The Springfield XD Torture Test

PDA

WestonSmith
April 12, 2007, 02:00 AM
I was doing some research online about the Springfield XD torture test, references are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_XD and http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.html

One so-called Torture Test was conducted in which an XD-9 was run over with a truck, frozen in a block of ice, caked with sand, and even stripped and degreased, firing nearly 20,000 rounds without a single malfunction in the process.

So I was wondering, I have an XD-9 and really enjoy it, but why does a torture test like this matter? What would I be doing to my XD?

If you enjoyed reading about "The Springfield XD Torture Test" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sorensen440
April 12, 2007, 02:02 AM
It shows the durability of the xd platform
If they can handle that they will last a long long time with normal use

atblis
April 12, 2007, 02:14 AM
why marketing is important. You have one, you like it, go shoot it. Forget about silly tests.

Plumber576
April 12, 2007, 02:30 AM
That's just breakfast for a USP.

trillium
April 12, 2007, 04:33 AM
That's just breakfast for a USP.

:rolleyes:Hmm... actually they tried to pull this one on H&K (http://www.theprepared.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Item)

http://theprepared.com/images/guns/glocks/g21test/bucketsandresultsUSP2.jpg

Lucky
April 12, 2007, 05:10 AM
Seriously, that's a damned fine pistol.

possum
April 12, 2007, 08:01 AM
that article is from a while back and as amatter of fact i got the gun magazine that it was in while in iraq and that is what made the decision that i was gonna buy one when i got back, and i did. that article is also very helpfull because it has holsters that they reviewed and used during the testing, tells the ones that worked out good and so forth and so on. it is a neat little filler to have on there.

gudel
April 12, 2007, 10:36 AM
when you're new around the block, you have to prove themselves, hence the test. Other well known makers, don't.

to that guy that post hk pic, that test with HK picture is one thing, but how many post problems do you see in this forum with HK? how many XD's problem showing up lately? :)
Looks like they can't get their gun consistent, which I won't bet my life on it.

atomd
April 12, 2007, 11:41 AM
to that guy that post hk pic, that test with HK picture is one thing, but how many post problems do you see in this forum with HK? how many XD's problem showing up lately?

You have to take into consideration that many more people are running out and buying XDs right now, not USPs. There is MUCH more talk lately in general about the XD, good and bad. Granted, HK has sold a good number of USPs but that number is spread out over a much longer time. They also cost a lot more. Some people might say that the cost isn't significant but I think a lot of people treat their $700 pistols with more respect and a gentler hand than their $450 ones. I'd also be willing to bet they spend more for quality ammo and better cleaning supplies...and clean them more often. Heck, even look at all the pictures people post of their HKs. I see more fancy pictures of HKs with nice backgrounds and expensive knives next to them than any other polymer pistol. Most of them look like they've hardly seen any use. Nothing against HK or their owners, I really like their pistols. I try to treat all my guns well but I think the idea of a "beater gun" exists with a lot of people. Glock and XD are more prone to abuse IMHO.

I don't know about you guys but I don't see too many dinged up Ferraris, covered in mud and driving over pothole filled roads.

Lucky
April 12, 2007, 01:53 PM
...Not quite true... Ferarri has a niche market - if the idiots survive they go buy another. Planned obsolescence in the strictest manner!

And these are just Enzos!

http://www.luxcars.ch/reportages/crash_ferrari_enzo/LuxCars_Ferrari_Enzo_Crash_01.jpg
http://www.eden.org/eric/uploads/enzo-crash1.jpg
http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/Ferrari/Enzo/Crash/enzo2.jpg

possum
April 12, 2007, 03:33 PM
when you're new around the block, you have to prove themselves, hence the test. Other well known makers, don't.

glock did a torture test like that what is the difference?

