Knob Creek

PDA

hornadylnl
April 15, 2007, 06:36 PM
I just got back from the Creek. The only other time I went was back in 99 or 00. Overall, I was pretty disappointed this time. There wasn't much ammo at all and what there was, was priced sky high. 1k of anything pretty much started out at $300 and went up from there. There was a guy there that had wooden crated 308 that was literally crumbling. The brass was all coroded and he still wanted $300 a case. A sign on it said 100% reliable. I'd have to watch him shoot a few k with his face behind his gun before I'd believe that.

The first time I went, people were wheeling and carrying case after case of ammo. I saw very few people carrying out ammo this time. It even seemed like the shooters were doing a lot less shooting as well.

The weather wasn't too bad Friday but it rained almost all day Saturday. I finally left after the second run of night shooting. Didn't want to get any more soaked waiting for it to get dark.

I picked up some decent deals. I got 8# of new production 844 powder for $92. 1000 new 55gr fmj for $52, 500 new 62gr fmj for $30, and 1500 pulled 62gr for under $70. I also got 6 new USGI 1911 mags for $40.

The moral of the story is if you don't reload, you'd better start now!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
saltysquid
April 15, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hmmm, Knob creek on the rocks. Sorry, different Knob creek, wandered off there.

hornadylnl
April 15, 2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't know there was a Knob Creek whiskey until I saw some bottles in one of the glass cases in the range house.

saltysquid
April 16, 2007, 10:37 PM
It's realy good stuff on the rocks.

hornadylnl
April 16, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'll take your word for it. I'm not a whiskey man.

BTW, I just cranked out 400 rounds of 45 acp on my LNL a little bit ago in an hour. I wasn't in any hurry at all. Hopefully the Dillon you ordered will serve you well. :neener:

saltysquid
April 19, 2007, 06:30 AM
Since I have gotten old bloats me so I hardly drink it, but I'm not supposed to drink anything because of heart problems. I do have either a bourbon or scotch on the rocks every once in a while. KC is my favorite bourbon.

I have the 550, have it all set up with dies adjusted and just need my powder scale to start making ammo. I also ordered the mr. dial for easily keeping track of powder settings while working up the loads. I like it a whole lot so far, everything is very well made. I even like the manual indexing while setting it up, makes it easy. I think it's going to be perfect for me. If I load 200 rounds that will be about it for the month. I looked at the 650 but I just don't need the auto indexing or 5 stations. I will never need the case feeder for it either.

I am only going to be reloading 10mm period. With a Mr. Dial for the small powder adjustments I will do and a redding competition bullet seating die for oal adjustments for each bullet I will be set. That's pretty much all the adjustments or changes I will need to make. I sold my .40 and .45's and it's 10 all the way.

IDriveB5
April 20, 2007, 01:28 AM
Haha, I was half worried that this thread was going to suggest that Knob Creek goes well with reloading...

saltysquid
April 20, 2007, 03:15 AM
LMAO, not hardly. After the reloading and shooting comes a KC on the rocks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Knob Creek" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!