which autoloader would you choose? BHP or M-9

PDA

yongxingfreesty
April 11, 2007, 01:43 PM
if you can only pick one of these two for conceal carry, home defense or just to have.

the beretta m9 or browning hi power, friend of mine had a little bet.

If you enjoyed reading about "which autoloader would you choose? BHP or M-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mpmarty
April 11, 2007, 02:33 PM
Picked the HiPower in deference to JMB. Wouldn't pick either for my personal use. Pistols are so marginal to begin with why burden yourself with less than optimal performance? My hd bedside pistol is an all steel full size Witness 10MM with sixteen WW 175 gr silvertips. My carry gun is a Taurus MilPro PT145 with eleven 185gr Barnes solid copper hollow points.:)

MrDig
April 11, 2007, 02:39 PM
No question in my mind. The Browning Hi-Power and the 1911A1 are the two most copied and most successful designs in Semi-Auto Pistols. Walther is another. Luger was somewhat of a success but not copied like the others. The fact that the 1911, the BHP and the Walther designs are still in production from the original design blue prints is why in my opinion a gun collector should own one of each.
I know I will get a lot of heat for my opinion as I know that 1911 detractors are numerous and vocal, but if you really think about the fact that all the other designs are really just variations on these three themes it makes sense to me.

Brian Williams
April 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
Of the 2, BHP cause it fits my hand and it has worked for so many years.

GrandmasterB
April 11, 2007, 02:59 PM
Both are great, and I have owned both. I sold the Beretta but still have the Hi Power. The Hi Power is much slimmer and easier to carry. The Beretta is large for a 9mm and the grip and ergonomics are not nearly as good as the Hi Power IMHO.

Geno
April 11, 2007, 03:03 PM
I actually had to make this very decision about 1 year back: No shock, I chose the...BHP!

Walkalong
April 11, 2007, 03:06 PM
Highpower. Awesome pistol. Ahead of it's time IMHO. :)

Devonai
April 11, 2007, 03:23 PM
You can't go wrong with either one. I haven't purchased a BHP only because I already own a 92FS and I don't "need" two hi-cap 9x19mm autoloaders.

possum
April 11, 2007, 03:29 PM
neither by choice, but if i had to go with one, i voted beretta because i know the weapon pretty good and really good compared to the hp.

Ala Dan
April 11, 2007, 03:38 PM
BHP

Geronimo45
April 11, 2007, 03:58 PM
Beretta. I've come to like DA/SA pistols quite a bit. Nothing against the BHP - it's just a psychological thing - the trigger down on a loaded chamber 'seems' safer than cocked and locked. And DA makes it easy to do multiple dry fires.

reppondj
April 11, 2007, 04:20 PM
I own a Beretta and love it but the BHP is in the future as soon as the budget allows. Bought the Beretta several years ago to practice with (in the military and shoot military competition, owning your own is easier than checking one from the arms room every day or so) but the BHP is a tried and true design and will definately own one....

Whirlwind06
April 11, 2007, 04:21 PM
Hi-power
Classic design

Run&Shoot
April 11, 2007, 05:52 PM
In a case like this you have to appeal to a higher authority.

Take a deep breath, let it out (repeat as necessary), then calmly contemplate this question:

"What would John Moses Browning do?"

yongxingfreesty
April 11, 2007, 07:42 PM
thanks to everyone who voted! have a nice day!

zachsm
April 11, 2007, 08:42 PM
beretta hands down. classic doesn't mean anything to me.

MD_Willington
April 11, 2007, 08:48 PM
...just like your favorite old pair of jeans, you just love'm...

10-Ring
April 11, 2007, 09:02 PM
I have more rounds through my Beretta 92fs than my BHP but I love both. If it came down to concealed carry...I'd probably go w/ the HP ;)

Texfire
April 11, 2007, 11:58 PM
Since concealed is one of your criteria I voted BHP. I'd even go one further and suggest you look at a FM M95 Detective. Excellent Argentinian clone with a shorter slide and barrel. Same great ergonomics and design. And much cheaper.

Texas Colt
April 12, 2007, 12:08 AM
Another vote for the Hi Power. It's a great design.

I have owned both, but the Beretta is no longer in my stable. It's just too bulky for daily carry.

Eightball
April 12, 2007, 12:26 AM
With the Hi-Power, you can get more grip options; the Pachymer grips fit my hand perfectly, and now I want one :( I need to stop touching guns I cannot afford, it makes me poor :o

yongxingfreesty
April 12, 2007, 03:17 AM
wow. it's a different crowd over on glocktalk

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=684318

friend wanted me to post it on gt, said thr wasnt being fair.

varoadking
April 12, 2007, 06:30 AM
wow. it's a different crowd over on glocktalk

Yeah...only 10 responses - to a completely different question...

Nice to see the BHP get some love - never cared for the Beretta's, personally...

gudel
April 12, 2007, 11:38 AM
I'd get the Beretta. Looks better and it's pretty much very well tested.