hnk45acp
April 12, 2007, 03:39 PM
You have to take into consideration that many more people are running out and buying XDs right now, not USPs. There is MUCH more talk lately in general about the XD, good and bad. Granted, HK has sold a good number of USPs but that number is spread out over a much longer time. They also cost a lot more. Some people might say that the cost isn't significant but I think a lot of people treat their $700 pistols with more respect and a gentler hand than their $450 ones. I'd also be willing to bet they spend more for quality ammo and better cleaning supplies...and clean them more often. Heck, even look at all the pictures people post of their HKs. I see more fancy pictures of HKs with nice backgrounds and expensive knives next to them than any other polymer pistol. Most of them look like they've hardly seen any use. Nothing against HK or their owners, I really like their pistols. I try to treat all my guns well but I think the idea of a "beater gun" exists with a lot of people. Glock and XD are more prone to abuse IMHO.

there are plenty of 1911s out there that cost more than Sigs or HKs and they have more than their share of problems.
I will give you: There are more Glock problems because there are more Glocks
but I will not give you: There are less HK problems because HK owners baby their guns.
The USP line has been around since 1994 and the problems are few and far between.
Back to original poster:
These "tests" are not really tests.
A proper test would be to take 20 guns from each run and do the same thing to all the guns and see if there is a consensus on the results. In a few years we will know the durability of the XD line. Glocks, HKs and Sigs have many years of proven reliability behind them. All the rest is just marketing.
BTW Detonics shot one of their guns out of a cannon and it still worked
also you can crazy glue a guy wearing a hard hat to an I beam and he won't fall either:)

atomd
April 12, 2007, 04:30 PM
I will give you: There are more Glock problems because there are more Glocks
but I will not give you: There are less HK problems because HK owners baby their guns.
The USP line has been around since 1994 and the problems are few and far between.

But that also doesn't take away from the fact that there is more talk about the XD in general than there is HK talk. Look at the front cover of all the magazines....you see way more XDs than HK. Especially the 45. Look at all the writing on the forums about the XD. They are a hot item that generates a lot of communication in general. More talk right now than HK. So you will see more people raving about them....and on the other hand you will see more people complaining.

I have to disagree with you on the way people treat their belongings. The more people pay for things the better they tend to treat them...in general. We're not talking about the idiots who like to destroy expensive things for fun. Around here an HK costs WAY more than most other polymer pistols sell for. Double what some of them sell for. Have you ever seen someone being reckless with something only to here the owner say "be careful with that! It's worth X amount of dollars"! It's just human nature to value things more that we work more for. If you can afford a $5000 leather sofa you can afford to have the leather cleaned properly. This is like the AR vs AK thing. I'd bet you dollars to donuts that you'll find WAY more people who have never cleaned their AK than people who have never cleaned their AR.

glockman19
April 12, 2007, 04:33 PM
They can try to compare but...I will never be a Glock.

never_summer
April 12, 2007, 04:40 PM
ill help boost the hk talk around here, im gonna trade in a few guns and get an hk uspc .45 and if i like it a full size :evil:

Redhat
April 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
For all you HK lover's talking about proving themselves. Do you know of any elite military units or SWAT teams that use them? I know their rifles are popular with some militaries, how 'bout the pistols?

sorensen440
April 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
Im always amazed at how quickly these turn into a chevy vs. ford debate :banghead:

n00bdave
April 12, 2007, 09:59 PM
XD's and Glocks are like Dell computers...everyone talks trash about them because so many people have them. Kind of the same as the previously mentioned Fords and Chevy's. Thing is, high end computers and BMW's have problems too. I've also heard that it can take months to get parts for a Ferrari.

And as far as H&K's use in SOF...they have the Mk23 pistol and a compact .45 that from what I've heard and read see considerable use.

Redhat
April 12, 2007, 10:07 PM
n00bdave,

And as far as H&K's use in SOF...they have the Mk23 pistol and a compact .45 that from what I've heard and read see considerable use.

