Flamethrowers

PDA

MicroBalrog
January 7, 2003, 01:20 PM
Apparently, flamethrowers are not GCA-regulated. How much do they cost? Who buys them? Have they been ever used in crime?

If you enjoyed reading about "Flamethrowers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
KMKeller
January 7, 2003, 01:26 PM
And can you fit one in a fanny pack...

PATH
January 7, 2003, 02:06 PM
Just out of curiousity what would anyone want with a flamethrower? :confused:

It does make a wild noise and it looks cool but what are its practical applications?

stans
January 7, 2003, 02:10 PM
And can you fit one in a fanny pack...

No, but it would make for an interesting back pack. Perhaps flame throwers are one of those items that are just never sold as surplus. I really can't see much sporting purpose in them. I think they would be too cumbersome and slow to use as a defensive weapon. I really would not want to eat anything cooked with one.

BamBam
January 7, 2003, 02:13 PM
Just out of curiousity what would anyone want with a flamethrower?

I'd probably rather take a .45 slug than a five second blast from a flame thrower:uhoh:

PATH
January 7, 2003, 02:17 PM
BamBam,

The real drawback of a flamethrower is limited fuel and thus burn time. A well placed .45 round can turn you into one of the Fantastic Four. Flame on as you would become Johnny Torch!

Me I'd rather be shot than burned any day of the week! Well I 'd prefer neither but if I had to choose..........

TearsOfRage
January 7, 2003, 02:37 PM
I imagine they'd be handy for clearing the ice off your sidewalk...

Blackhawk
January 7, 2003, 02:41 PM
They're good for burning enemy troops out of shallow caves and bunkers, but that's about it.

Limited range and very grievous unintended consequences pretty much limit them to being something you don't want.

redneck
January 7, 2003, 02:47 PM
Harbor freight sells weed burning torches for about $19, another $20 for a 25 lb propane tank an there you go. Crank that regulator wide open an you should have a fair amount of reach.

Should work with a $2 plumbing size bottle too, and burn time should still be about 20 minutes.....

Good for everything from those evil dandelions that pop through gaps in the sidewalk, to rebellious marshmellows and everything in between :neener:

Monte Harrison
January 7, 2003, 02:59 PM
It does make a wild noise and it looks cool but what are its practical applications?Setting things on fahr! Duh! :neener:

bogie
January 7, 2003, 03:15 PM
You can usually rent 'em at Knob Creek. Now they make you suit up and everything...

The harbor freight torches meow great for getting campfires and BBQ grills going.

Triad
January 7, 2003, 04:04 PM
What does that have to do with anything?
I really can't see much sporting purpose in them.

KMKeller
January 7, 2003, 04:11 PM
I can just imagine the next time my buddy asks me for a light! Heh heh heh. Hey, Keller, you got a meow match? (gratuitious meow for meow you bogie)

Mike Irwin
January 7, 2003, 04:17 PM
After WW II a lot were sold on the surplus market in the South.

One of the most popular uses was clearing brush on land that had gone fallow during the Depression, and which was now being put back into production.

Gordon
January 7, 2003, 04:34 PM
We have an old flatfender jeep rigged up on a 8000acre ranch near here for "controlled burns". You take a couple big propane bottles and plumb them to dram liguid propane. Then the burner is an industrial sized unit on a 10 foot piece of pipe with a a lever valve to control flow. It shoots 30 to 50 feet as we drive the hell away. The handle gets frozen with all the fuel released, wear gloves and face mask.:cool:

ahenry
January 7, 2003, 04:53 PM
They’re awfully good for burning the prickly off of prickly pear. In drought conditions they (or rather smaller, less oorrahh versions) help ranchers out a lot. They get used in South Texas every few years. Some ranchers use them on a regular basis.

PATH
January 7, 2003, 04:58 PM
Monte Harrison,

Duh! I know its for setting things ablaze. You just have to watch you don't get accused of Arson! :D :neener: Flame on!

Beren
January 7, 2003, 05:09 PM
A flamethrower is a critical part of any survivalist's gear. When SHTF, how else are you going to fight off the Giant Mutant Man-Eating Army Ants??

AZTOY
January 7, 2003, 05:12 PM
Beren

ROTFL:D

DonP
January 7, 2003, 06:05 PM
It would sure be a fast and fun way to clear the back of my three acres that's all overgrown in scrub and stunted trees.

Of course itmight make the soccer mom's on the hiking trail that runs along my property line nervous whenIi did it, but how cool would that all be?

I have to call the local rental place and see if they have one to rent for the weekend.