Mr White
April 12, 2007, 12:42 PM
No brainer. Hi Power. I have one. I love it. I trust it. I know I can shoot it well.

That said, its my nightstand gun and I rarely carry it. I prefer my Taurus Millennium for CC. Its smaller, lighter and much more concealable. I don't like the trigger but all in all, its not a bad gun.

Johnny Guest
April 12, 2007, 01:15 PM
'Nuff said.

Trempel
April 12, 2007, 01:27 PM
Out of the two, I'd go with a Beretta. I appreciate the classic design of the BHP, but I like DA pistols. Neither would be my first choice though. For a full size, double stack 9mm, I'd pick P226 every time.

HorseSoldier
April 12, 2007, 05:08 PM
High Power Mk III, hands down.

I've seen too many Beretta locking blocks break to trust my safety to an M9 except when under orders to do so.

Litlman
April 12, 2007, 05:33 PM
BHP...

dogtown tom
April 12, 2007, 07:48 PM
Both are fine handguns. But for concealed carry the Hi Power wins hands down.

1. Width? BHP-it's thinner, no not a little bit thinner- MUCH thinner.
2. magazine capacity? TIE! BHP has 13 round as standard, but 15 & 17 rounders are readily available. M9 has 17 round standard.
3. Trigger? if you can't live without a DA semi auto get the HP with SFS. Hammer down to look safer and a consistent SA trigger pull instead of DA/SA.
4. Weight? BHP weighs less
5. Length? BHP is shorter in OA length.

BHPshooter
April 12, 2007, 07:55 PM
Well, even as much as I like the Beretta, I own 3 HPs, and I carry one daily. That should say something. :)

Wes

Whirlwind06
April 13, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'd get the Beretta. Looks better and it's pretty much very well tested.

Looks are relative thing, to each their own.
But I can't see how from a reliability / battle tested stand point there is not much difference between the 2. They both have been "battle tested" and I don't think either have been found lacking.

Mortech
April 13, 2007, 02:22 PM
After playing with both for a while in the military , the BHP is what I have .

Marshall
April 13, 2007, 02:37 PM
BHP

dao
April 13, 2007, 02:49 PM
+1 for dogtown tom.

BHP with SFS kit for me !

Sundles
April 13, 2007, 02:56 PM
BHP MK111

bobbytm
April 13, 2007, 02:57 PM
I votted Beretta;but i like both handguns.

budder
April 13, 2007, 03:27 PM
Without a doubt, the BHP. For me (and everyone I know ;)) it shoots better, feels better, and doesn't have a retarded safety/decocker. It's just a great gun.

Browning
April 13, 2007, 06:22 PM
The Browning HP is my favorite pistol hands down.

Can you tell?

Try comparing them side to side.

In descending order of importance for me.

Size) The BHP is going to be smaller and slimmer than the Beretta. The comforable grip of the BHP is almost legendary. In the US Armed Forces the Beretta on the other hand is often too large to be comfortable use by small statured male or female soldiers. In some units like the Military Police, they used the Sig instead. Because it's slimmer and smaller even if it's only by a little bit, the BHP will still be a little easier to carry.

Caliber) They both come in 9mm or .40 S&W.

Mag Capacity) At 13 +1 with regular FN or Browning mags, in the BHP you'll give up a couple of rounds to the Berettas 15 + 1 mag capacity. There are companies that do sell 15 round mags for the BHP though, so if that's a major consideration for you, there are alot of those out there. CDNN has some 15 round mags for the BHP right now. Since that option's available, it's a tie.

Accuracy) Despite what many on both sides are going to say, it's really about the same.

Reliability) The Beretta 92FS has had some problems over in Iraq, but that wasn't because of the gun itself, that was because of the cheap mags the military went with. They had a crinkle finish and it made the mag bind when combined with sand. Without this problem and with good mags for both, they're both about the same.

They're both good pistols, but I think that the BHP beats the Beretta, even if it's only by slightly. The grip is THAT comfortable, it's slim, it's accurate, it's reliable and it's been around forever so you don't have to worry about finding mags, grips, accessories or holsters for it (the Beretta's the same way for availability of parts, mags and accessories).

surjimmy
April 13, 2007, 07:39 PM
Have owned both, although there's nothing wrong with the Beretta. BHP all the way.

Charles S
April 14, 2007, 12:18 AM
classic doesn't mean anything to me.

I agree, function, ergonomics, reliability and handling are much more important.

