Sportsmans Warehouse in Lewisville, TX not carrying reloading supplies now?

PDA

ezypikns
April 14, 2007, 06:44 PM
I went by this store today to pick up some small pistol primers. They were out. Out of almost everything in the way of reloading supplies. They've been short of stuff for about the last few months, but today the shelves were almost bare.
I asked the manager of that department what the problem was and he told me that he simply can't get the supplies from the manufacturers. That's what he said in January too. Said that the government is buying up all that stuff. I asked him why Cabelas could get it and he couldn't? He just shrugged.
This was the only convenient place to buy locally. If they have some reason not to carry reloading stuff, fine. But his story just doesn't sound plausible at all.
Are there any other Sportsmans Warehouse Stores in other parts of the country experiencing shortages in reloading supplies?

If you enjoyed reading about "Sportsmans Warehouse in Lewisville, TX not carrying reloading supplies now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steelhead
April 14, 2007, 06:55 PM
No problems here.

Owen
April 14, 2007, 07:03 PM
the SW here is stuffed to the gills.

average_shooter
April 14, 2007, 07:04 PM
My "local" SW seems to have little on the shelves. All the popular stuff is out of stock; there's a place for it on the shelf, but nothing there. Their primer stock is low as well as powder selection. As far as equipment, they seem to have enough presses, but they don't have as many dies and conversion kits as there is room for.

Also, ammo, especially .223 Rem FMJ has been real scarce. Expensive JHPs and all are readily available, but not general plinking ammo for .223. Unless you buy steel cased wolf, that they have.

cdrt
April 14, 2007, 07:45 PM
I got the same story last month when I stopped there on the way back from the Dallas Pistol Club. Luckily they had some Bullseye on the shelf, so I grabbed three cans on my way out. Looks like it's time for a trip to Gene Sears up in Oklahoma. :(

layusn1
April 14, 2007, 10:30 PM
One of the two here in San Antonio is packed (1604 by 281) The other one has squat 410 and 151).

Mark whiz
April 14, 2007, 10:37 PM
I just got back from my 1st trip to a SW up here in Lafayette, IN. Reloading supplies were pretty well stocked - not tons of everything, but some of almost everything. They had enough primers out to keep me shooting for the next decade :what:

donttellthewife
April 14, 2007, 11:33 PM
Reporting in from Portland OR, the store here has been out many of the most common items for a month. With their latest price hike on powder and primers I don't think I'll be back any time soon. Now I'll stick to mail order internet supplies or gun shows.

Sharps Shooter
April 14, 2007, 11:42 PM
I picked up a case of small pistol magnum primers at SW in Pocatello, Idaho today. I didn't notice any shortage in other loading supplies, but I really wasn't looking. The had a good stock of several brands of primers. That's all I was after when I went in there.:)

bender
April 15, 2007, 12:04 AM
One of the two here in San Antonio is packed (1604 by 281)
that's the one where I buy all my reloading supplies from... but the last few times I've been there they haven't had the powder I was looking for (unique).

Generally they have what I need though, but maybe one out of four trips for powder they may not have what I want...

rbernie
April 15, 2007, 02:30 PM
I've been having the same issues with the Lewisville store. Sadly, they're the only local store with the Xtreme plated 180gr 40cal bullets that I need.

The reloading section doesn't appear to be gettin' smaller - they're just not restocking it.

koja48
April 15, 2007, 02:33 PM
Our local branch here has seen some inventory problems - mostly re: federal primers.

MattB000
April 15, 2007, 02:49 PM
In colorado I've seen the same thing. They seem to have "whatever is left" and haven't received any new stock in ages.

armoredman
April 15, 2007, 04:26 PM
Marana one is out of many things, including small pistol primers. This is why I started experimenting with the magnum small pistol primers in my 38 reloads. They had just a few 100 count Winchester small pistol primers two days ago, and I snagged 'em, even though my brand of choice is CCI.
They quit carrying Accurate #5 entirely. Bummer.

dracphelan
April 15, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure if it would be inconvenient for you, but you might want to try Gunmaster in Plano. I live in Garland, so they are the closest place for me to get most stuff. However, I can get powder and brass from the Garland Public Shooting Range.

ARGarrison
April 15, 2007, 09:44 PM
The Laffayette, IN store is well stocked, but looking closer, Winchester Small Rifle and Large Pistol primer has been out of stock for a while now. They have other makes but Winchester was the cheapest. CCI is now the cheapest. Price went up on the Winchester primers with out any (SR and LP) in stock. Plated .45 230gr bullets are MIA and have been for awhile.

On the loaded ammo side they never seem to have any buckshot in 20ga and very little in 12ga.

armoredman
April 15, 2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, the prices did go up - last year, small pistol primers were about $1.50-1.75, and I paid $2.50 for the Winchesters the other day.

GerryM
April 15, 2007, 10:37 PM
Last time in Sportsman Warehouse in Loveland Co, was same problem, very few Primers or Bulets.. Been that way for a while.

MinnMooney
April 15, 2007, 11:51 PM
Sportsman's Warehse in Anoka, MN has just about everything for the reloader and in good quantities, also. They have all the Lg rifle primers and small pistol primers that you could possibly want. The problem is that I want sm rifle and lg pistol primers! Everywhere I've checked, they're out of small rifle primers 'cause the gov't really IS buying all of the supply.
Our boys are shooting up a storm over there!
I'm surprized that Federal, Win., CCI and the other haven't kicked into overdrive to keep up with the military and us civilians.

CavVet
April 15, 2007, 11:55 PM
Federal Way WA yesterday, a lot of empty space on shelves. I bought 2k of WIN primers, and iirc, there are 3k left. A thousand of one or another, but not more than 5k total left on the shelf.

