April 11, 2007, 07:25 PM
Greeting's All-

With all the new hardware available on new SIG's these days, I was just
wondering what flavor (with-without rails, SAS triggers, etc) you like
your SIG's in? I still favor just the standard, old blued West German
SIG's (P220A and P228), without the rails and trigger mechanisms of
today. These world class semi-auto's have worked for me right out of
the box; so I see NO need to change a thing a'bout them~! :scrutiny: ;) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG-SAUER "Classic P-series"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matt King
April 11, 2007, 07:27 PM
The Sig Sauer P228 is a wonderful firearm. It is right up there with my Smith and Wesson 39-2, as my favorite 9mm.

Ala Dan
April 11, 2007, 09:09 PM
Oops~! I posted this thread in the wrong forum; moderators please move
accordingly, sorry for the inconvenience~! :eek: :uhoh: ;)

HammerBite
April 11, 2007, 10:13 PM
No matter which forum you post in, I agree with you about the new SIGs. I have three old ones, all with the old folded slide. Not one thing they have done to change them has been of any interest to me whatsoever.

Doug Add
April 11, 2007, 10:20 PM
KA code P228 on my hip even as I type. Only other one I want would be a matching (or similar W. German) P220. Local shop has one, but they are holding it hostage for an ungodly price.

gandog56
April 12, 2007, 12:26 AM
Just aquired a Bi-Tone P229 with both a .357 Sig and 40 S&W barrels. Love the pistol with either barrel.

nero45acp
April 12, 2007, 06:42 AM
P220 9mm and P225, single-stack 9mm perfection....

nero

loplop
April 12, 2007, 07:57 AM
I'm new to SIGs, so forgive my lack of nostalgia for stamped slides on these newfangled autoloaders (I cut my teeth on 1911's). My SIG P220 Carry Equinox is just as well crafted, operates as flawlessly, and even groups a bit better than my W. German SIG P228.

My P239, IIRC of 2005 manufacture, is slightly inferior to both; but still operates flawlessly and shoots well.

Most of the stamped slide P220, P225, and P228's I see are pretty shagged out. Rattly slides, worn-off bluing, etc. Every once and awhile I handle a real gem, like the 1993 P228 I bought. Tight as a drum, and even though it was indeed used in its previous life as a LE weapon, it makes me think maybe there's something to the hubbub about the German-made SIGs.

Then I shoot my American-made P220, and wonder what the hubbub is about.

:scrutiny:

outofbattery
April 12, 2007, 08:52 AM
Any DA/SA SIG with no rail is fine by me.My West German 226's are rattletraps with very little finish left,to be honest my unclassic P239 and SIG Pro are considerably better made and finished.Overall,the classiest SIG to me is a blued alloy P230 or stainless P232 with Nill grips.Have the former,would like one of the latter but mostly just fer lookin' at.

And why is this in the revolver section?:neener:

The Law
April 12, 2007, 12:31 PM
I love my Sigs. Now I want more. :D

Anyone have the Short Reset Trigger on theirs? Do you like it?

Trempel
April 12, 2007, 01:32 PM
For me, traditional DA/SA, without rails. Like my P225, although I can understand going to a milled stainless slide to better handle high pressure rounds. For winter carry, I'll probably pick up a used P229 in .357 SIG

KMBRTAC45
April 12, 2007, 04:28 PM
I love my WG 228, 230 & 225. would'nt trade them for anything.

Baphomet
April 12, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'm new to SIGs, so forgive my lack of nostalgia for stamped slides on these newfangled autoloaders (I cut my teeth on 1911's)...
Same story here... I'm an old hand with 1911's but new to Sigs, so I don't know stamped slides from forged, or milled, or whatever my new 229 EQ has on top. It's a rock solid shooter and that's Priority One for me. I had it converted to DAK, swapped a couple springs, and couldn't be happier with it. The rail is a total non-issue in my book: I don't use it, don't look at it, and really don't care about it one way or the other.

HorseSoldier
April 12, 2007, 05:28 PM
They should bring back the 228 for American markets. The P229 just doesn't feel the same in the hand.

1BLINDREF
April 12, 2007, 05:56 PM
I like them all :D :D
I prefer the older ones, but the new ones are nice,too.
I have some of both:
P220, P220 Carry SAS, P226 PME, P228, P229 DAK, P239, and a Trailside. Only one with a rail - P226 PME
I almost came home with a P239 SAS 9mm last night, but I was a little short on cash :(

Black Majik
April 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
I've shot many SIGs, including some worked over by Bruce Gray. I love SIG pistols, but I'm still only at one SIG Sauer, my German P226. None of SIGarm's offerings has caught my eye, though I do spend a lot of time over at SIGForum. I just don't feel their quality is what it used to be. For me, if another itch comes for a SIG pistol, I'll be getting a CPO

I'll get a P220 someday, but all my 1911s hog all the .45 ammo, so I'm still stuck with one SIG and haven't had the itch for a new SIG in years :evil:

RH822
April 12, 2007, 09:02 PM
I am buying a P226 from my shooting buddy. I shot it when he first bought it and told him if he ever decided to sell it to give me first chance. My finance officer gave me the thumbs up and I am picking up my first Sig tomorrow.

