Question about ordering stripped AR-15 lower in NY

PDA

Superpsy
April 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
Just a quick question about the legality of ordering stripped lowers in NY. Let me get this straight...I can't order a stripped lower to be transferred through an FFL unless it was manufactured prior to '93? :banghead:

This makes me so mad. :fire: Thank goodness I'm leaving soon...

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about ordering stripped AR-15 lower in NY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MHBushmaster
April 14, 2007, 04:24 PM
You can order a stripped lower no problems. You just have to assemble it in the ban configuration: no bayo lug, no telescoping buttstock, and no A2 flash hider (you can use any muzzle break as long as it is permanently attached, ie Silver Solder, not loctite). You can only use preban mags if they are hi-cap (over 10 rounds), or you can use new production mags as long as they are 10 rounds or less.
I hope this makes sense, and the magical "date" for something to be considered pre-ban is prior to the date in 1994 when the AWB was signed into law, but most folks try and stay with 1993 as it is more easier to distinguish that it is preban.

gaweidert
April 14, 2007, 04:28 PM
You can order any of the currently manufactured stripped lowers for AR's. What you cannot put on the rifle are the collapsible stock, a bayonet lug and a flash supressor. And of course you can only use 20 or 30 rounds mags made before 1994 as the ones made after are way to dangerous to own. You just have to make the rifle compliant with the now expired AWB and all will be good to go. Last year I put together a rifle using a new RRA lower that came with a their two stage NM trigger.

Superpsy
April 14, 2007, 04:59 PM
this is actually much better news than I thought...I'll have to look into this some more.

BobMcG
April 14, 2007, 05:40 PM
And just how is it the date a magazine (not stamped with such a date and sans a serial number) was manufactured be proved?

Prince Yamato
April 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
And just how is it the date a magazine (not stamped with such a date and sans a serial number) was manufactured be proved?

There are two answers to that:

1) It can't (unless the magazine has some really unique feature only common to mags made after 1994)

2) Magic

Superpsy
April 20, 2007, 12:34 PM
I was thinking about this and I'm still a little confused as to why there's that magic year of 1994.

So I can order a stripped lower (just did...Stag Arms) and assemble with new parts as long as it doesn't have evil features? So I get around the magic '94 date?

This law doesn't make sense. Oh, wait...:D

MHBushmaster
April 20, 2007, 05:37 PM
Watson, you can buy any stripped lower AR you want in NY State, it could have been made yesterday, it doesn't matter. What matters is how you decide to build up the rifle. You can only have 2 "evil" features. Most folks opt for the pistol grip and the feeding device that sticks conspicuously below the rifle (in other words accepts magazines that are removable: California only allows new AR's to be assembled with a sealed off mag well that has to be loaded by popping out the rear pin and pivoting the whole upper off of the lower to reload the internal mag).
The evil features you cannot have if you use the 2 above (takes mags and uses a pistol grip) are: Bayo lug, telescoping stock, flash hider or threaded muzzle.
So get an A1 or an A2 solid buttstock, make sure their is no bayo lug (you can grind off the "Ears" of the bayo to make it in-operable with bayos), use a target crown barrel or have a permanently attached muzzle break (not a flash hider-they are different). Permanently attach the break by using silver solder and/or blind pinning it (usually done by a 'smith). Assemble the rifle to your specs and follow the law and you are good to go.

Or if you have the big bucks, pick up a pre-ban lower receiver and you can have all the evil features you want: bayo lug, tele-stock, flash hider, etc.

Mags can be determined if they are PRE-BAN mags by the absence of a date stamp on them. New Production AR mags have a date stamp on them, usually on the left side of the mag about 2/3 of the way down, it list the month and year of production, so a mag produced today would read 04/07 or something close to that. If you are caught with a post ban mag you are screwed according to the law irregardless of your rifle being preban or not. Do not use current production mag bodies.

You can buy old beat to holy hell preban mags that look like they were just dug outta the ground since they were dropped 30 years ago. You can replace the spring, floor plate and follower with modern replacements as long as the mag body is preban. Some folks make a good bit of change buying up old preban mags, stripping them down to bare metal, refinishing them, clean up any issues like dents and replace the internals. They look like they are brand new and function just as well.
Good luck, IM me any questions, I've made quite a few AR's in NY in the past few years.

RabonAR15
June 29, 2011, 11:54 AM
I have access to a Stripped Lower AR-15 Essentail Arms J-15 that I would be willing to sell. All J-15's are Pre-Ban as they went out of business in 1993. This is an excellent oportunity for someone wanting to build up a custom AR-15. (I would build to your specs, for a fee and sell only through FFL) This is NOT a new lower that is once again being made by the New Essential Arms company. This is a true pre-ban lower made prior to them going out of business in 93. So... No gray area!

I will comply with all Federal and State Laws.:banghead: If the firearm is to be shipped, you must comply with local FFL trade requrements.

wnycollector
June 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
You can buy old beat to holy hell preban mags that look like they were just dug outta the ground since they were dropped 30 years ago. You can replace the spring, floor plate and follower with modern replacements as long as the mag body is preban.

I have 50+ pre ban mags that I have done this to. Some of my 20 round mags are pushing the 50 year old mark and they function flawlessly with just a spring replacement.

Smokey Joe
June 30, 2011, 11:55 AM
Hey guys! This thread was 4 years old when you dug it up. More than likely, the OP got all his questions answered, and has been enjoying his New-York-legal AR for years.

Rabon AR 15--Might I respectfully suggest that you post your for-sale stripped lower in the Guns For Sale forum, below?

SharpsDressedMan
June 30, 2011, 12:12 PM
If you build a rifle with a barrel without the gas port, it becomes a bolt action rifle. :D

RabonAR15
July 1, 2011, 06:59 PM
Yaaa I saw that :confused:I am getting photos together now, I do not usually use threads, so this is part learning experience for me. I definatly appreciate the feedback. I will be posting add on the Equipment exchange link soon. Any good suggestions on where I can post Pre-Ban AR15 equipment for sale. (Must comply with all state and Fed laws). Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about ordering stripped AR-15 lower in NY" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!