Ballistic gelatin test results : Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri

PDA

Brass Fetcher
April 11, 2007, 01:56 AM
Cartridge : 20gr Aguila Colibri and 20 gr Super Colibri

Firearm : Recoil-operated rifle with 18.5" barrel

Calibration : All depths corrected (From 10.4cm @ 573 ft/sec)

Shot 1 - 20gr Super Colibri. Impacted at 481 ft/sec, penetrated to 5.6". Recovered diameter was 0.221".

Shot 2 - 20gr Colibri. Impacted at 333 ft/sec, penetrated to 4.5". Recovered diameter was 0.221".
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=56372&stc=1&d=1176267238

Shots fired from 6' distance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic gelatin test results : Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
chris in va
April 11, 2007, 03:18 AM
I love these gelatin tests. Those Colibri's are primer fired, correct? Pretty good for no powder.

joneb
April 11, 2007, 04:10 AM
Why did shot #1 @ 481 ft/sec penetrate 4.5", and shot #2 @ 333 ft/sec penetrate 5.6" :confused:
And why does the block show the two slugs at 6 and 7" into the block ?

loplop
April 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
Not sure about the penetration differences, I would guess the "faster" one would penetrate more if it didn't expand (and it didn't). Maybe not?

The depths are corrected, based upon the calibration shot (BB).

Double Naught Spy
April 11, 2007, 10:27 AM
Yes, the faster bullet penetrating less does not make sense.

I seem to recall that Colibri suggests NOT firing these rounds from rifles because of the possibility of squibs not leaving the barrel. Interesting that it was a recoil operated rifle with an 18.5" barrel. Colibris usually won't cycle semi-auto guns.

sansone
April 11, 2007, 10:38 AM
I think the super has a little powder in it but the regular collibre is primer fired. I have not have one jammed in the rifle barrel but prefer the super. cci makes CB ammo which is a little hotter than the super collibre. my wife tried to chase a deer out of her garden with a cci CB and it fell dead instantly from a rear thigh shot. :what: she thought she put a collibre in the gun which bounces off stray cats. I inspected the tiny shallow wound and the bullet fell out of the fur when I rolled the animal.:confused: maybe the deer suffered cardiac arrest or something. I have heard stories of deer running with organs hanging out of their bodies and nobody seems to have a theory on what killed this deer in the wife's vegetables. maybe I shouldn't eat any;)

Brass Fetcher
April 11, 2007, 09:21 PM
All else being equal, the faster bullet will penetrate further. Yes, there is exponentially more drag on the bullet the faster that it goes, but this drag force is not infinite - it might be sizeable, but the faster bullet will still penetrate more deeply due to it's greater momentum.

I have actually gotten these stuck in a .22lr rifle barrel before. Not the one that I used for the tests though - an older (countless thousands of rounds through it) Ruger 10/22 was used.

351 WINCHESTER
April 11, 2007, 10:07 PM
One of us is confused here. The super penetrated less than the regular. Same bullet, but the faster one did not penetrate as deep as the slower one? Common sense dictates that with 2 identical bullets with no expansion, the faster one will out penetrate the slower one every time. Maybe you got it backwards.

Brass Fetcher
April 11, 2007, 10:48 PM
@351WIN - Thanks for that! I have made the corrections to the OP... the Super Colibri did in fact penetrate further.

hqmhqm
April 11, 2007, 11:56 PM
I have had colibri get stuck in the barrel of a rifle a couple of times.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic gelatin test results : Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!