RH

10-Ring
April 12, 2007, 09:46 PM
I have not become the SIG fan I thought I would. I've just found other guns to tickle my fancy better :scrutiny: But in a purely asthetic sense, I like the blue classic West German guns like the P220, P226, P225 better than what they have evolved into...maybe I'm old fashioned, but in my eyes, they just lost something in the translation when production moved to the US

phantomak47
April 12, 2007, 10:17 PM
I like the DAK, I didnt think I would but I do, but that SIG single action is very sweet.

never_summer
April 12, 2007, 10:26 PM
I just found a sad p220 west german at the local shop today. It looked like a normal west german p220 until i asked to look at it. The trigger, hammer, slide release and decocker had been sanded and polished. The slide also looked like it had been attempted to be polished and then had a very bad reblue job. It was a mess for 450

I love to shoot my p220 though :cool: almost thought i could get another one for cheap

loplop
April 12, 2007, 11:08 PM
Keep looking. I scored my sweet P228 for $450.

cslinger
April 12, 2007, 11:23 PM
220ST for me. But as a rule I like my SIGs.
traditional double action/decocker.
No rails.
Two Tone/Stainless but I really love all the ones that come with a trigger :neener:

full metal
April 13, 2007, 12:54 AM
Today i went and bought a sig p220 police trade in 45ACP its a W.GERMANY model this is my first sig i ever owened.I wanted a p229 for carry but you can't beat the price,$339 with tax out the door $369 the slide has holster wear about 70 percent blueing left on it and might need repainting but other then that the gun is good,the barrel looks real good and it feels like they might have put new springs the gun feels tight.I can't wait to go shooting on sunday,they had one that had a hammer like a 1911 A1.i asked the guy at the gun store and he said it was a early model.I passed on it any info?that gun was $10 dollers more.
Well happy shootin over and out.

270Win
April 13, 2007, 01:10 AM
+1 West German P228...:)

1BLINDREF
April 13, 2007, 01:14 AM
You suck full metal :neener:
I've been looking for one of those. I'd send it to Tripp for a Hard Chrome job and put a set of Nills on it :D
Good luck with it, I bet it shoots perfect - If not, I'll take it off your hands. :evil:

Tom Servo
April 13, 2007, 02:10 AM
Actually, all my Sigs are German sans-rail offerings: a P225 (I got one with a great trigger), the P245 (which should never have been discontinued), my old and beaten P220 and one of the last P228's out of the gate.

I see no need for a rail, and what's more, it makes holster selection much narrower. I've got no use for the DAK trigger or any of the "gimmicks" they seem to have gone into lately, though I'd LOVE a P220 Equinox in full-size.

ugaarguy
April 13, 2007, 02:53 AM
My preferences run to SA autos like the 1911 and BHP, and to S&W revolvers. However there is something about the 239 that is drawing me to it. We'll see what happens.

The gunshop where I now work has an old P220 chambered in 7.65 Browning. The slide flats are polished (likely prompted by holster wear), but the finish on the top of the slide was left alone. Otherwise it appears to be a solid piece in a chambering not commonly seen in that model in the US. It's a really cool and unique SIG.

Hkmp5sd
April 13, 2007, 07:04 AM
My German made P226 showing lots of holster wear and handling.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Hkmp5sd/SigP226a.jpg?t=1176458477

Ala Dan
April 13, 2007, 08:38 AM
Att: full metal My Friend-

By "early model" the dealer might have meant "Browning BDA" with a heel
magazine release? If that is the case, $10 is a fair price difference for a
weapon with those markings. ;) :cool: :D

MustangHowie
April 13, 2007, 09:54 AM
I like my P226 Herndon VA JJ (1988) so much that I have one for carry, one for the range, and one new in box for a back up.:evil:

loplop
April 13, 2007, 10:00 AM
I would add to my earlier post that although I find the new SIGs to be fantastic quality and in some cases better than the W German SIGs... I do prefer SIGs sans rail. I do not like the rail forced down my throat. I want a rail on my home defense piece, and that's it.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a non-railed P226 Navy a few years back. I just like it alot better than the railed model. :barf:

kwijibo
April 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
I am thinking about purchasing a used sig p225 from a dealer in my area. They want 329 for it. Good deal? Also I understand they are no longer imported here. Will that be a problem with getting magazines and parts and such?