Where did you hear that?

n00bdave
April 12, 2007, 10:16 PM
From the H&K site:

One of the most thoroughly tested handguns in history, the MK23/MARK 23 project originated in 1991 when HK began development for the U.S. Special Operations Command, the unit that directs the activities of America’s most elite military units, including the NAVY SEALS and the Army Special Forces. Following stringent comparative trials, on May 1st, 1996 the Mk23 was adopted as a service pistol under the designation MK23 MOD.O.

The compact version (looks like a cross between a USP tactical and a USPC .45) is lighter than the full size Mk 23. That is why it is popular with some who find the fs too heavy.

I really liked my XD...I just didn't shoot as well with it as I would have liked. Good to know they're tough, I guess?

full metal
April 13, 2007, 12:27 AM
I live in a southern border town and let me tell you the border patrol got rid of ther berrettas 96's and replaced them with HK 2000's in 40sw i like them better than the berretta's.
happy shooting.

j2342
April 13, 2007, 12:50 AM
there are some guns that brand new, most of the ones made would not fire 2k rounds without a major problem. dont see hi point and a lot of little pocket guns siging up for any torture tests , but i have shot glocks and if your going with that style of gun. I see no reason to try a XD to save a little bit of money , but what fits my hands and no beaver tail safety and such is often the deciding factors. some want it and Glock makes Glocks , they dont expand or add many features , they got a damn good design right to start with and stuck with it. I would say like S&W did in 1899?, if something works and people love it and buy it, it makes sense. carrying a glock pretty easy , but it prints a bit more then some people like. the slim line maybe as much as they will go to reach out to other customers, i love the gun and love a safety but glock is not going to put one on, but at the range it dont matter and carry you can pack it in a holster that holds it good where no one can hit the trigger. aliminuim precision trigger and those titanium parts and connectors make a very easy to be accurate gun , but it doesn't matter the make if its reliable and you can hit with it, marketing is the last thing you will be thinking about with any gun.:D

tenbase
April 13, 2007, 01:14 AM
...Not quite true... Ferarri has a niche market - if the idiots survive they go buy another. Planned obsolescence in the strictest manner!

And these are just Enzos!

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3073/enzostoreimagelargewq9.jpg

and to remain on topic, I <3 my xd45.

Redlg155
April 13, 2007, 09:29 AM
I don't quite understand the usefullness of the freezing in a block of ice test.

However, I would be interested to see what would happen if they put the weapon in a 30-50 degree below zero environment and then test fired it.

hnk45acp
April 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
I have to disagree with you on the way people treat their belongings. The more people pay for things the better they tend to treat them...in general. We're not talking about the idiots who like to destroy expensive things for fun. Around here an HK costs WAY more than most other polymer pistols sell for. Double what some of them sell for. Have you ever seen someone being reckless with something only to here the owner say "be careful with that! It's worth X amount of dollars"! It's just human nature to value things more that we work more for. If you can afford a $5000 leather sofa you can afford to have the leather cleaned properly. This is like the AR vs AK thing. I'd bet you dollars to donuts that you'll find WAY more people who have never cleaned their AK than people who have never cleaned their AR.

I've actually seen the opposite happen. People who don't clean their HKs or Glocks because they want to see how long it can go without a cleaning. I think that the price thing isn't necessarily a benchmark I would use to gauge how people treat their weapons.

A leather couch works the same whether it's dirty or not. You're talking cosmetics there.:)

Redhat
April 13, 2007, 07:45 PM
n00bdave,

So you got the info from their web site...the one that advertises their guns. If you haven't had a chance to look at and at least hold a Mk23, you should try it.

Let's just say it's pretty large.

Who else carries them?

Super Trucker
April 13, 2007, 09:36 PM
However, I would be interested to see what would happen if they put the weapon in a 30-50 degree below zero environment and then test fired it.

