Reloading dies

PDA

bigcim
April 12, 2007, 12:42 AM
Man I hate buying stuff out of a catalogs. I bought my first set of reloading dies and received them today. Its a redding competition seating die. When I opened the package I seen only one die and I thought it was the whole set so now I either got to send this one back or order the other dies

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
April 12, 2007, 01:08 AM
If it says die, you get one. If it says die set, you get two or three depending on whether it's for handgun or rifle. Send the seating die back and go to your local gun shop.

bigcim
April 12, 2007, 01:29 AM
It said sets on the Cabelas web site. Now I understand when I reread it but being my first die purchase I screwed up

Any one have any experience with this die is they worth keeping

Shoney
April 12, 2007, 01:42 AM
Welcome to the forum bigsim!

It is not often one gets rebuked before being welcomed.:D

You did not mention what cartridge you are loading. The Redding die you have is a wonderful piece of equipment, if you have weapons and experience to shoot competition, it will serve you well. If you just want a better than factory load cartridge, you would probably be better off getting a good set of dies.

Iíve reloaded for 46 years, and own standard dies made by (alphabetically): - Dillon, Herters, Hornady, Lee, Lyman, Pacific, RCBS, and Redding. For 1" groups at 100 yards all will do the job. If you want sub 9" groups at 1000 yards, you will need more than just a competition seating die.

Best wishes!

Sunray
April 12, 2007, 01:49 AM
I've been load match quality ammo with regular dies for 30 plus years.
Buy a set with a full length resizing die. Assuming you're loading for a rifle. (A die set with a carbide sizer die for handgun ammo.) You'll need it if you're loading for a semi-auto and if you, one day, end up with two rifles in the same chambering. Like, say an M-1 and a 1903A3. You can't use the same brass in two rifles without full length resizing when you load for one or the other. If you don't you'll have no end of feeding issues. Has to do with chamber dimensions. Some people will buy different makes of brass for each rifle and use one brand in each, but why bother?

scrat
April 12, 2007, 01:54 AM
Lee is your friend.

check out their website. they have the best factory crimp die in the industry icon over everyone. prices are awesome. you can pick up a good set at

www.midwayusa.com

here is the lee site

www.leeprecision.com

cloudcroft
April 12, 2007, 01:54 AM
bigcim,

1. Take a look at Lee Dies...everything you need comes in the dies container (usually a red plastic cylinder).

For specific example, here's what Lee PaceSetter rifle die sets include (pistol dies are similar):

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1176353395.4184=/html/catalog/dies-rifle.html

I get my Lee dies -- and most other reloading stuff -- from Midwayusa.com.

2. I would drop your sig line...it's a hoax...Hitler never said that.

Just a heads-up,

-- John D.

scrat
April 12, 2007, 02:00 AM
yep forgot about that when you buy a set of dies you get a set of dies.

you get the sizing die with the decapper. the adjustable bullet seating die, the factory crimp die, shell holder and a lee dipper with instructions and load data sheet. What more can you ask for. then on top of that they do come in their own case round red one and a green one depending on which one you choose.

Their hand gun dies are awesome. They are carbide steel which means you do not need to lube your cases as with others. same time the people at lee stand behind their product. the people are really great over there. they make a quality product that is 10 times cheaper than anyone then they give you all of the dies needed not just one and a goodluck piece of paper. like some others, just like you foundout.

bigcim
April 12, 2007, 02:32 AM
7mm rem mag, sako rifle

scrat
April 12, 2007, 02:52 AM
the pacesetter dies are available from lee at 29.99

even better through midway. 18.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=377416

check out the reviews on this die set best ever

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=377416

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
April 12, 2007, 06:30 AM
For a hunting rifle, I'd just get the Lee Deluxe die set and get the excellent collet die and case holder Lee Provides in that set. More than accurate enough for most all applications for such a rifle. Redding is just spending money you could apply to other things in this case.

That said, I've owned most brands or used most brands out there. I buy mostly Lee brand for most dies, then buy dies for any special application I want from other companies, such as Hornady and Redding. That way, I have a complete set and can then fine tune my loading process to please me from there if I choose. A lot of folks go with the basic two die set. With a bolt action like the Sako, I'd definately go with the Deluxe Die set and get the benefit an excellent collet neck sizer Lee provides in that set.

Regards,

Dave

ranger335v
April 12, 2007, 10:09 AM
A ditto for what Dave says, and keep the excellant Redding Seater too.

Walkalong
April 12, 2007, 11:27 AM
Definitely keep the Redding seater. :)

cheygriz
April 12, 2007, 03:12 PM
Redding dies are the Cadillac of reloadng dies. Keep it, and order the rest of the set.

saltysquid
April 15, 2007, 09:50 PM
I have seen a lot of recommendations for the redding Redding Competition Seater Die and that's what I am going to get. I have a set of lee's with the factory crimp included, but I plan on getting the EGW undersized sizing die, redding competition seater die and match them with the Lee factory crimp. A combination that seems to be a real winner for handgun reloads. I will try the regular lee sizing die first though to see if I actualy need the Undersized die, but the redding competition is definitely coming.

Walkalong
April 15, 2007, 11:49 PM
DP SU

Walkalong
April 15, 2007, 11:50 PM
The Redding is awesome and I have one for my .45, but the Hornady does a real nice job as well for a lot less money. I have one for 9MM and .40. :)

The Redding is nice for my .45 as I load a number of bullets in it and I can dial in the seater to each bullet.

saltysquid
April 15, 2007, 11:55 PM
I should have said that, if you are going to be loading different lengths in each caliber. I, for instance, am only going to be loading 10mm and it will come in handy being able to easily change between lengths.

MinnMooney
April 16, 2007, 12:34 AM
Why is everyone saying "Keep the Redding Compitition seater die"? It's an excellent seater and with an unlimited budget... I guess I'd say and do likewise but for a hunting rifle where MOA is great, send it back and have enough to purchase 2 sets of RCBS dies or 3 complete sets of Lee dies.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading dies" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!