Non-chrome AR15 barrel break-in

PDA

distra
April 15, 2007, 05:25 PM
I assembled my first AR15 last week and would like to findout a "proper" (if there is such a thing) break-in for my non-chrom lined barrel. I checked out the Bushmaster site (mine is not a Bushmaster) and they recommend cleaning the barrel after every 20rds up 60 rds. Is this a good idea or a waste of time?

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-chrome AR15 barrel break-in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Deer Hunter
April 15, 2007, 05:29 PM
I heard you clean the bore every three shots for the first 20 shots, but I have also heard that "breaking in" a new bore is bs.

But its not like it would hurt the barrel.

Bartholomew Roberts
April 15, 2007, 05:39 PM
Gale McMillan is a well-known name in the barrel and rifle business. Here were his thoughts on the subject:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12582&highlight=barrel+break+in

I couldn't say myself on the subject; but unless you can shoot 1MOA already, I would not worry too much about it because a barrel break in is not going to give you dramatic changes in accuracy. Some suggest it might make cleaning easier - and my one barrel with a break-in process does clean nice and easy; but generally I wouldn't know enough myself to say one way or the other, so I tend to trust Mr. McMillan's words on the subject.

mec
April 15, 2007, 06:42 PM
The bushmaster break in is a bit more lenient than some. I followed it with my predator, actually cleaning and decoppering a bit more frequently than they recommend. At first, I would get some blue/copper color on my patches but now that the break-in period is past, it takes a lot of shooting for any trace of copper to show up on the patch. I don't know for sure that the break-in drill is responsible but it sure didn't hurt/

Quintin Likely
April 15, 2007, 07:12 PM
Patch the bore a couple times and go shoot.

Break in done.

distra
April 15, 2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks Bartholomew. McMillan makes a lot of sense. I can see cleaning the bore with solvent, but not the bore paste. Hopefully, I'll get to the range this week to sight in my rifle.

Geno
April 15, 2007, 08:21 PM
DPMS is the most strict I have ever seen...clean after every single shot, from round 1 through round 100. They caution that it may take up to 200 rounds to break the barrel in fully.

If you enjoyed reading about "Non-chrome AR15 barrel break-in" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!