That is why I went with the BHP:)

jmabbott888@aol.com
April 14, 2007, 01:19 AM
Inglis Hi Power for me. I still remember the slides on the Beretta when the military first got em at Lejuene, after the slides cracked dad asked for his 1911 back.

briansp82593
April 14, 2007, 01:27 AM
sa/da, decocker,, skilled enough to field strip and reassemble in 30 secs, yup my trusty beretta, who gives about classic, being a classic doesnt mean crap and most hi powers to me just look fugly, ive seen wayy more reliability issues with the bhp than the beretta

Stoney
April 14, 2007, 10:37 AM
BHP
Fits in my hand better then the Beretta, plus I love the way it looks. Can't go wrong with a JMB design.

Coronach
April 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
Is this a trick question? The Beretta has nothing over the BHP, with the exception of the "advantage" of DA/SA. Some people prefer that to a C&L SA. I don't know why anyone would, but some people do. :D

BHP, all the way. The M-9 is not a bad gun, but it just can't hold a candle to the BHP.

Mike

Angus Podgorney
April 14, 2007, 04:34 PM
The Browning Hi-Power and the 1911A1 are the two most copied and most successful designs in Semi-Auto Pistols.

I wouldn't be so sure about that statement. I'm sure the CZ has more copies than the HP.

Northslope Nimrod
April 15, 2007, 02:56 PM
Concealment factor - goes to BHP
Coolness factor - goes to BHP
Simple functionality perfected - goes to BHP
Ergonomics - goes to BHP

What was the other gun we were comparing?:D

BHP wins! Love mine! Has been 100% flawless.

copper4262
April 15, 2007, 04:28 PM
HP's shoot nice and seem to work good - but iv never owned one - i have owned several Berettas and they all worked great(execpt that little .22 that jammed ever other round) so personally i would go with the Beretta - i dont carry one anymore and have long since traded all of mine off - but they were always good dependable guns that are easy to shoot -that would be my pick

April 15, 2007, 05:16 PM
Between those two,the Browning Hi power without a doubt.

Whirlwind06
April 15, 2007, 05:55 PM
Quote:
The Browning Hi-Power and the 1911A1 are the two most copied and most successful designs in Semi-Auto Pistols.
I wouldn't be so sure about that statement. I'm sure the CZ has more copies than the HP.

The underlaying design and and action of the 1911 and the BHP, is pretty much what every non-blow back auto loader is based on.

Janos Dracwlya
April 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
I have little experience with the M9 other than handling them in stores or at shows. That said, I intend to get one eventually.

I do have a BHP, which I bought about a year ago. I intend to eventually start using it for CCW, but I don't have the trigger time in yet with it to where I feel comfortable. Eventually, however, it will take its place with my P-225 (my current primary CCW) and Arsenal Makarov as one of my carry guns.

So I voted for the BHP - it's around the same size as my P-225 - a little longer in the barrel, but not much difference elsewhere.

zachsm
April 15, 2007, 07:21 PM
Quote:classic doesn't mean anything to me.

I agree, function, ergonomics, reliability and handling are much more important.

That is why I went with the BHP

---------------------------------------

those are all opinions like anything else. If all those were better on the bhp for me, then i would perfer the bhp. however thats not the case.

my beretta just died on me recently, and guess what im going to replace it with (well, along with my baby eagle, its going to be an Arcus if i can't get a hold of cdnn's sfs). the beretta i have was given to me for free from a friend. He himself recieved it for 50 bucks after the original owner had put around 150k through it as a training class pistol.

one of the springs is dead and the hammer is stuck in the cocked position after i put about 10 boxes of winchester through it. I'm not sure what the exact count is so far but its between 200-300K. You can see why i have to call BS about the locking blocks for the M9 each and every time its mentioned on THR.

SoCalShooter
April 15, 2007, 07:52 PM
I have had the opportunity at one time or another to shoot both and I would take the BHP.

Risasi
April 15, 2007, 10:30 PM
Another BHP guy.

I intensely dislike (with a passion) the big clunky feel of a Beretta. I answered the poll, and at first was shocked by the lopsided results. But then realized it only makes sense.

If you are considering getting a Hi-Power stay away from the Hungarian PKG's, I had one and it was great for awhile, but after about 5000 rounds I'd shot out the crown. Not very robust. The Argentines aren't bad. The Brownings and FN's are obviously fine guns. I also had a BDM I liked very well.

GroovedG19
April 15, 2007, 10:46 PM
Both are excellent service pistols but I prefer the Beretta 92FS/M9.:cool:

Dr.Rob
April 16, 2007, 02:36 AM
First time I went shopping for a wondernine my top faves were the BHP & Sig 226. Accuracy, ergonomics, etc. were all a part. Price kept me away from the 226 at the time.

As I recall we tried BHP, Sig 226, Ruger P-89, Glock 17, SW 9mm (I forget the exact model 469? It was stainless & double stacked) Beretta 92F, CZ 75.

Beretta was very low on my list. It's a really big handgun in my mitt, don't like da/sa, (though the Sig 226 almost converted me) and the long trigger pull compared to other models I looked at. It just didn't 'fit' me.

If you enjoyed reading about "which autoloader would you choose? BHP or M-9" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!