45 PM
Here's a post from one of the other XD threads.

I bought an XD-40 in 2002 and I shot 800 rds without any issues, then I started getting PSL (premature slide-lock) where the slide would lock back when there were still rounds in the mag. It would only happen once in about 200 rds but it really broke my heart. I was absolutely in love with the thing up until that point and it went from a gun I would have trusted my life to, to a gun that I hardly wanted to take to the range anymore.

I tried working with SA, even sending the gun back, but they didn't fix the problem. I bought an aftermarket guide rod and springs. I convinced myself that I was limp-wristing, but even with a concerted effort to not limp-wrist the problem persisted. Finally, I filed down the slide-lock lever because I had seen evidence from another XD-40 owner that the rounds were rubbing the lever as they fed through the mag. My PSL problem went away, but now I had a problem with the slide not locking back when the mag was empty (only with some mags), and those same mags would not drop freely when empty and I pressed the release button.

The whole experience is sort of like the hottest girl in school wanted to do me, then after a few months of the most intense lust ever I find out I've got the clap and she's seeing the whole football team behind my back. Then after we work things out she's like a limp fish and we just sort of drift apart. So what do I do? Well I date her sister of course. Just bought a XD-9 SC. Only 250rds so far, but the love might be back.

Tinmancr
April 10, 2007, 09:59 PM
I would personally blame the .40 it is really low power according to ballistics
why didn't they go with 10mm auto it rocks.
thanks again for all the help guys

FXWG
April 10, 2007, 10:01 PM
Have an XD-40 and have had no problems feeding
FMJ, LRN, SWC... knock on wood.

Tinmancr
April 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
my mkiii 22/45 jammed finally after 625 650 rounds 5 people have fired it all kinds of ammo.
if I could I'd pack that .22s plenty for me the way I shoot it

gudel
April 10, 2007, 10:07 PM
I've experienced some feeding failures on my XD40. I don't remember the round count but it was less than 800 at the time. I sold it after that.

Redhat
April 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
Nope,

XD45 runs like a top:D

Redhat
April 10, 2007, 10:12 PM
Nope,

XD45 runs like a top. Excellent gun far exceeding the price asked IMHO:D

Oops! Double Post

tango3065
April 10, 2007, 10:25 PM
One of my friends had his grip safety spring break in the first couple of hundred rounds.

browningguy
April 10, 2007, 11:12 PM
Mine has been perfect so far, about 8 weeks of IDPA shooting plus practice on weekends. So probablyonly 1200 rounds or so.

possum
April 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
i hav two xd's and i love them, they are great guns. i have the service .40 and the sc .40, yes the .40 service did break but that isn't gonna hold me back from buying more or continuing to own more in the future. i love sa and i love the xd line-up.

distra
April 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
No trouble here. I have an XD45 with ~1000rds and XD9 with ~500 rds.

Lonestar
April 10, 2007, 11:29 PM
Two friends own 3 between them. One guy had some issues and is getting rid of it. I think it had FTE issues. the other guy has two, shoots them alot and loves them. If you can pick whatever you want, I would go to a range and shoot one, along with some other offerings, since Glock, Beretta PX4 and S&W MP are in the same price range.

USAFA06STX
April 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
I had my rear sight come loose on my XD9 Service after about 550 rounds which Springfield fixed with about a week turn around.

DAVE RICHARDS
April 11, 2007, 11:00 PM
I had problems with my first XD9 with extraction issues. After a couple of times back to the factory with them not being able to fix it they sent me a new gun. I've had wonderful experiences with SA customer service. if it's broke they will fix it or get a new one to you. New ones been 100% through about 2000 rounds.

defjon
April 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
Well...the honest answer is no, no problems with the gun.

HOWEVER- when I first bought (the XD .45) I took it outside and was going to just hand cycle some rounds through it. It was too dark to go shooting just then, but generally I think it a bad idea to hand cycle indoors! Anyway, it didn't seem to reliably eject WWB .45! I got quite panicked and assumed I had a lemon. I also couldn't figure out the diassembly :banghead: I KNOW I KNOW! It is so freaking simple a caveman could do it. I just wasn't use to pulling a trigger to disassemble! I figured it out and now it takes .2 seconds to strip it lol.

The moral of the story is I decided to try shooting the gun before sending it to springfield. Glad I did...ran flawlessly through 200 rounds and ate the center of the target 30 ft away. Recoil? Psh. Not hardly.

I am selling it tho. Platform just ain't for me. I am selling off all my polymer and going to steel guns that have manuel safeties. Just a preference thing! It would serve you well, though. Infact, go buy mine! I got 3 factory hi-caps with it!

velojym
April 12, 2007, 02:25 PM
XD45, no problems, but it's only got a few hundred rounds through it so far.

osteodoc08
April 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
I have a XD-40 V10 that I've put many rounds through. It ran flawlessly for 1500 rounds or so when I was getting a few light primer strikes. I contributed it to a few things. The biggest factor was that the striker indicator had flaking chrome coming off the end of it and was impeding the movement of the firing pin. I guess if I had taken it apart more than just a field strip, I wouldn't have had the problem.

I emailed S-A with pics of the striker indicator and they sent me new one. No problems since.

I prefer my Kimber CDP for SD, however, I'm thinking of selling my XD-40 and going with the newer XD45.

Fun2Shoot
April 12, 2007, 08:39 PM
Neither of my 2 XD's (sub 9mm or 4" 9mm) ever had a failure of any kind in thousands of rds of use with any & all ammos.

deltacharlie
April 12, 2007, 08:43 PM
2 service and 1 sub-compact all in 40SW.

One of the service models was fubar outta the box. Sent it back to Springfield-Armory and got back an amazing piece!! The other 2 have been flawless. In fact, the sub-compact is the most accurate of the lot, IMO.

Really enjoy them.

If you enjoyed reading about "anyone ever had a problem with an xd" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!