Alan Fud
April 19, 2007, 08:25 PM
I like the SAS DAK models. :)

Texshooter
April 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
AD,

Personally I don't like any rails on my tools, and if possible, I prefer round trigger guards.

YMMV

sig228
April 20, 2007, 12:04 AM
KC Sig 228. I like it so much, I bought its younger brother, a 229. Both are great shooters. Several thousand rounds and not a single problem. Completely reliable. But then again, as my name indicates, I am slightly biased.

The Lone Haranguer
April 20, 2007, 01:02 AM
I've owned "classic" SIG pistols and still have one, a 1995 German P228. Few of their current offerings float (or floated) my boat except for the GSRs and the P220 SAO. Double-stack/double-action autoloaders - which most of them are - are too large for my hands and I don't shoot as well with them. I purchased a GSR Revolution Carry last month, have had nothing but trouble - failures to feed - with it and shipped it back to NH yesterday, the first time I've ever needed their customer service.

April 20, 2007, 02:37 AM
My last 2 pistols have been SIG-SAUERs. An "American" one - a '94 P229, complete with the American-made Nitron-finished machined stainless steel slide, chambered in the distinctly American .40SW caliber, and a very "German" one - a surplus police trade-in West German '80 P6 (P225), stamped and blued slide, in the most ubiquitous German caliber, 9x19. Both are rail-less alloy-framed hammer-fired decocker-only double-action autoloaders. Both are reliable and accurate, and a real pleasure to shoot. At this point I express no preference for "Stamped-slide and blued West German" over "Machined-slide Nitron American" SIGs, or vice versa.

I think SIG may have gone a little overboard with the Crimson Trace P220R Carry SAS SAO Elite Equinox Blackwater Rainbow Titanium Military Beavertail X-Five Gun Of The Month mania, although I acknowledge that a lot of those limited-edition and revised pistols appear to be pretty magnificent, but there's no question that the basic SIG platform, as described above, is a pretty sound design for a defensive pistol.

bluto
April 20, 2007, 02:45 AM
I'm in agreement with loplop. I prefer the classic P series non-rail SIGS. I have no use for the rail and I, at first, hated the cosmetics.

But I've found that my American built NavyR is tighter and shoots exactly the same as my non-rail Navy. My American built P220R, on the other hand, runs circles around my German stamped slide P220 (which is no slouch). Tighter in every respect, it shoots like an X-5. No kidding. I hardly notice the rail and the experience of shooting it is just great. It'll shoot right there with the Les Baer's, Nighthawks, and STI's I've tried.

Rinspeed
April 20, 2007, 08:19 AM
I also hate light rails and see no reason to switch from the original trigger.

merkaba
April 20, 2007, 11:38 PM
I prefer the classic black non-rail P220. I am buying a new one in a week or two and wish they still sold them without rails.

Does anyone know where the current P220s are made ?

Lonestar49
April 21, 2007, 08:32 PM

Well, I did it (again :D ) as I went up to get a case of 40cal and 380, and looked at the new Sigs, and they had this P220R, but it was shorter than the standard P220R, and slightly longer than the P220 Carry. I put a deposit on it, and it comes with two 8 round mags, and Sig Night Sights and regular black grips.

I can't find anything at the Sig Site, but it's a Two-Tone Stainless steel barrel, with black aluminum frame, with a rail, but the rail is the same length, but a bit smaller than the other two models rails in depth, same width.

It is the same Height as the standard 220 5.5" and width 1.49" and weight 31.2oz

Anyone have an idea of exactly what P220 DA/SA model this may be?

It's NIB

LS

Soybomb
April 21, 2007, 10:37 PM
My only complaint about my p226 was the slide lock was in a bad place for a high thumbs forward grip and the trigger reset redefined the word long. I loved the feel and the da pull was fantastic.

Ala Dan
April 22, 2007, 12:59 AM
I own a date coded KA West German SIG-SAUER P228, and a KF West German
SIG-SAUER P220A. Both, are solid performers~!

glockman19
April 22, 2007, 01:10 AM
I like the 228 & 229.

Richard.Howe
April 22, 2007, 01:56 AM
Oldie and goodie, West German P220 is still my favorite -- and not for a lack of owning any other Sigs, that's for sure!

The alloy-framed, non-railed, vanilla 220 is about as good as it gets in my book.

Rich

jlh26oo
April 22, 2007, 03:00 AM
I agree. Railless and tailless.

But just out of curiousity (I get the sense that the traditional carbon slides are valued more too), whats the disadvantage of the SS slide (if nitron'd)? Weight/balance? If so what is the weight difference? Going to beat up the frame faster? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "SIG-SAUER "Classic P-series"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!