Anyone shooting H335 in .308?

PDA

dmftoy1
April 15, 2007, 01:55 PM
I've been playing around and using H335 as I have alot of it laying around for my AR's. I was curious if anyone else had been using it and what they've found? I'm finally getting the COL dialed in for my rifle but what I'm seeing is a bit puzzling to me. The groups appear to be tightest down near the "Starting" loads and open up slightly as I approach the manual "maximums". I'm shooting Hornady 168gr BTHP's and using 39,40,41 and 42 grains of H335 for my tests. The best groups appear to be down in the 39-40 range.

I'm tickled pink because I just shot a .666 group (outside to outside) off of the bench at 100 yards, but I always thought that groups would tighten up as I approached the "max" and it appears to work the opposite. I've got a pound of Varget that I'm going to play with next but I'm just trying to verify my sanity with the H335. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting H335 in .308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
April 15, 2007, 11:58 PM
I shot Varget and H335 "head to head" with the same bullet, and H335 grouped 'slightly' tighter for me.

My rifle, with 150gr. bullets, likes charges near the max end of the spectrum. I use 46gr. H335 with a 150gr Speer.

But each rifle has its own preferences, and with a .666 group (outside to outside?!?!--you're supposed to measure center-to-center, and that'll make it measure much smaller!) I would not change a darn thing.

Zippy06
April 16, 2007, 02:01 AM
Wow, Dave. That's great.
I'm playing with Varget. Waiting on better weather.
Hopefully Wed.
I have some H-335 and H-322, left over from last year. They are next.
I could not tell the difference in my AR.
Wish I could help.

dmftoy1
April 16, 2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys. FWIW the best grouping I got was 39 grains of H335 under an HRN 168 BTHP. (Savage 10 FLP). The COL using the Sinclair Ogive tool is 3.065, but I don't have a "real" COL for those bullets right now. I've loaded up another batch to play with so we'll see if it was a fluke or not. The loads with 40 grains gave me a .776 group so I was pretty tickled with that one as well.

Take care,
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone shooting H335 in .308?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!