I think I read somewhere that after having the XD in that enviroment, it fired but the Mag didn't drop free, you had to kind of help it out. Something to do with the plastic frame. I don't care about that, if its ever 30 below zero I'm just not going out. The only complaint I have about theXD is lack of parts, unless something changed you can't buy an extractor, fireing pin, ejector and so on, you have to send it to SA and they will do it. 50.00 shipping for a 20.00 part doesn't sound good, even if they may eventually reimburse you.

Redhat
April 13, 2007, 09:37 PM
SA pays shipping I've been told.

n00bdave
April 13, 2007, 11:23 PM
I am no expert on who uses what. I don't even know if someone "in the business" would tell you what they use. Like you said, the Mk 23 is pretty bulky...maybe too much so. That is why they came up with the combat tactical. But does anyone actually use it? Beats me. But if they don't use either H&K pistol, what do they use? Sigs? I have heard that before from somewhat reputable sources. 1911's? Maybe.

Perhaps the only reliable clue would be that the Mk 23 has USSOCOM on the slide (the mil version, not the commercial one). My guess would be, whatever they need for the job, they use. If you really want to know more, there's Wiki and Google.

But now I have said too much and sound like a H&k fanboy.:uhoh:

possum
April 13, 2007, 11:23 PM
SA pays shipping I've been told.
yes they do pay the return shipping, and they will reimberse you up to $50 from the shipping of the gun to them.

Redhat
April 13, 2007, 11:27 PM
Troop,

You got yours back from SA yet?

Taurus_9mm
September 14, 2009, 05:11 AM
I'd never subject any of my firearms to these types of tests but it's heartening to know they can withstand their fair share of abuse and keep on ticking. :)

GunTech
September 14, 2009, 08:19 AM
Only 20,000 rounds? Try 175,000.

possum
September 14, 2009, 12:20 PM
wow talk about back from the dead.

1911 Operator
September 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
They can try to compare but...I will never be a Glock.
heyelll yeah :evil:

scurtis_34471
September 14, 2009, 04:31 PM
I've put about 5,000 rounds through my XD-40 Service without a single malfunction and it eats every kind of ammo I through at it without complaint. I put close to a thousand rounds through it over four ten-hour days at Front Sight without cleaning it and it never so much as hiccupped, dispite the fact that it was full of grit by the end of the class.

SupraBo
September 14, 2009, 04:59 PM
But that also doesn't take away from the fact that there is more talk about the XD in general than there is HK talk. Look at the front cover of all the magazines....you see way more XDs than HK. Especially the 45. Look at all the writing on the forums about the XD. They are a hot item that generates a lot of communication in general. More talk right now than HK. So you will see more people raving about them....and on the other hand you will see more people complaining.

Wow great. I've never cleaned my ak! I've never cleaned any of my plastic guns either. I've cleaned my les Baer though. I went camping this weekend and took my xd because I knew it was going to rain. I can count on that gun. I can count on all my glocks too. The only jams I've had were ammo problems. I would never shoot those guns in a competition either.

possum
September 14, 2009, 06:15 PM
my xd has over 16,500rds and still going strong. however that doesn't mean i don't clean it and maintain it properly.

ArmedBear
September 14, 2009, 06:26 PM
So I was wondering, I have an XD-9 and really enjoy it, but why does a torture test like this matter? What would I be doing to my XD?

In my case, that's why I have the thing (a .45).

As others have said, it's not a target match gun that can take out the X ring with no flyers at 25 yards with each magazine. It's not a presentation grade 1911 or 1873 Colt to sit in a velvet-lined box.

I got it because I wanted a pistol that would be as practical as a good electric drill.

Therefore, I want to know that I can use it like one, not baby it like most guns that I like.

Beldegg
October 10, 2009, 11:47 PM
You want a torture test, just see which ones fire wolf ammo. The only handgun I have encountered that will fire wolf ammo is the glock. The ruger will fire it, but not reliably if it is limp wristed. Yes I know, jump down my throat for firing wolf ammo in a handgun. But the glock 17 will do it. I even kicked nasty So Cal canyon sand into the glock action. It still fired wolf ammo, although with a few stoppages. When I pointed this out to my friends (who saw me do it from a safe distance), they said"yes, but you would never have tried that with anything but a glock". Go figure.