Don P.

cordex
January 7, 2003, 06:12 PM
Same "sporting" purpose as fireworks.

If I built or bought one, I'd probably fire it up on the Fourth and let it collect dust elsewhen.

Kentucky Rifle
January 7, 2003, 06:14 PM
I was at Tilford's last saturday filling out the "44whatever form" when the owner's wife took a call from someone wanting to know if Tilford's sold flame throwers. It wasn't a joke call either.

KR

80fl
January 7, 2003, 06:31 PM
Boy....Could I tell some stories.

Just the other day I replied to a post and caught the full fury of a "flamethrower":fire: ;)

Plan-B
January 7, 2003, 08:42 PM
The real drawback of a flamethrower is limited fuel and thus burn time.

What, you never saw the intro to Lethal Weapon 4? That guy was burning for a long time!! They can't show it in the movies if it's not real.

MarineTech
January 7, 2003, 09:45 PM
One factor that probably affects the lack of availability of mil-spec flamethrowers, is the lack of parts for them. As I recall, the nozzle unit used a housing containing 6 "matches" to ignite the fuel stream. Once the matches were used up, the housing was replaced with more. I can't imagine there'd be many of these left around anymore since the US hasn't issued a flamethrower since Viet Nam and hasn't manufactured them since Korea. Nor do I imagine that the hoses and gaskets on the things are is very good shape anymore.

Besides, compared to other weapons and equipment, flamethrowers were not that common.

Gordon
January 7, 2003, 09:58 PM
Now the commie flame throwers are a hoot.Instead of compressed air blowing out the napalm they used a cartridge to pressurize the tank when you pulled the trigger!:what:

Mike Irwin
January 8, 2003, 01:18 AM
"the nozzle unit used a housing containing 6 "matches"

Funny thing about those "matches..."

They're actually cartridges...

And they're apparently about the same size and shape as .38 S&W blanks...

Hum....

trapshooter
January 8, 2003, 01:39 AM
Would reduce the time required to 'kill it and grill it'. (One step procedure). Would not taste like mom's, though.:fire:

Should work on Tam's Undead Zombie Bears, but might require excessive amounts of fuel.:evil:

MikeK
January 8, 2003, 01:49 AM
Now where can I get one? Many useful ideas on this thread.

DadOfThree
January 8, 2003, 02:18 AM
Flame throwers not regulated? There you go California! No, CCW? No problem. Just walk down the street in LA with your flame thrower pack on your back and the nozzle/launcher in the crook of your arm. I'm sure you wouldn't get the SWAT team called on you.... flame throwers are not regulated :D

106rr
January 8, 2003, 03:51 AM
Army flamethrowers weigh 74 LBS. The backpack portion contains both compressed air and napalm in separate tanks.
The burn time is only a few seconds. They are intended to be used in short bursts. The scenes shown in the movies are clipped together shots of several flamethrowers used in sequence, something like the 23 shot movie revolvers.
Ordinary gasoline is treated with a thickener (M1 Thickener -- I think) and loaded in the tank. The compressed air drives the thickened gasoline (napalm) out of the nozzle. I never saw any with blank cartridge igniters, they are probably obsolete.
Most flamethrowers were converted to CS dispensers during the late sixties and early seventies. They were issued to riot control units.
Problems -- if you use it without the thickening agent it may burn your hand off. It works with plain gasoline but the stuff is nearly explosive and the fire won't go out at the nozzle. There were very few volunteers to carry that d@mn thing in combat. Many are resistant to being burned alive if a booby trap sets off the napalm. It is far too heavy especally in the tropics.
I'd rather shoot the 106RR than carry a flamethrower!

JoshM
January 8, 2003, 04:18 AM
My old firm [roading contractors] had a flamethrower for scrub burns. It also was available [like all of our gear] to the Rural Fire Brigade in an emergency, probably as a back burn starter.

Newsreel of WW2 infantry assaults often focus in on flamethrowers at work.Spectacular from one view, unimaginable from the other.

MicroBalrog
January 10, 2003, 01:56 PM
However, China still manufactures a version of the russian LPO-1, effective range - 70 meters, weight - 23 kilograms. That's what I call a gun!:D

H Romberg
January 10, 2003, 03:28 PM
But where can you BUY one? My family thought I was odd on the 4th of July when i started igniting the fireworks with a propane torch. They'd love this! Plus, we've got this tree line we need to clear, and I thought.......:evil:

scottgun
January 10, 2003, 06:10 PM
Can I hunt with a flame thrower? I could harvest and bar-b-que the deer all in one step, I would just have to be careful not to start the forest ablaze.

If you enjoyed reading about "Flamethrowers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!