I asked, they cited availability issues. Look like mailorder & hazmat.

And someone said plated bullets? Ours never carried them, only lead.

:(

ILLINI
April 16, 2007, 12:18 AM
The Sportsman's in the Des Moines, IA location is pretty much cleaned out of powder, regular primers and bullets. They are usually low in stock. As soon as they get restocked, they get emptied within a week. By not getting restocked they are leaving a lot of money on the table...Illini

bpisler
April 16, 2007, 09:43 PM
The sportsman warehouse out in mesa az had
plenty of everything last week.

joneb
April 16, 2007, 10:34 PM
The central Oregon store has let their stock of bulk bullets dwindle among other things, like any other retailer they are looking for what sells :( and turns the most profit for it's space. I think there is a good reason for their slow sales of bulk bullets, it's the lack of flexibility to give the customer what he wants from a local perspective, somebody somewhere determines whats good for the whole :scrutiny: and then they buy quantity and distribute it. Not that there is anything wrong with that :)
I feel fortunate to have good well established alternatives close by :D

JollyWhiteGiant
April 16, 2007, 10:49 PM
The SW here cleared out of most primers within about 2-3 weeks, just got hammered. They still had primers at last years prices and everyone else bumped them up recently. Haven't had tiem to get more in yet and everything has to come from their wearhouse.

layusn1
April 16, 2007, 11:40 PM
It's all of those people spreading primer shortage scare stories. I asked and they said Winchester shut down one factory before the other one started production. I guess Winchesters selling out caused a shortage scare. One of my 2 Sportsman's Warehouses has all the primers you can buy.

GRT338
April 17, 2007, 12:03 AM
Would like to add I was in BASS PRO/Grapevine, Texas store about three weeks ago and couldn't find the reloading section.....I too tracked down the manager and asked about reloading supplies.....I was told "they only gave us 8' for reloading supplies, and that was just making customers upset/mad, so I just dropped all reloading"......that was from the manager. So as far as I'm concerned.....I won't go back to Bass Pro!

GRT

kds99
April 17, 2007, 12:13 AM
thats why i havent been back to bass pro since cableas opened.

Gaucho Gringo
April 17, 2007, 12:20 AM
I went to my local Sportsmans Warehouse a couple of days ago and I was shocked by the bare shelves in the reloading dept. Only a couple of boxes of bullets and primers and getting low on powder and brass. Looked like they were going out of business. Had enough of factory ammo though. Make more money off of factory ammo than selling components?

joneb
April 17, 2007, 02:09 AM
I'm not quite ready to take my foot out yet :what: Would you expect less from me :rolleyes: Well anywho when it was rumored that the "Sportsman's Warehouse" was coming to town, many gun shop/reloading stores were a bit nervous here, and now that the honeymoon is over I think some folks have a better appreciation for the smaller sporting good shops and their FLEXIBILITY :)

teombe
April 17, 2007, 03:30 PM
The SW here in the valley has had threadbare shelves for at least 4 months now. Their bullet supply has dwindled to next to nothing, and they usually only have one brand of pistol primer in stock at one time. Pretty sad.

ARGarrison
May 4, 2007, 01:45 PM
CavVet,

The Sportsman's Warehouse in Indiana has some X-treme plated bullets. Never tried them, but was willing to give them a shot, but it looks like they only got two boxes of each bullet weight size in when they opened. They have yet to restock any. And yes they are out of the 230gr .451 round nose.

Geister
May 4, 2007, 04:11 PM
The one in Austin has been slow to restock on reloading supplies.

ga41
May 5, 2007, 12:23 AM
Stopped by Bass Pro in Macon Ga last night just for fun. Went over to the reloading section naturally and found 2000 Rem LP for 17.99 each 1000. My favorite is Fed 150, but for the price I bought the 2000. They had a good supply of Win as I recall

The-Fly
May 5, 2007, 03:50 AM
+1 on the Colorado ones sucking. Not only are they out of a lot of stuff, their primer prices jumped 25%! To hell with that. I went to the local fun show, got my primers and bullets at reasonable prices, and helped a local vendor to boot.

LeonCarr
May 5, 2007, 06:44 AM
A buddy of mine went to Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday looking for Large Pistol Primers...Zip, Zero, Nada.

I went to the local Cabelas yesterday looking for Large Pistol Primers...Zip, Zero, Nada.

I understand wars and high metal prices and all that, but you can't sell stuff if you don't stock it and put it on the shelf.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

ARCQB
May 6, 2007, 02:56 AM
SW in Anchorage has been low on rifle and pistol primers. Seem to have shotgun primers a plenty.
I have seen some rem amd Federal at the local shops, but all are over 21.00 per 1000 last time I checked. I was hoping for some brass, but all I found at SW was one bag/100 for 19.00. I could have bought four boxes of loaded rem for the same money if I buy 1000 rnds at a time.
Between Haz-Mat and UPS Rip, it just isn't worth trying to buy mail order.

cdrt
May 6, 2007, 07:19 PM
Stopped at the Lewisville store today on the way back from the Dallas Pistol Club 2700. They had quite a bit of powder on the shelves; more than last month and they had some CCI and Winchester primers. Looked like mostly Large Rifle. The bullet section looked pretty well stocked as well.

This may be common knowledge out there, but I found out this store gives a 5% discount to veterans; active duty, reserve and retired.:)

Navy Vet & SWIFT Boat OIC

If you enjoyed reading about "Sportsmans Warehouse in Lewisville, TX not carrying reloading supplies now?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!