Ammo Storage

PDA

grosland
April 11, 2007, 09:28 AM
If you were of a mind to store a bunch of ammo for future use, how much would you store and how would you store it?

Would it be better to store powder, primer and projectiles and make it up fresh as needed or would you produce the ammo and store it?

Thanks, grosland

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
April 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
Go to a war surplus store and buy a bunch of ammo cans with the seals still in tact. Load a bunch and store them in the ammo cans. :)

glockman19
April 11, 2007, 10:15 AM
Ammo cans & silica gel.

cdrt
April 11, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ammo cans; cool, dry environment.

Navy Vet & SWIFT Boat OIC

BigSoundRacing
April 11, 2007, 10:49 AM
Good questions here is what I have done.

Im just getting back into reloading and shooting, my mind set is also completely different than it was 15 years ago. Before I had a few collectors pieces and no ammo, now I want functional pieces and enough ammo to get through any situation. I figure that the cost of metals will only go up, brass and copper. Also I feel that if they can not get a ban on the guns, that they will go after the ammo next.

I now have a Dillon 650XL setup for .308. Over the past six months I have acquired the following components:
- 10k Primers
- 5k Sierra 168 Match King HPBT
- 5k Winchester Brass
- Powder for 5k rounds
- 1k Varmit bullets

I have started with 1k brass that will be rotated through my DSA SA58 FAL. The rest of the components will remain sealed in the original packaging, so that I can sell or trade them if the need arises.

Everything is kept in the safe except the Dillon.

Be safe, BSR

scrat
April 11, 2007, 11:20 AM
on the stuff i load im not tooo much concerned. however on other rounds im going to start stocking up big time. i know i can keep some here and some at my parents house. so that will be able to make sure that i do not have a whole bunch in one location.

USSR
April 11, 2007, 11:43 AM
...I want functional pieces and enough ammo to get through any situation. I figure that the cost of metals will only go up, brass and copper. Also I feel that if they can not get a ban on the guns, that they will go after the ammo next.

+1. Actually, what I expect those Congress critters to do is, place a "sin tax" on ammo. It's what they do when they hate something, but don't want to lose the revenue it generates.

Don

ZeSpectre
April 11, 2007, 11:51 AM
ah damn, now you all got me thinking about ammo supplies again.

reppondj
April 11, 2007, 03:14 PM
Good ammo cans and a secure storage area. I have several K that I have stored for quite some time, check on it from time to time and all is still well with it.

Walkalong
April 11, 2007, 04:25 PM
Dang, I just recently gave away 1000 rounds of .223 and 750 rounds of .45 to my nephew. Good thing I have a few more handy.:evil:

db_tanker
April 11, 2007, 05:30 PM
+1 on the ammo cans....get the ones with the best gaskets you can find...then take and put a little silicone grease on the gasket to keep it from hardening.

I prefer the SAW ammo cans as they are a touch bigger than the BMG ammo cans...every little bit helps...PLUS they will be a bit newer than the BMG's.

Hell, if you REALLY want to get anal (gotta watch that phrase...got ragged on for it before:p ) you can get one of those vacuum sealers and do it up like 100 rounds at a time. :D They also make primer sealant if you want to go that far as well.

The ammo cans would be enough.... IMO

If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!