AKElroy
October 11, 2009, 12:14 AM
I have an XDm .40, and I run Wolf 230 gr ball through it all the time. Never had any issues. I have had light primer strikes with my G27, though.

ElkSmoker
January 26, 2010, 01:28 AM
I've run countless rounds of wolf 230 fmj through my XD 45 compact...never one problem, and I don't have to pick up the "brass".

harmon rabb
January 26, 2010, 05:55 AM
"You want a torture test, just see which ones fire wolf ammo. "

My xd 45 has eaten wolf and worse without issue.

Just One Shot
January 26, 2010, 09:56 AM
Beldegg You want a torture test, just see which ones fire wolf ammo.
I have 3 XD's in various calibers and I have yet to find an ammo they won't eat.

I've owned 4 total over the last year and all were new except the .45 Service I just traded for and it only had 65 rds through it when I got it (I traded a Glock 30 for it).

Out of all of them I've had 1 FTF and that was at the first trip to the range. Since then all have worked flawlessly. There's nothing wrong with Glocks, I just prefer the XD.

As far as the others, they may be good guns but I like the features and the price of the XD line.

I've heard some say the XD's aren't as accurate as brand X but I don't see it. As long as you are loading them with quality ammo they are plenty accurate for me. In fact they are pretty darn accurate with the cheap stuff.

For the most part the accuracy lies with the shooter more than the gun. The last time at the range 3 of us were shooting quick fire drills at 25 yards and my XD .40 SC was more accurate than the 2 full size S&W .40's that were there. Does that mean the XD is better? :scrutiny: No! It means I was the better shot on that given day.

In the end we all have a personal preference in all aspects of our lives. It's kind of like women. How boring would it be if all women had the same facial features, body shape and hair color?

:)

TG13
January 26, 2010, 10:46 PM
As others have said, it's not a target match gun that can take out the X ring with no flyers at 25 yards with each magazine- Armed Bear

i think Rob Leatham and Team Springfield would disagree..

both the XD and XDm have match grade barrels.. the barrels are manufactured in Austria by Bohler-Stahl.. it's how the barrels are fitted that determines the "match grade" accuracy..

Gungnir
January 26, 2010, 11:34 PM
I don't quite understand the usefullness of the freezing in a block of ice test.

I did this the other day, it was -45F and I ran about 5 mags of WWB plinking ammo through my XDm 40, worked flawlessly.

Although I did have serious qualms for the first Mag, it had to be done though, I've been a little concerned about how it would work at 40 below.

John Parker
January 27, 2010, 01:16 AM
They can try to compare but...I will never be a Glock

No, no you won't.

MachIVshooter
January 27, 2010, 01:56 AM
That's just breakfast for a USP

Hahahaha.

USP's are good guns, but they're no where near the sturdiest. Case in point, a friend of mine and I we're trying to use up some reloads that wouldn't run in a Browning hi-power. These were .40 S&W with 150 gr. plated pills.

Both of us had case head separations from firing slightly out of battery. It slightly bent the extractor on my S&W 4006 (which was a 12 year old Wyoming Fish & Game trade-in when I bought it.....6 years ago), which I later removed and straightened. It BROKE the extractor on his 4 month old USP.

Again, I've never called the USP or other HK guns junk, but there are tougher pistols out there. Not sure the XD is one of them, though.

Man, I just realized how old this thread is :banghead:

harmon rabb
January 27, 2010, 06:28 AM
It's kind of like women. How boring would it be if all women had the same facial features, body shape and hair color?

I'd say that depends on what their facial features, body shape, and hair color were :p

If you enjoyed reading about "The Springfield XD Torture Test" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!